Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: urgent question- is Norton Ghost schedulable?  (Read 3146 times)

ruthiebabe

urgent question- is Norton Ghost schedulable?
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:35:04 am »

Have just purchased Norton Ghost (boxed) but am uncertain whether it is suitable for my needs. I want to schedule the backup to run automatically at set intervals (eg weekly, say) and I can find information to say that Norton Save and Recover can be instructed to do this but not whether Ghost can. I know that the two programmes are similar in many ways but this is important and I don't want to open the box if not.

Can anyone who uses Ghost tell me yay or nay? Also while you're there any thoughts about how you find either programme. I use vista.

I am considering exchanging it if the other will prove  a better solution for me.

TIA, Ruth

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:10:04 am »

Quote from: ruthiebabe
Have just purchased Norton Ghost (boxed) but am uncertain whether it is suitable for my needs. I want to schedule the backup to run automatically at set intervals (eg weekly, say) and I can find information to say that Norton Save and Recover can be instructed to do this but not whether Ghost can. I know that the two programmes are similar in many ways but this is important and I don't want to open the box if not.

Can anyone who uses Ghost tell me yay or nay? Also while you're there any thoughts about how you find either programme. I use vista.

I am considering exchanging it if the other will prove  a better solution for me.

TIA, Ruth

First two google hits for "norton ghost schedule" seem to suggest it can be scheduled.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 11:16:48 pm »

If you're running any version of Vista other than Home, why not use the built-in image based backup?  Hit Start | Backup . . .

ruthiebabe

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:47:17 am »

Thanks for the replies, I am running Home version, shame.

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:35:05 pm »

You might consider Acronis.  Currently ghost does not support a bootable image backup for Vista 64 - and frankly, the *only* Symantic software I reccomend running is their un-installer

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:31:12 pm »

Quote from: Joh.Murray
and frankly, the *only* Symantic software I reccomend running is their un-installer

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Except for the part where it doesn't actually un-install (fully). I had to re-install windows when I wanted to get rid of bloatware symantec products.
Pages: [1]   Go Up