Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DxO with Phase One images  (Read 1694 times)

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
DxO with Phase One images
« on: January 13, 2009, 03:09:19 pm »

I've begun messing with DxO raw converter and I've found I like the image controls within it quite well, better than Lightroom's or Capture One's.  BUT, it won't open Phase One raw files.  I've found that opening in LR or C1 and immediately saving ("exporting") to a TIF results in a file DxO likes, but I don't think it's truly raw, linear data, anymore.  

I'd like to hear from anyone with knowledge of what's been done to the pixels, and whether they will survive that sort of kidnapping.
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

Carsten W

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:53:52 pm »

Quote from: whawn
I've begun messing with DxO raw converter and I've found I like the image controls within it quite well, better than Lightroom's or Capture One's.  BUT, it won't open Phase One raw files.  I've found that opening in LR or C1 and immediately saving ("exporting") to a TIF results in a file DxO likes, but I don't think it's truly raw, linear data, anymore.  

I'd like to hear from anyone with knowledge of what's been done to the pixels, and whether they will survive that sort of kidnapping.

I am not sure if the LR/C1 conversion is necessarily neutral. Have you tried the Adobe DNG converter?
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:53:09 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
Have you tried the Adobe DNG converter?
Sadly, DxO, in it's wisdom, won't open DNG, (won't even show it on the file list) even though it outputs the format.  Their web-site says it's because DNG strips the lens information from the exif data, and they are very proud of their lens-correction feature.  Since I use a nicely manual Hasselblad, and love Zeiss lenses just as they are, I have no regard for that part of the program, and would like to use its good features and ignore those I don't need.
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming
Pages: [1]   Go Up