Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portraits Digital backs creamy bokeh and natural light  (Read 4590 times)

danlo

Portraits Digital backs creamy bokeh and natural light
« on: January 13, 2009, 04:37:44 am »

Excuse my bad english, but

Everyone talks about how great digital backs are.. But how come I never see beautiful portraits with short dept of field and creamy bokeh in beautiful soft eveninglight.. sunbeams passing through trees and leaves...

Is this something that digital just can´t do? If this is common, please tell med where I can find this kind of images..

Thanks.

(D

Carsten W

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 07:46:37 am »

Quote from: danlo

Everyone talks about how great digital backs are.. But how come I never see beautiful portraits with short dept of field and creamy bokeh in beautiful soft eveninglight.. sunbeams passing through trees and leaves...

Is this something that digital just can´t do? If this is common, please tell med where I can find this kind of images..

Maybe because the 70s are over?
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:02:50 am »

Quote from: carstenw
Maybe because the 70s are over?

What goes around ..........
Gaf 500 and a huh on the lens rebirth anyone? You can taste that wine.

Kevin.
Kevin.

danlo

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:31:43 am »

Hm.. Maybee I´m oldfashion..   Look at these images : http://www.johner.se/searchresult.php?mode...;numofarchives=

What Back+Lens should I buy to be able to do that kind of images?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:32:46 am by danlo »

danlo

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:09:51 am »

Quote from: John Schweikert
I don't see anything here that can't be done with MFDBs or top DSLRs. Look at James Russell's work, he can do that quality and higher using a myriad of digital solutions. I think you're looking in the wrong direction. Shooting like that is from the photographer, just about any top digital gear in the right hands can succeed in accomplishing that work.

Hm.. he uses flash almost in every image.. BORING! But he is a great photographer none the less..

Carsten W

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:41:29 pm »

I think there are a number of lenses which might approach that look (and they dictate the systems they are used on), including the Noctilux-M 50/1, Summilux-M 75/1.4, Hasselblad/Rollei F/FE 110/2, and perhaps an older Summicron-M 90/2, or the Summilux-R 80/1.4. There are surely others.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 01:49:19 pm »

Thanks.

(D

You can get the look with any camera that transitions to 'blown highlights' well

The early digital cameras backlit looked like the subject had be cut out with scissors maybe with a purple marker pen drawn round too

That lack of dynamic range pushed shooters towards flash fill for years

MF DB dynamic range helps this no doubt - but I can pretty much get it with a D3 and doubtless a good canon too

Fingerprints on your skylight filter help

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »

Hm.. Maybee I´m oldfashion..   Look at these images : http://www.johner.se/searchresult.php?mode...;numofarchives=

What Back+Lens should I buy to be able to do that kind of images?

The images you reference don't really match the words you write as few of those have that soft cream backlit look you described, whatever soft and creamy is.

Digital does have it's limitations in regards to backlight though, at least strong backlight and producing natural fill such as white foam core or a large continuous source will balance it.

Digital or film is not magic in the fact you can't take any image where the background is 20 times the brightness of the foreground and hold all the detail, that is why most of us have a truck load of lights, fill cards and modifiers when we work.  

That is also why good retouchers are in demand.

Now in all honesty, you will never learn any of this on a forum, you will have to go out and get your knees dirty and do it yourself.

Take a few digital cameras, and probably some film for reference and attempt to produce the look you want.  If you invest it will reap rewards, if not, then it won't.

That is the only way to go forward, film or digital and btw: more than 1/2 of the work my studio presents was shot with some form of continuous light source, from hmi, to daylight, tungesten or a mixture.

There is no magic to any of this, just hard work and testing so what you want to present you can do in a repeatable style when asked.

You can take classes, seminars, assist and ask questions on a forum and though there is some small benfiit in that, all you really learn is how to do one specific thing not WHY you do something.

There is a big difference.

This image was't shot this way because of any predetermined lighting scheme, or camera, it was a combination of a lot of things, lenses, light, fill, subject all used for the desired look.

Actually this image was window light, one fill card, an old Hartebli tilt sift (for the softness of the lens) and a leaf aptus 22.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:26:20 pm by James R Russell »

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 02:21:06 pm »

<<<<<I think there are a number of lenses which might approach that look (and they dictate the systems they are used on),>>>>>>>

I would even suggest an old russian lens: a 85mm helios 40-2 on a canon, for that kind of look.
used fully open, it has the most amazing gentle dof falloff and a special signature look, including nice lensflare  -  for that beautiful soft eveninglight.. sunbeams passing through trees and leaves...  
(see http://www.dantestella.com/technical/helios.html )

stefan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:38:09 pm by stefan marquardt »
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

gwhitf

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:22:56 pm »

But he is a great photographer none the less..

I only looked at page one, but to me, much of the work appeared to be C41 color neg. But who knows, I don't know the guy. Maybe that's the creamy that you're talking about -- the skin tone. Hard to duplicate that look and contrast on digital, without a lot of post. If you're shooting film now, and loving it, I don't see a reason to change. Unless the prehistoric workflow is the issue.

ziocan

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:43 pm »

Quote from: gwhitf
I only looked at page one, but to me, much of the work appeared to be C41 color neg. But who knows, I don't know the guy. Maybe that's the creamy that you're talking about -- the skin tone. Hard to duplicate that look and contrast on digital, without a lot of post. If you're shooting film now, and loving it, I don't see a reason to change. Unless the prehistoric workflow is the issue.
I love the brainstorming the original poster generated.
You asked about creamy bokhen, then showed a batch of images that were not exactly creamy and nothing than cannot be done with with any full frame DSLR and lenses on the market today.
Nothing of transcendental, if I may.
Just get a Canon, Nikon or Sony with with primes that open at at least 1.4 and then play with it. It should not take more than two series of attempts to get it right. The Nikon and Sony actually got great highlights roll out, that should be good enough to reproduce the images you shown and, honestly, very likely better.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 08:56:41 pm by ziocan »

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 04:24:24 am »

I thought you wanted something more ethereal like Sally Mann for instance http://www.artnet.com/artist/11072/sally-mann.html
You would struggle to get that look with digital.

Kevin.
Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up