Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The average of many frames.  (Read 1409 times)

Lin Evans

• http://www.lin-evans.net
The average of many frames.
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:37:45 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Hi Paul,

There are several possibilities depending on your subject matter. Let me explain what's available and loosely how they work.

First there are algorithms which do what is called image "stacking". These stacking algorithms are primarily used for astrological photography and have the advantage of "averaging" as well as multiplying exposure time to minimize noise. They work on the assumption that the image for each frame is essentially identical except for perhaps exposure time and slight focus differentiation. Search the web for "Stacking" software and you will come up with quite a number of them.

The second group of algorithms are designed "primarily" for enhancing depth of field and have their origins in photomicroscopy. Because of the extreme magnification with a microscope, the depth of field is tiny and it's impossible to see a three dimensional subject all in focus simultaneously. By focusing on the top-most (closest to the lens) portion of the subject and shooting a frame, moving the platform (changing the focal point) slightly and shooting a frame and continuing this until all portions of the subject have been in focus, the software searches for best edge sharpness and combines the frames into a single image in complete focus.

Though this software is designed for the microscope, it works quite well for macrophotography as well as long as the lens being used doesn't greatly change the "size" of same areas of the subject between frames.

There are three packages with whch I'm familiar available to do this (see my demonstration in the digital image processing forum here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/cgi-bin....5;t=730

There are links to each program there. My suggestion would be to try the freeware CombineZ program which is quite powerful. It does both "averaging" and "combine" of multiple images.

Lin[/font]
Lin

paul_friis

The average of many frames.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 06:02:16 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I am looking for a piece of software that can help me accomplish the following.

I have a large number of frames shot from a fixed position. They can be made into a timelapse movie but I would find it more interesting if the frames could be placed on top of each other and the average tonal?value of each pixel from top til bottom could be calculated and output to an image. It would produce an image that in some ways resembles a very long exposure photography.

If you know of a program that can do this or a method or plugin for photoshop I would be happy to know about it.
-Paul[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up