Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toronto's Bargain Computer Parts Shops  (Read 8877 times)

Jon Maxim

Toronto's Bargain Computer Parts Shops
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:28:56 am »

In his very informative article on the Colosrpace UDMA Nick Devlin mentions "Toronto’s strip of bargain computer-parts shots [sic] a 5 minute walk from home". As a Markham resident I would appreciate knowing where this strip is including his favourite bargain shops.

Thank you,
Jon
Jon
 (I used to be professional but I imp

Joe Behar

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:24 am »

Quote from: jmaxim
As a Markham resident I would appreciate knowing where this strip is including his favourite bargain shops.

Thank you,
Jon

College St West, at around Spadina.

Jon Maxim

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
College St West, at around Spadina.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response. In a way I was surprised to see someone from Vistek respond to this request because some of thsoe stores compete with prodcuts you carry. On the other hand I am not surprised beacause the folks at Vistek are really great and helpful which is why I have and will continue to shop there.

Thanks for sharing,
Jon
Jon

Joe Behar

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 12:39:06 pm »

No problem Jon,

Yes, we sometimes "compete" with the computer shops, but for the most part they concentrate on the "do it yourselfers".

The most common things we tend to cross paths on is external hard drives.

iancl

• http://www.iancoxleigh.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:20 pm »

Consider newegg.ca as well. I am in the midst of a full systems upgrade (basically everything but the case!) which I am building myself and it was considerably cheaper to order from newegg.ca than to buy from the usual College Street shops.

Also, TigerDirect in Markham is certainly competitive with the College St. options.

Jon Maxim

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 12:54:08 pm »

Quote from: iancl
Consider newegg.ca as well. I am in the midst of a full systems upgrade (basically everything but the case!) which I am building myself and it was considerably cheaper to order from newegg.ca than to buy from the usual College Street shops.

Also, TigerDirect in Markham is certainly competitive with the College St. options.

Thanks, Ian. I am familiar with Tigerdirect since I live near there. Good to know they are competitive with College. Also, did not know Newegg has a .ca site. Thank you very much!

Jon
Jon

citizenjoe

• Antarctica 2016
    • www.HughConacher.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:01:29 pm »

Another good spot is http://www.ncix.com/

H
Hugh, from Winnipeg.

mike.online

• http://mikedotonline.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 01:54:16 am »

if you are already in Markham, Tiger Direct can have the very best deals in town.

cottagehunter

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:50:51 pm »

Quote from: iancl

Try www.greytech.com also in Markham area . Priced one of their intel 17 series computers and it was cheaper to buy it assembled from them than to buy the parts and assemble it myself.

JDClements

• http://www.jdanielclements.com
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 08:47:19 pm »

Also try Active Surplus, down a few blocks on Queen (at the foot of Beverly) if you need "raw" parts for just about any type of project.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 08:20:40 pm »

Hi Jon,

I have done business with a lot of the shops there, just depending on who has the best price or stock any given day. It's on my walk home, so comparison shopping is easy.

I do, however, second an earlier poster's endorsement of newegg.ca  I ordered twice from them in anticipation of the Antarctica trip (just got back to BA - it was amazing) and they were superb.

They stock the Transcend CF cards, which I prefer (for no reason other than they look nice, cost less, work flawlessly and are different from what everyone else shoots) at prices that make your head spin compared to canadian retail. I also bought a 320GB portable drive (also Transcend) in a military-spec shock casing for $90. it's worked flawlessly on the trip, as have the 16GB and 8Gb 300x UDMA cards.  

I placed my last order with them from my couch on sunday night and the package was in my mailbox on wednesday morning. So far, 10 out of 10.

Hope you guys are enjoying the snow...it's 29 degree C. down here!

Cheers,

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up