Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need suggestions for ceiling light  (Read 2354 times)

Peter Mellis

Need suggestions for ceiling light
« on: January 15, 2009, 12:44:23 pm »

After several years of having my computer and printer on a six foot table in a corner of a room and working with stuff balanced on my lap, I've just taken over a small bedroom and have set it up as a dedicated work space. I need to replace the ceiling fixture and am looking for suggestions as to what type of light to use in order to get the overall illumination in the room closer to daylight and better for viewing prints. The room is small, about 10' X 10.5', with an 8' ceiling height;the fixture is centered. There are three work surfaces set up in a U; two printers on one leg, a clear work surface in the center and my computer, scanner, etc. on the third leg. I have a swing arm Ott-Lite mounted on the center worktop and use that for evaluating prints.

The bit of research that I've done seems to indicate that Solux lamps are the way to go, but I would prefer to avoid having to install tracks. A company called Just Normlicht  makes a fluorescent tube (Color Control Daylight 5000 Kelvin) that is intended for prepress proofing. Given the size of the room, it would seem that a ceiling fixture with a couple of these (or similar) bulbs might be able to adequately light the room and also be adequate for general viewing of prints. I know from searching the forums that this has been discussed in the past and at scientific levels that are beyond my comprehension. My question is: has anyone out there used a lighting setup like this, for general lighting, in a printing environment and how has it worked out? Thanks for your help.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 01:03:30 pm »

As a consultant that has helped hundreds+ of clients with their lighting I'd encourage you to use Solux 4100K, 36 degree 50 watt bulbs. If you have a thing against affordable track fixtures that you can get at places Home Depot there are also 4 head MR16 fixtures without a track. Since you are in a tight space, plan on bouncing the light off of neutral colored walls or use the Solux Convex Planar diffusers, or both, to diffuse the light.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 01:14:33 pm »

The Just fluorescent tubes seems to be a selected production from the Philips TL-D Graphica Pro series (for prepress and graphic). The 36 W tube (length 120 cm) costs about 6.50 Euro in Germany. I will use two of them to build a dimmed print viewer.
The data sheet in attach is in german, I didn't find something in english.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 09:05:29 pm »

Why 4100K vs. the more commonly recommended 4700K?

Quote from: Onsight
As a consultant that has helped hundreds+ of clients with their lighting I'd encourage you to use Solux 4100K, 36 degree 50 watt bulbs. If you have a thing against affordable track fixtures that you can get at places Home Depot there are also 4 head MR16 fixtures without a track. Since you are in a tight space, plan on bouncing the light off of neutral colored walls or use the Solux Convex Planar diffusers, or both, to diffuse the light.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 09:51:57 pm »

Quote from: howardm
Why 4100K vs. the more commonly recommended 4700K?
The broad spectrum, high CRI light quality is more important than the color temp. To make a long story short, there is a psychological effect that the color temp has on the psyche. Walk into a warmly lit room and one has a "Ahh this is nice - I feel sleepy already" reaction. Walk into a cool-lit room and one has a "this feels sterile like a hospital" reaction. 4100K is the perfect "happy medium" that's not too warm nor too cool. If you walk into a 4100K room it just *feels* right. And with the broad spectrum, high CRI light quality you can see fantastically well. Display calibration and matching is slightly easier at this temp as well. I initially had my studio lit with 4700K Solux and later switched them all to 4100K. The difference is not profound but it *feels* much better and there is never any dialog with visitors about the lighting. It's really hard to use a 5000K lightbox like those I've "grown up" with over the past 20 years and used to rely upon heavily. But do what you like - it's hard to go wrong with Solux lighting. 4100K is just a recommendation.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up