Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell 2408wpf  (Read 4628 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Dell 2408wpf
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:34 pm »

Has anyone here used this monitor? It's had very good reviews and is moderately priced.

Any tips or pointers to something similar would be welcome.

Thanks

Jeremy

Sheldon N

Dell 2408wpf
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »

I've been happy with it, very good monitor for the price.

It doesn't have quite as good of a viewing angle as a nice S-IPS panel such as the more expensive NEC WUXI series, but it's much better than the inexpensive TN panel designs you see at Best Buy, etc.

It is a wide gamut monitor, so you'd need to use color managed applications and profile the monitor. I had to switch to Firefox for a web browser because the colors were over the top saturated in IE. Firefox recognizes image color space tags, and also assumes an sRGB color space for untagged images.

Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Dell 2408wpf
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:25:30 am »

Quote from: Sheldon N
I've been happy with it, very good monitor for the price.

It doesn't have quite as good of a viewing angle as a nice S-IPS panel such as the more expensive NEC WUXI series, but it's much better than the inexpensive TN panel designs you see at Best Buy, etc.

It is a wide gamut monitor, so you'd need to use color managed applications and profile the monitor. I had to switch to Firefox for a web browser because the colors were over the top saturated in IE. Firefox recognizes image color space tags, and also assumes an sRGB color space for untagged images.
Thanks: I gathered from the reviews that some sort of profiling was essential (I'd assumed as much, anyway). I have a Huey, which will do for now: yes, I know there are far better options but the piggy bank is somewhat depleted at the moment! I'm using a Mac and I think Safari is well-behaved as regards colour management.

Jeremy

Sheldon N

Dell 2408wpf
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 12:46:40 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
Thanks: I gathered from the reviews that some sort of profiling was essential (I'd assumed as much, anyway). I have a Huey, which will do for now: yes, I know there are far better options but the piggy bank is somewhat depleted at the moment! I'm using a Mac and I think Safari is well-behaved as regards colour management.

Jeremy

Safari will recognize images that contain a color space profile and display them properly using your monitor profile. However, it doesn't apply the monitor profile to untagged images, which can result in them appearing more saturated than they should be when using a wide gamut monitor.

Firefox 3 (with color management enabled) assumes that any untagged images is in the sRGB color space (usually a safe bet) and applies the monitor profile to those images as well as images tagged with a color space profile.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Dell 2408wpf
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 03:55:27 am »

Well, it arrived yesterday. I'm pretty impressed: once I'd calibrated it, the awful green tinge vanished and the colours seem pretty good.

One question: I'm calibrating it using Huey Pro. How do I determine and set the brightness? I can vary it using the OSD, of course, but that doesn't give me any numeric values. Do I have to trade up to a better calibration system?

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up