Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad battery grip with rechargeable CR123A?  (Read 9759 times)

phoTOMgraphy

• thomas|ebruster|photography
Hasselblad battery grip with rechargeable CR123A?
« on: January 13, 2009, 01:17:32 pm »

hi,
i wonder how to feed the battery grip from my h3d with rechargeable batteries.
the problem is, non rechargeable CR123A deliver 3V.
rechargeable CR123A provide 3,6V. (i didn't find others)

this may be not a problem for other cameras which use one battery. but when 3 batteries are used the difference would be 1,8V if understand it right.

because of the difference in price i would be glad if i don't have to buy a 2nd original rechargeable grip.
but instead some cheaper CR123A batteries to use with the battery grip.

does anyone have the same thoughts and could share his/her solution?  

hasselblad germany said they couldn't guaranty me if this would work. there has never been such a question... ??    

why should there be a battery grip only to use with expensive non rechargeable  batteries? i don't believe that nobody ever thought about it.  

greetings
tom
thomasebruster.com
Arca Rm3di | SK43 | RS28 | CFV-50[

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:11:06 pm »

Quote from: phoTOMgraphy
hi,

this may be not a problem for other cameras which use one battery. but when 3 batteries are used the difference would be 1,8V if understand it right.

because of the difference in price i would be glad if i don't have to buy a 2nd original rechargeable grip.

hasselblad germany said they couldn't guaranty me if this would work. there has never been such a question... ??    

why should there be a battery grip only to use with expensive non rechargeable  batteries? i don't believe that nobody ever thought about it.  

greetings
tom

im no electronic guru, but i would be surprised if the cr123 non rechargable batteries would be 3V, even if it says on the side, they would be more. i havnt checked with thoses batteries, but i have checked the voltage with other alkaline batteries and they always have a little more power than what they are rated at. i guess "3v" is an average.

[paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 03:27:23 pm »

hi,

greetings
tom

Hi Tom

"rechargeable CR123A provide 3,6V." You do not indicate capacity of this battery which is important if trying to determine if these batteries can be used in your system without damage to the internal electronics. The CR123 battery grip is included as backup to the 7.2v Lithium ion battery pack.
I as a Hasselblad Rep I do recommend using the standard CR123 3v Lithium battery or the 7.2V lithium ion rechargeable which is rated at 1850 mAh. I would not want to see your expensive investment damaged in any way by using an improper battery.

Below two qoutes from the H3D users manual.

"The Battery grip rechargeable 7.2V (3043348) is the standard power source for the H3D camera."

"It is therefore advisable to keep the reserve grip complete with fresh lithium batteries handy if you do not use a spare rechargeable grip."

Paul Claesson
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:58:39 pm »

Quote from: Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS
Hi Tom

"rechargeable CR123A provide 3,6V." You do not indicate capacity of this battery which is important if trying to determine if these batteries can be used in your system without damage to the internal electronics. The CR123 battery grip is included as backup to the 7.2v Lithium ion battery pack.
I as a Hasselblad Rep I do recommend using the standard CR123 3v Lithium battery or the 7.2V lithium ion rechargeable which is rated at 1850 mAh. I would not want to see your expensive investment damaged in any way by using an improper battery.

Below two qoutes from the H3D users manual.

"The Battery grip rechargeable 7.2V (3043348) is the standard power source for the H3D camera."

"It is therefore advisable to keep the reserve grip complete with fresh lithium batteries handy if you do not use a spare rechargeable grip."

Paul Claesson

hi paul,
the capacity is 500mAh so with all 3 we are at 1500mAh.
you are right i don't want to damage my camera, thats why i haven't tried it yet.
but it should be obvious that one wants the oportunity to use rechargeable batteries. in terms of ecology and in terms of financial issues.
so i wonder why hasselblad offers a reserve grip for only a few shots and at about 25$ each time you have o change them?

maybe i'm the only one who is not willing to pay hundreds of dollars/euros for a 2nd and 3rd li-ion battery grip...  

strange that rechargeable batteries are not the same voltage as the batteries they should replace.

thank you guys for your replies.

regards
tom

thomasebruster.com

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 07:12:14 pm »

Hi.
I used for H1 about 1 year, no problems....

It has more shooting than lithium CR123A. charging time is about 30minutes, and very cheap!

about it's manual, It has 3.6V after full charging, but 30min later, It has 3V...

searching Ebay. You'll find more mAh, cheaper rechargeable cr123.

chiek
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:16:13 pm by chiek »
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

phoTOMgraphy

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 05:38:10 am »

Quote from: chiek
Hi.
I used for H1 about 1 year, no problems....

It has more shooting than lithium CR123A. charging time is about 30minutes, and very cheap!

about it's manual, It has 3.6V after full charging, but 30min later, It has 3V...

searching Ebay. You'll find more mAh, cheaper rechargeable cr123.

chiek

sounds good,
but i would have more peace in mind, if some hasselblad technician could tell me that the camera's electronic is immune against this slightly overvoltage.

i'm just to coward to prove it.  

thomasebruster.com

Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS

• http://www.hasselbladusa.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:17 am »

sounds good,
but i would have more peace in mind, if some hasselblad technician could tell me that the camera's electronic is immune against this slightly overvoltage.

i'm just to coward to prove it.  

I stand by my previous recommendations.
I did a web search on rechargeable CR123A batteries and specs seems to vary considerably, 3v > 3.6v > 4.2v, mAh ratings as well.

"camera's electronic is immune against this slightly overvoltage." No, your camera is not immune to overvoltage and the specifications of voltage and current are important in determining if a particular battery can be used.
Please keep in mind that one battery pack is powering your entire system, body, viewfinder, lens and digital magazine.
Considering the cost of the H3D, the cost of a new 7.2v lithium ion battery is rather small.

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA
Paul Claesson
Technical Support Manager
Hasselblad Hasselblad Bron Inc.
support@hasselbladbron.com or
pclaesson@hasselbladbron.com
800-367-6434 x303

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of Hasselblad.

PatrikR

• http://www.patrikraski.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:29:11 pm »

the capacity is 500mAh so with all 3 we are at 1500mAh.

You're right if you connect them in parallel order but then the voltage will be what ever is the voltage of a single cell, in your case 3.0 V. If you connect them in series then you multiply the voltage by the number of cells but the capacity will stay at what ever is the capacity of a single cell.

There's no magical connection that would multiply the capacity and the voltage simultaneously by the number of the used cells. Meaning it is impossible to make a battery of 9Volts with capacity of 1500mAh out of three 3.0V 500mAh cells. The only possible batteries out of these three cells are a 3.0V 1500mAh battery and a 9.0V 500mAh battery. Both probably would perform extremely poorly on your H3D.

Patrik Raski - Espoo, Finland
Pages: [1]   Go Up