Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599  (Read 3765 times)

jeremydillon

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« on: January 15, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »

I've been looking at replacing my fading 1st generation Eizo. (the backlight struggles to make 110 now ...)
I've pretty much decided on the NEC 2690 mk2 but noticed that the once impossibly expensive super wide gammut 2180wg now seems affordable.
I wouldn't mind being able to see exactly what I'm capturing rather than what I'm able to output from time to time.
Does anybody have any experience with this monitor? How does it stack up against the newest generation of monitors?


http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ec-2180wg.shtml

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product...3f-9dd308215618
Logged

jerryrock

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 598
    • The Grove Street Photographer
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:23 PM »

Why not go for the 24" RGB LED backlit HP DreamColor monitor (LP2480zx)? It is currently on sale until Jan 31st for $1999. It can display 133% of NTSC color, 100% Adobe RBG and sRGB.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF...67-3648397.html

Jerry
Logged
Gerald J Skrocki
gskrocki.wordpress.com

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11549
    • http://digitaldog.net/
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »

Quote from: jeremydillon
I've been looking at replacing my fading 1st generation Eizo. (the backlight struggles to make 110 now ...)
I've pretty much decided on the NEC 2690 mk2 but noticed that the once impossibly expensive super wide gammut 2180wg now seems affordable.
I wouldn't mind being able to see exactly what I'm capturing rather than what I'm able to output from time to time.
Does anybody have any experience with this monitor? How does it stack up against the newest generation of monitors?


http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ec-2180wg.shtml

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product...3f-9dd308215618


In terms of a reference display system that has been tested by people I respect (Karl Lang of Lumita), this is the highest ranking LCD system he's tested. Downside, small display by todays standards. The LED is (still is) state of the art. If you can live with that price point for that size unit, it can't be beat. I had one for about a year (when that size display was considered pretty big), loved it.

Pass on the DreamColor, not ready for prime time. When Karl gives it a thumbs up (IF he does which is at this point doubtful until HP gets its act together), then I'll consider it even a sound purchase.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

jerryrock

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 598
    • The Grove Street Photographer
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »

Quote from: digitaldog
Pass on the DreamColor, not ready for prime time. When Karl gives it a thumbs up (IF he does which is at this point doubtful until HP gets its act together), then I'll consider it even a sound purchase.

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

Jerry
Logged
Gerald J Skrocki
gskrocki.wordpress.com

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11549
    • http://digitaldog.net/
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »

Quote from: jerryrock
Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

The guy who has one, who's forgot more about display technology than anyone here knows (the guy's designed the two best reference displays ever built), has indicated its got some areas that deserve knocking. If you or someone at HP wants to send me and anyone else not willing to shell out 2 grand to be on the bleeding edge, I'm more than willing to play with one.

Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

jerryrock

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 598
    • The Grove Street Photographer
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »

Quote from: digitaldog
The guy who has one, who's forgot more about display technology than anyone here knows (the guy's designed the two best reference displays ever built), has indicated its got some areas that deserve knocking. If you or someone at HP wants to send me and anyone else not willing to shell out 2 grand to be on the bleeding edge, I'm more than willing to play with one.

If your friend is willing to post a review of his findings, I will gladly heed to his almighty, until then it is just hearsay.

Jerry
Logged
Gerald J Skrocki
gskrocki.wordpress.com

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11549
    • http://digitaldog.net/
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

Quote from: jerryrock
If your friend is willing to post a review of his findings, I will gladly heed to his almighty, until then it is just hearsay.

In terms of the NEC LED, he did (at PPE year before last) with Chris Murphy.

WHEN he can get that damn Dream Color to actually WORK, maybe he'll either publish or present the results in the future. In the meantime, only someone with money to burn (and time) should even consider this unit! Check this cross post from another well respected color geek (Neil) and his impressions of this display you're so in love with:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=30608

You want to send me yours for evaluation for a week, or better, buy me one, no problem, I'll test it. But there's no way, based on my conversation with actual knowledgeable people who've paid for one there's any way I'm paying to play at this time!
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/

jerryrock

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 598
    • The Grove Street Photographer
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 06:27:36 PM »

Quote from: digitaldog
You want to send me yours for evaluation for a week, or better, buy me one, no problem, I'll test it. But there's no way, based on my conversation with actual knowledgeable people who've paid for one there's any way I'm paying to play at this time!

No, thanks for the offer but I'll wait for a report from an actual color scientist.

Jerry
Logged
Gerald J Skrocki
gskrocki.wordpress.com

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 11549
    • http://digitaldog.net/
21” NEC MultiSync LCD2180WG-LED $1599
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »

Quote from: jerryrock
No, thanks for the offer but I'll wait for a report from an actual color scientist.

You'll wait to do what?

Waiting is an excellent idea for anyone who isn't hot to be on the bleeding edge (or just gets excited by product specs) prior to dropping any money on this display! It might pan out to be the Artisan or Pressview of the 21 century. But it ain't there yet.
Logged
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers”
http://digitaldog.net/
Pages: [1]   Go Up