Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1Ds Large Formant emulation  (Read 6565 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Canon 1Ds Large Formant emulation
« on: July 17, 2003, 03:00:04 pm »

This is not a firmware thing, you would have to redesign/replace the viewfinder pentaprism; the LCD does NOT work as a viewfinder. The viewfinder on the 1Ds looks through the lens optically, no electronics are involved. My guess is maybe sometime after hades freezes over...

BruceK

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 10:37:37 pm »

Eric:

You could probably flip the image on the LCD in software but how would that help? The image is displayed after it's been taken. That won't help in creating your composition as near as I can tell.

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2003, 09:52:03 am »

In fact, none of this is necessary. The eye, just like any optical lens system projects an up-side-down and reversed image. The brain corrects it.

All that's necessary is to train oneself to see this way. After all, this is the correct way of seeing, isn't it?  ::

I read of an experiment done in the '70s in which subjects wore glasses 24 hours a day that inverted their sight. After about 2 weeks they found that they were seeing right side up again. When the glasses were removed it took about another 2 weeks until the world reversed itself once more.

Frankly, I think that we should start a movement. All serious photographers should be forced to view the world up-side-down and backwards.  :cool:

Michael

etrexler

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2003, 11:37:20 am »

ok, forget that I asked, I knew it was a stretch, but figured I'd ask.  Thanks for the humor.  

Eric

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 12:48:21 pm »

Bartone,
Sorry, but I do[/i] understand! I have 14 years of LF experience myself. Probably not enough yet for old f***dom, but the good basis for future curmudgeonliness. The crucial difference though is that mine is all acquired in the field. Where you might have been able to view your groundglass in the comfort of your studio with an evenly illuminated subject using lenses of 'standard' focal length or longer, my groundglass viewing has been conducted under an uncooperative darkcloth, sometimes in a howling gale or I might have been eaten alive by midges or the man with the beard wants to talk to me about my 'interesting camera' and so on. Plus, wideangle lenses do not evenly illuminate the GG, so composing, focusing, using movements and metering under these circumstances is really a bit of a chore.
Compositional skills are intuitive, brought out by experience. If you are using a state of the art digital imaging device, why would you want to do the metaphorical equivalent of tying one arm and one leg behind your back in the vain hope that this might imrove your compositional skills? As for this science babble about right and left halves of the brain (I am an MD BTW), I simply do not buy it. If yours does not work as an integrated whole, you may have a problem!
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

Joe Hardesty

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 08:34:59 pm »

Then, there was the time I pretended I was blind, when I met a new client. Cane, glasss and all... that was fun.
There actually is a blind photographer. Yep, he is 100% blind and carries a P&S camera everywhere he goes. When he hears something that sounds interesting he points the camera in the direction of the sound and shoots.

There was an article about him in Time or Newsweek awhile back. Apparently he gets some rather interesting photographs at times.

Go figure!
Thanks for the memories!

etrexler

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 11:55:21 am »

Does the Cannon 1Ds firmware currently allow users to emulate a large format camera's ground glass on the viewfinder?  I know that several vendors are adopting the 1Ds for large format cameras, but I'd like to retain the upside down, right / left viewing of the image.  I find that compositionally is abstracts the subject many times and allows for a better image.  Any idea if this is supported in the current firmware?  Any idea how to place it as a feature request with Cannon?

Thanks,
Eric

etrexler

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 08:38:37 pm »

Actually, the image appears on the LCD via software, not direct view as in a normal viewfinder.  Software makes it appear rightside up on the LCD, I don't see why this would be difficult to flip.

Eric

drew

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 07:20:38 am »

The trick I use is to invert myself whilst juggling with my feet. I find this concentrates the mind wonderfully. Alternatively, you could try prismatic spectacles. You will look less cool wearing these, but the the 1DS round your neck should help.

BJL

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2003, 10:23:47 am »

At the risk of taking this too seriously, why not just turn the camera upside down? Perhaps there is a niche market for a "Really Right Stuff upside down bracket". The controls would not be so conveniently placed, but probably not any harder to work with than a traditional view camera ...

drew

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2003, 11:38:33 am »

Yes, but the image would still be the right way up even if you turned the camera upside down. What you need is a Really Right Stuff upside down bracket for the photographer.
On second thoughts, the prismatic spectacles are probably a bad idea as you would end up staggering about with your arms held out in front of you, constantly bumping into things. You would need a crash hat and a cover to protect your precious 1DS. You would also run the serious risk of being mistaken for a child molester and so a bodyguard would be needed to protect you from the inevitable assaults.

Bartone

• http://bartonephotography.com
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 08:12:12 pm »

Yes, but the image would still be the right way up even if you turned the camera upside down. What you need is a Really Right Stuff upside down bracket for the photographer.
On second thoughts, the prismatic spectacles are probably a bad idea as you would end up staggering about with your arms held out in front of you, constantly bumping into things. You would need a crash hat and a cover to protect your precious 1DS. You would also run the serious risk of being mistaken for a child molester and so a bodyguard would be needed to protect you from the inevitable assaults.
No, no, I >understand<! I shot large format in studio for 30 years. All food and still life, and yes, that upside down groundglass is a beautiful thing. You can distance yourself from the literal, and just concentrate on the composition (let the client worry about the food!).

The book 'Drawing on the Righthand Side of the Brain' uses this technique. Some lessons are drawn downside up. I've learned over the eons (I'm an old f***) to look at images with a serious squint - in order to delete the detail from the shot, look for the large blocks for composition.

Then, there was the time I pretended I was blind, when I met a new client. Cane, glasss and all... that was fun.

bartone
www.bartone.com

Bartone

• http://bartonephotography.com
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2003, 04:29:45 pm »

Bartone,
Sorry, but I do[/i] understand! I have 14 years of LF experience myself. Probably not enough yet for old f***dom, but the good basis for future curmudgeonliness. The crucial difference though is that mine is all acquired in the field. Where you might have been able to view your groundglass in the comfort of your studio with an evenly illuminated subject using lenses of 'standard' focal length or longer, my groundglass viewing has been conducted under an uncooperative darkcloth, sometimes in a howling gale or I might have been eaten alive by midges or the man with the beard wants to talk to me about my 'interesting camera' and so on. Plus, wideangle lenses do not evenly illuminate the GG, so composing, focusing, using movements and metering under these circumstances is really a bit of a chore.
Compositional skills are intuitive, brought out by experience. If you are using a state of the art digital imaging device, why would you want to do the metaphorical equivalent of tying one arm and one leg behind your back in the vain hope that this might imrove your compositional skills? As for this science babble about right and left halves of the brain (I am an MD BTW), I simply do not buy it. If yours does not work as an integrated whole, you may have a problem!
Drew,
You get eaten by midges, suffer gales and pushy bystanders, say you love this, and you're an MD? Jeez, find a shrink! :-)

Actually, I used to love studio work for the reasons you mentioned - but advertising work finally just wore me out. I did love the addition of the plastic thingy on the ground-glass that brings all the light (even with wide-angle lenses) to one center point. I shot with Sinars, which made my midge-fee shooting even easier!

As for left-right brain, something does kick in (besides funny cigs) that can make time disappear when drawing. Me, I just use the front half of my brain - the rest is owned by the wife.

bartone
www.bartone.com

robertprice

• http://www.robertpricephotography.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2003, 11:50:06 pm »

The way I deal with this is fundamentally quite simple.  I invert the subject.  

doc :cool:
Pages: [1]   Go Up