Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable camera with movements!  (Read 13429 times)

richardhagen

Portable camera with movements!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 12:04:02 am »

Quote from: David Klepacki
For quite a while, I was struggling to find a small and portable solution to have camera movements, and if possible to use the lenses I am most familiar (Hasselblad V).  So, I decided to re-engineer the Hasselblad Flexbody, as it was "almost there" in terms of my needs.  I have finally achieved my goal.  The key piece was to expand the image circle of the Hassy lenses to accommodate more shift, at least with the wide and normal lenses.  This can be accomplished with the Hasselblad PC-Mutar, which does exactly that, and to integrate it into the Flexbody.  For that, the front standard had to be redesigned.  Also, I wanted more movements than the original Flexbody, so I also add swing and horizontal shift to the front standard as well.  Here are the resulting specs:

Total Weight: 3 lbs. (2lbs. without PC-Mutar)
Size: 6.75in x 6in x 4.5in (H x W x D)
Lens and Back mount: Hasselblad V
Tripod mount: Arca-Swiss

Lenses: 30CFi - 350CFE (all Hasselblad V lenses with leaf shutter)
With PC-Mutar: enlarges image circles to 113mm for 30,40,50,60, 80 lenses, and to 96mm for 100 lens)

Rear rise/fall: +/- 14mm
Rear tilt: +/- 28 degrees
Front rise/fall: +/- 16mm
Front shift: +7mm / -3mm (+23mm / -19mm with PC-Mutar rotated)
Front swing: +/- 15 degrees
Bellows Extension: -2mm / +24mm

All movements are geared and lock down rock solid.

You did quite an engineering job! Do you have any images taken with this re-engineered camera and digital back that you can share with us?

rh

David Klepacki

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 10:14:09 am »

Quote from: richardhagen
You did quite an engineering job! Do you have any images taken with this re-engineered camera and digital back that you can share with us?

rh

Hi Richard,

Right now, I am very busy (with building/using these cameras), and I decided that the best way to discuss its abilities as well as my photography is through my own website.  This project finally gave me the push I need to get my website up.   It will take a few weeks, and I will let people know when it is ready for viewing.

David
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:17:25 am by David Klepacki »

Efra1

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 06:07:58 am »

Hi, I have a Fexbody, and will like to know which is the correct finder to see the image right, now I use a Chimney Viewfinder but is very inconvenience because I see all upside down...
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:08:45 am by Efra1 »

archivue

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 01:28:03 pm »

i went in the opposite direction, i'm looking for mounting my hassy lens on a Fline 69...

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 09:55:28 pm »

Well Done! Congratulations.

How about your think use wideangle and shift movements?

I think 48x36mm back with 40mm CF lens don't enough to use wideangle.

I'm trying to make 2xwideangle custom MFDB camera for use canon 24 TS-II lens

one for mine, and another is my friends in germany.

I will post later.

chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

David Klepacki

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 10:27:54 pm »

Quote from: Efra1
Hi, I have a Fexbody, and will like to know which is the correct finder to see the image right, now I use a Chimney Viewfinder but is very inconvenience because I see all upside down...
Thanks

I find the best finder for the Flexbody to be the Hasselblad 4x4DPS, which is a magnified 5.5X chimney finder.  This finder gives the sharpest view for accurately focusing the Flexbody, and gives the same kind of view as looking through the waist level finder of a standard (ie, 500 or 200 series) Hasselblad camera.  If you want an angled viewfinder (to view by looking downward), then the Hasselblad Rmfx is the best (and only) choice.  The Rmfx is a 3.3x magnified finder, so not as powerful as the 4x4DPS, and it has a left-right reversed image through the viewfinder.

If you need a 4x4DPS finder, just send me a PM,  I have plenty of the them.

simplify

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 10:36:20 pm »

Can I ask what kind of shop gear you used and a little more specifically what you did to modify the front lens standard.  How does the sharpness hold up on the higher resolution digital backs?

David Klepacki

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26:05 am »

First, I need to correct my previous post.  The 4x4DPS gives a straight TTL view, and is not the same as looking through the WLF of a 500/200 camera, which has a mirror in the path that inverts the image.

As far as the "front" standard, I replaced it completely with a new one built from scratch.  I added about 10mm of gearing for front swing movements and recessed it about 2mm further back so that I would not lose infinity focus when using any movements.  I also made the front standard a little larger so that I could also use the PC Mutar.  This way I could have more shift optically, and not vignette when using the body movements.  There were also various other minor changes to make it work better /  more ergonomic (smaller locking knobs, Arca-Swiss foot replacement, etc).

As for sharpness, pixel accurate focusing and sharpness can be obtained using live view equipment in the studio.  In the field, without live view, you cannot expect the same level of focusing accuracy, since optical viewing on the ground glass is not a fair comparison, but it still works quite well and as good as any view camera that also relies on ground glass to focus.

The bad news is that I am retired from making any more of these cameras.  It's too much work, tedious work, involving custom tool/die, laser alignment, anodizing subcontractors, etc., and too many things can (and do) go wrong.  

Kumar

• http://www.bskumarphotography.com
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 01:45:43 am »

Quote from: David Klepacki
It's too much work, tedious work, involving custom tool/die, laser alignment, anodizing subcontractors, etc., and too many things can (and do) go wrong.

I'd like to anodize a couple of subcontractors  

Kumar

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 02:32:06 am »

I'm impressed. I want one!!

David Saffir
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up