Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For those making their own ICC profiles...  (Read 2443 times)

dwood

For those making their own ICC profiles...
« on: January 17, 2009, 08:18:58 pm »

I'm considering getting a system to build my own profiles and could use some input on what 'tools of the trade' you folks like.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:12:41 pm »

EyeOne Match

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:29:58 am »

The best profiles I've seen outside of command line Argyll are Monaco PRofiler. Yet I don't have it so use my trusty Profile Maker for external profiles.
I have used an i1 Rev B spectro for many years, which comes with i1 Match.
IF there were some third party apps for the ColorMunki that would be a great option.

The profiles for print so far have been very close to Profile Maker though so for the price difference it seems viable for photographers running rgb profiles.

dwood

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
The best profiles I've seen outside of command line Argyll are Monaco PRofiler. Yet I don't have it so use my trusty Profile Maker for external profiles.
I have used an i1 Rev B spectro for many years, which comes with i1 Match.
IF there were some third party apps for the ColorMunki that would be a great option.

The profiles for print so far have been very close to Profile Maker though so for the price difference it seems viable for photographers running rgb profiles.

Hi Neil,

<<IF there were some third party apps for the ColorMunki that would be a great option.>>

Is this to suggest that you like the ColorMunki hardware but think the s/w is lacking? Also, do you, or anyone reading this, have any experience with the Spyder3 Studio package from Datacolor?

Cheers,
Doug

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 02:19:59 pm »

Quote from: dwood
Hi Neil,

<<IF there were some third party apps for the ColorMunki that would be a great option.>>

Is this to suggest that you like the ColorMunki hardware but think the s/w is lacking? Also, do you, or anyone reading this, have any experience with the Spyder3 Studio package from Datacolor?

Cheers,
Doug

I don't know that I would say lacking as it meets the needs for target users. It's just that it is a great fast spectro that could be exploited with higher level software.
Even something like i1 Match would cover more things. I am pretty frustrated with the X-Rite installers though. They should have more options when installing, and an uninstaller.

I haven't used the latest Colorvision gear. The last set was already pretty good feature wise. The new Studio package looks very complete for the price. The only thing is the colorimeter included is not going to be as much fun as a ColorMunki. Let's see who gets to play with the X-Rite SDK for the CM before we list the CM as an entry level kit....

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:51:32 pm »

The ColorMunki software builds very, very good printer profile that rival in its default mode, ProfileMaker Pro (the software is really more a hybrid of ProfileMaker and PROFILER). The UI kind of needs work, there were some bugs reported early on under Vista. As a Mac user, I can't comment, it worked fine for me. The App setting application and some of the external functionality beyond building profiles is kind of lame (Im being polite in terms of the App setter which you don't have to use, it should be pulled from the package). Match is good, not really as robust (the new iterative options in Munki are neat). Match is also going to cost more because you'll have to get yourself its Spectrophotometer, the EyeOne Pro which is excellent but more expensive.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dwood

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 05:39:51 pm »

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate the knowledge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up