Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery causing color shift...  (Read 2234 times)

Straus

Recovery causing color shift...
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:41:45 pm »

In LR 2 I've been getting on odd color shift when using the recovery tool. The image will shift to a peach color tone. When I used to use LR1.4 the image stayed fairly true to what it was before adding the recovery adjustment...

Has anyone else noticed this?

This has been the case for me in LR2 to the current 2.2...

Thanks
John

Panopeeper

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 06:52:12 pm »

Camera, ISO?
Gabor

Straus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 06:58:44 pm »

Various Canon bodies (5D, 5DmII, IDmII, IDSmII) and all ISO's...  It shifts the same across the board.

Quote from: Panopeeper
Camera, ISO?

Panopeeper

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:04:17 pm »

Quote from: Straus
Various Canon bodies (5D, 5DmII, IDmII, IDSmII) and all ISO's...  It shifts the same across the board
That's strange. I do know the reason for some color shift with certain models at certain ISOs, but not so generally.

Why don't you upload one sample raw file?
Gabor

Nat Coalson

• http://www.NatCoalson.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 10:12:34 am »

This is problem is common - I've seen both Recovery and Fill Light cause color shifts. Both must be used judiciously.

In particular, Revovery. Consider what it does: it moves/copies data between channels in order to decrease levels in highlights.

If you have a photo with what appear to be blown out highlights, the pure white values might be in only one channel; there may be image data in the other channels. With Recovery, if Lightroom finds data in the other channels, it's copied into the channel that's clipped.

If all three channels are clipped, Recovery won't fix the blown highlights - at least not in a way that's at all appealing. The result of Recovery replacing highlight detail most often is an ugly gray color.

I recommend that you use Recovery only when it's absolutely necessary (and only to recover blown highlight detail), and never at values above +20. Even then, you might see color shifts.

Try to get the highlights where you want them by decreasing Exposure first. If necessary, you can then you can lighten the image overall using Brightness.

If you need to/want to use Recovery, you might be able to somewhat compensate for the color shift using white balance.
Nathaniel Coalson
Author of [url=http://
Pages: [1]   Go Up