Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus E-1 diary  (Read 3824 times)

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Olympus E-1 diary
« on: January 31, 2004, 12:30:53 pm »

Thanks very much!  The E-1 is one of the cameras I've been thinking about getting, and it's great to see someone else's experience with it.  I look forward to reading future installments...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

BJL

Olympus E-1 diary
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 10:38:57 am »

Reviving this thread rather than starting a new one seems the low impact way to offer my first impressions of the Olympus E-1 and 14-54 lens. (In the process, I get to answer Ray's recent question!)

The short version is that I find myself agreeing with almost everything that Michael said in his review about the performance and featuers of the camera, though not with his pessimistic prognosis for the 4/3 system. In particular, compared to the mid-level amateur 35mm film equipment and compact digicam that I am coming from (Canon Elan II with 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM, Olympus C2040), the E-1's feel, ergonomics, and general functioning are all a wonderful step up.
   A few particular pleasures are the far lower barrel distortion at the wide end compared to either of those previous options, far faster auto-focus, and the excellent performance of the auto white balance, at least with common challenges like incandescent light bulbs.
   However, I am in no position to make hands-on comparisons to other "DSLR plus lens" options that I could have got for a price similar to the US$2,000 that I payed.

If I were to write a fuller review, the main differences from Michael's are all related to firmware issues, so many or all might be due to firmware upgrades since his review.

Firstly, files are tagged as 314dpi rather than the 72ppi mentioned in his review, corresponding to a more reasonable 8"x6" default size. I would prefer 240ppi, matching a typical inkjet printer recommendation and giving a default size that almost perfectly fits the most common printer paper sizes, US letter and ISO A4.

Secondly, I can get to the histogram (or flashing highlights) review a little more simply. Regardless of the setting for post-shot review, I simply wait until the card access light stops flashing, press review, then press info. (No need to be in a 10 second or longer review mode.)

A final point about firmware; my camera did not come with the latest firmware, available for download, so I am deliberately using the factory installed version for a while so I can then compare to the newer version, and report.
   Two changes I am curious to assess are
(a) a reportedly more aggressive auto exposure level choices; that is, pushing the histogram further to the right, improving shadow handling at a greater risk of blown highlights, and
( modified in camera sharpening, including a range of up to +5 instead of +3. Since the default is quite soft and the files reportedly sustain a lot of sharpening (is this due to a relatively strong low pass filter?) the practical question is whether this change increases the ability to get files that are well suited to printing straight out of the camera.

BJL

Olympus E-1 diary
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 01:01:57 pm »

What is more of an issue, to me anyway, and one that Michael also raised, is the lack of any "heads up" ISO setting display.
  Thanks David, for the welcome and the tips on exposure compensation.

Let me admit that the main mistake I have made so far is once staying in 800 sensor speed mode, so I would like that speed setting in the viewfinder. Partly my fault for compulsively testing noise levels at high speed settings instead of just taking real photos!

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Olympus E-1 diary
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 04:04:33 pm »

Following my usual non-conformist ways, I have recently invested in an Olympus E-1.

Anybody interested in this camera might find

the online diary of my experiences with it interesting....
--
David Mantripp

BJL

Olympus E-1 diary
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 01:49:09 pm »

David,

thanks. First we get Thom Hogan for some Nikon information, and now an Olympus E system source!
  I will follow your log, since the E-1 is still at the top of my short list, though the Nikon D70 with 18-70 f/3.5-4.5 is suddenly number 2. (These two largely because they have the best standard zoom lens options in my price range.)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Olympus E-1 diary
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 04:07:06 pm »

Welcome to the outcasts club :-)

I don't think I noticed much difference with the exposure in firmware 1.1 - the ESP mode copes pretty well with most lighting anyway. I find that I shoot a lot of backlit subjects these days, and in those cases I usually have to coax the histogram to the right with up to a stop of (over) exposure compensation.

I agree with the point about the histogram display - really a non-issue in my opinion, although I daresay had I been used to the Canon / Nikon / Fuji "instant" view I might be put out a bit.  

What is more of an issue, to me anyway, and one that Michael also raised, is the lack of any "heads up" ISO setting display. This is the only really negative point about the handling, but even then, I'm ashamed to say that any half-decent photographer would pretty soon realise there was something a bit strange about the auto exposure readings, when the camera was set at ISO 800 rather than ISO 100...    

Maybe I should aspire to "quarter-decent" status :-}

Brilliant camera though. And the 4:3 aspect ratio (which has nothing to do with the FourThirds sensor by the way) is really quite appealing.
--
David Mantripp

pallsopp42

Olympus E-1 diary
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 03:21:42 pm »

Thank you - good idea.

I had an OM-1 way, way back at university (UK) in the early '70s.  It was a great camera and lasted forever.

So, while the E-1 doesn't have the high Megapixel octane that some reviewers seem to think so critical, I like the images that I've seen it produce and I've always liked Olympus' keen attention to build quality and ergonomics.  Their ultrasonic sensor cleaner plus the gaskets also make the camera technically a cut above some of their nearest rivals.

I was going to purchase a Canon 10D but after seeing the Olympus plus reviews - particularly Michael R's, I've turned my attention to the E-1 as being  - for me -  a better more effective tool for the money.

Phil Allsopp
Dallas, TX
Pages: [1]   Go Up