Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: our friendly neighbors to the north  (Read 15102 times)

iliosgallery

our friendly neighbors to the north
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »

Quote from: paulbk
Canada is a great country. .... It’s people and culture are amongst the most advanced in the world.

Speaking of weather and  'advanced' cultures, southern Ontario is so cold at the moment (-24C) that our lawyers are keeping their hands in their own pockets

Stephen Starkman

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 06:53:04 pm »

Just remember, Michael et al are likely much warmer in Antarctica now then we are here in Toronto (having been there!).

It's all relative. Hey...was that an iceberg that just passed by my window?

- Stephen

Pete Ferling

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 09:57:34 pm »

Look... we just have to build the fence higher, but no-one down here really understands metrics anyway.  Heck, I refused to roll the windows down or turn on the A/C because my Jeeps thermometer was reading 32C.  What the hell is that "C" all about!?!  It's Canadian mind control, I mean why does my beer distributor put the blue bottles up front and the silver cans in the back?  I wish Dubya were here, he'd say it much like better.

Farmer

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 05:39:22 pm »

Today's a bit cooler, but Wednesday and Thursday it was over 40c (105f) here in Sydney.  In winter, it can get as cold as 0c (+30f), but not often :-) :-)
Phil Brown

AndyF

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 09:56:06 pm »

January and February are great for low light, long exposure photography up here - you'll find absolutely no thermal noise in your sensor!
Andy

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 01:56:07 pm »

Quote from: Pete Ferling
What the hell is that "C" all about!?!  It's Canadian mind control

I am trying to think of all the countries in the world that still use Fahrenheit, and I am only coming up with one. Oh... wait, I think Belize still does. That's two.  

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 04:04:03 pm »

Here in the UK, it is common to refer to low temps in celsius, and high temps in fahrenheit. So in winter it might be zero or below, but come summer, it could be in the eighties! We've not fully embraced this decimalisation thing  

Petrjay

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 04:41:35 pm »

I think it may be the Ray Bradbury Effect here in The States. After all, Celsius 232.777777 just doesn't have the same ring as Fahrenheit 451.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 05:36:01 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
Here in the UK, it is common to refer to low temps in celsius, and high temps in fahrenheit. So in winter it might be zero or below, but come summer, it could be in the eighties! We've not fully embraced this decimalisation thing  
Depends on the paper you read.    I was reading the Daily Telegraph whilst staying at my Mother's house last week and was thrown by the fact that it reported temperatures in Farenheit [with C in paranthesis]. They don't want to scare the old fogeys who read it I guess.
Farenheit is as dumb and random as imperial measures. Which numpties decided to use random measures for everthing? My guess is that they were either drunk, stupid or spiteful enough to make maths much harder to annoy everyone. Also using Base 12 for things like clocks, degrees of cirlce etc when we count in base 10 wasn't exactly the smartest of moves either.

I'd be surprised if Canadians talk about weather as much as the Brits do, as large land masses like North America have waaaay less weather variation than pokey little islands tend to have.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 05:59:37 pm »

Quote from: jjj
... I was reading the Daily Telegraph ...
Oh dear.  

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 08:35:44 pm »

Also using Base 12 for things like clocks, degrees of cirlce etc when we count in base 10 wasn't exactly the smartest of moves either.

Codswallop.
Base 12 allows us to work out thirds and quarters of real world things easily and gives the answer in whole numbers. It's a system derived from peoples' real world needs and not a made up one that suited the politics of French pseudo-intellectuals. Uh, I feel a rant coming on.
Have to agree the celsius suits colder climates more. Though having being brought up in a hotter region, I feel being told we could go home from school when the temperature hit 37.78 degrees just wouldn't have the same ring to it. David

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 08:53:06 pm »

I'd be surprised if Canadians talk about weather as much as the Brits do, as large land masses like North America have waaaay less weather variation than pokey little islands tend to have.
I don't know how much Brits talk about it, but I can tell you that Canadians don't really talk about it so much as constantly complain about it.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2009, 10:28:19 am »

Quote from: JDClements
I am trying to think of all the countries in the world that still use Fahrenheit, and I am only coming up with one. Oh... wait, I think Belize still does. That's two.  

"My car gets forty rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it." - Grandpa Simpson

By the way your country is leaking cold air again.

Rob C

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2009, 03:49:36 pm »

"Also using Base 12 for things like clocks, degrees of cirlce etc when we count in base 10 wasn't exactly the smartest of moves either."

Why ever not, Futt Futt; it created the advanced maths concept of duodecimals.

"I'd be surprised if Canadians talk about weather as much as the Brits do, as large land masses like North America have waaaay less weather variation than pokey little islands tend to have."

Have you simply decided to ignore the huge social tool that weather actually provides? How else would you converse with someone you would rather not converse with when escape is no option? With the neutral topic of weather, all guilt, blame, suspicion can be avoided, the necessary social obligations complied with and everybody goes home feeling much better.

Very useful indeed; it has been much warmer here in Spain, but very, very windy. ;-)

Ciao

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up