Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrating NEC 690 with Epson 3800  (Read 3598 times)

peterpix

• http://perpublisher.com
Calibrating NEC 690 with Epson 3800
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:35:32 pm »

Sorry for title, its an NEC 2690. I have  Eye-one 2 for calibration and images look great on the screen  but print way too dark. I have to more the levels  to make  screen image almost pale to get anything close to what the print should be.  Sometimes it appears that the the printed sheet has too much ink. I'm wondering if the problem is calibration or the printer. A friend stopped by with his calibrated MacBook Pro,  with which he prints accurately, and had the same too  dark problem?  I'm a 6500 with gama 2.2.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Peter
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 12:50:00 pm by peterpix »
Peter Randall

walter.sk

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 04:51:32 pm »

Quote from: peterpix
Sorry for title, its an NEC 2690. I have  Eye-one 2 for calibration and images look great on the screen  but print way too dark. I have to more the levels  to make  screen image almost pale to get anything close to what the print should be.  Sometimes it appears that the the printed sheet has too much ink. I'm wondering if the problem is calibration or the printer. A friend stopped by with his calibrated MacBook Pro,  with which he prints accurately, and had the same too  dark problem?  I'm a 6500 with gama 2.2.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Peter
What is your luminance leve (in cd/m2)?  And what light are you using to view the prints?  Is this a change from previous results with this monitor, or is this a change from a CRT monitor?  Was there a time when you were getting good results?

peterpix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:10 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
What is your luminance leve (in cd/m2)?  And what light are you using to view the prints?  Is this a change from previous results with this monitor, or is this a change from a CRT monitor?  Was there a time when you were getting good results?

Not sure how to find luminance level?   I have brightness a 100% and contrast a 50%, black level 54%. Viewing light not the problem, the prints would appear to be 2-3 stops too dark in any light.  I did have a LaCie 19" and make acceptable prints using it.  BTW, I made  a number of AW B prints with the NEC and they were great.

Has anyone heard of a program called Dark Adapter used for too bright monitors.

Peter
Peter Randall

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 12:03:02 pm »

Not sure how to find luminance level?   I have brightness a 100% and contrast a 50%, black level 54%. Viewing light not the problem, the prints would appear to be 2-3 stops too dark in any light.  I did have a LaCie 19" and make acceptable prints using it.  BTW, I made  a number of AW B prints with the NEC and they were great.

Peter
Seems to me that if you made a number of AW B prints that came out OK (I think that means the printer controlled the print, rather than Photoshop?) then it points to some kind of double profiling or faulty profile when you let Photoshop handle the color.  The question is not whether you can get another program or action to correct for the difference in levels, but how to track down what the actual problem is.  I know it can be frustrating, but I think it is advisable.

peterpix

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 12:48:11 pm »

For those who are still struggling with dark prints  with NEC monitors as I was, the solution seems  to be as MarkDS has  written elsewhere is to adjust luminance.  After I first calibrated my NEC 26" luminance was 343!  Monitor brightness was 100%. I cranked that way down to 10% then worked back until I could get luminance to 120, then re-calibrated. The first print, in terms of lightness  vs darkness, was perfect. Don't know if this works for so many others who seem to be struggling with calibration, but it works for me.  Thanks Mark, Walter, etc.

Peter
Peter Randall

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 02:58:53 pm »

Don't go there! You've got a great display, hopefully with their SpectraView II software. As others have suggested, you simply need to properly set your luminance for the viewing conditions of your print. There is no right, default settings.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up