Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best option for focus-blend panoramas?  (Read 3645 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Best option for focus-blend panoramas?
« on: January 16, 2009, 11:42:53 pm »

Starting to work with 30 to 40 inch high pano prints (by about 80" wide).  64bit CS4 made me do it.

I'm trying to get hyper sharp, pixel perfect images.  That requires about 3 rows of images with a long lens (like 105mm and 135mm at f11 on a 1.5 crop factor sensor).  Focus blending is a must.  There is no way to carry sufficient depth of field from foreground to infinity without blending 2 or 3 focus bracketed images at each position.

What's the best workflow for this?

CombineZM produces the best focus blending and alignment I have seen.  But it's fairly hard to work with and not at all organized for batch processing large numbers of focus stacks.  For instance to use its batch processor utility you first have to put each stack in a separate directory which isn't much fun for a 60 image pano.

PTAssembler can automatically invoke CombineZM for each image, but unfortunately the user is required to endlessly click away CombineZM warning boxes throughout the process.  That's a few hundred clicks over an hour or so for a big pano, not my style.

As far as I can see PTGui and the other pano programs don't offer automated focus blending at all...or do they?  What other options are there?  Would appreciate any advice or comments.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:55:25 am »

Quote from: bill t.
CombineZM produces the best focus blending and alignment I have seen.  But it's fairly hard to work with and not at all organized for batch processing large numbers of focus stacks.  For instance to use its batch processor utility you first have to put each stack in a separate directory which isn't much fun for a 60 image pano.
You should stop being such a big baby!

All you have to do is one-time-only make a template directory containing more empty directories than you will ever need, ie more than the amount of individual images you will ever have in a pano.  Name them like "c01,c02,c03...".  Then copy as many of these empty directories into a working directory, and populate those working directories with your focus stacks.  It's really no trouble at all, and you have the advantage of placing as few or as many focus brackets as you want in each directory...no silly requirement to shoot exactly the same number of focus brackets for each pano sub-frame.  Then just point CZBatch.exe to that set of directories and let it go.  Don't forget to click the "Clip to original size" checkbox.  Your finished, stacked, properly color managed frames will be found neatly arranged in a new directory, ready for ordinary stitching.  What could be easier?

Without question CombineZM is the superior choice for focus stacking and aligning, many thanks to Alan Hadley.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:15:39 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
Without question CombineZM is the superior choice for focus stacking and aligning, many thanks to Alan Hadley.

But no support for 16 bit images!

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up