Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice  (Read 15274 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Advice
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 05:01:24 pm »

Quote from: gerk
Again artistically they are not the best shots by any means, but technically I'm pretty happy with the results -- these 2 shoots were mostly just to get comfortable with my new 50D and figure out what works and what doesn't.

Looking at the second set we see the wild contrast of tungsten stage lighting both between the individual performers and the background - check out the saxaphonists bald head - did he just eat a nuclear pill ?

This light rig is another demonstration of the virtue of using flash to CONTROL CONTRAST by lifting shadows and controlling highlights whenever it is a viable option

The lead singer is half black in some shots - no eye detail - but when he glances at the light in other frames he becomes acceptably lit - thats where the watching like a hawk bit comes in when flash is not viable..

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

gerk

• http://
Advice
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 05:10:57 pm »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
Looking at the second set we see the wild contrast of tungsten stage lighting both between the individual performers and the background - check out the saxaphonists bald head - did he just eat a nuclear pill ?

This light rig is another demonstration of the virtue of using flash to CONTROL CONTRAST by lifting shadows and controlling highlights whenever it is a viable option

The lead singer is half black in some shots - no eye detail - but when he glances at the light in other frames he becomes acceptably lit - thats where the watching like a hawk bit comes in when flash is not viable..

S

haha yep, I think he did eat a nuclear pill   Of course they picked the bald guy to stand directly inline with the only light above 2000 deg  -- the other lighting there was _very_ dim LED based lights

Yes agreed that flash would have helped, but it wasn't allowed in the venue so I did what I could with what I had.  Watching and grabbing the shots when you can is also hugely important.  That particular venue was tough as it was very crowded and I couldn't stand in front of people for very long or they got upset so I had to get in and out quickly when grabbing shots :/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:15:33 pm by gerk »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Advice
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:16 pm »

Quote from: gerk
That particular venue was tough

every venue is tough - a strange thing would happen if the venues that did allow flsh didnt get any publicity -fast policy changes all round

no-one said it was easy

one hint - big speakers - people cant stand near them - protect your ears and you have little private space to shoot from

S
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:44:00 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

gerk

• http://
Advice
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 05:40:55 pm »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore
every venue is tough - a strange thing would happen if the venues that did allow flsh didnt get any publicity -fast policy changes all round

no-one said it was easy

one hint - big speakers - people cant stand near them - protect your ears and you have little private space to shoot from

S

Sadly this venue the speakers are all flown ... I own really good ear protection (am also a semi-pro musician) and would have done that if it was possible   I like the fact that they aren't all easy ... if things were there would be more competition   I always liked a challenge and band/venue shots with low lighting and uncooperative (to photographers) venues are challenging without a doubt!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up