Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NX2 bundled offer with D700  (Read 4030 times)

OldRoy

• http://
NX2 bundled offer with D700
« on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:58 am »

I sent off the application for authentication of the NX2 installation which was given to me when I bought my D700 at the end of December. Not having received any response (the offer runs out at the end of January) I emailed Nikon and was directed to a support telephone number, which I called. They had my application on record however they said that it wouldn't yet be processed because the software was "out of stock".
Now the installation I have clearly requests either "continue trial" or "enter product key" on launch. So why would they bother supplying another installation disc when an authentication key is all that's required? I pointed this out and was told "that's how it works". If so, I'd describe this as an idiotic waste of resources. Anyone else authenticated the "free" offer yet?
Roy

stamper

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 03:52:09 am »

Quote from: OldRoy
I sent off the application for authentication of the NX2 installation which was given to me when I bought my D700 at the end of December. Not having received any response (the offer runs out at the end of January) I emailed Nikon and was directed to a support telephone number, which I called. They had my application on record however they said that it wouldn't yet be processed because the software was "out of stock".
Now the installation I have clearly requests either "continue trial" or "enter product key" on launch. So why would they bother supplying another installation disc when an authentication key is all that's required? I pointed this out and was told "that's how it works". If so, I'd describe this as an idiotic waste of resources. Anyone else authenticated the "free" offer yet?
Roy

There seems to be a lot of problems with these type of offers. If the process doesn't happen then there isn't any adverse publicity to shame them into honoring the deal. I bought a television last year with a £50 cash back deal. Despite sending in the receipts they gave me the run around and they didn't send the cash. The moral of the story is buy the product if you really want it and don't rely on the "bonus" add on.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:58:48 am »

Quote from: stamper
There seems to be a lot of problems with these type of offers. If the process doesn't happen then there isn't any adverse publicity to shame them into honoring the deal. I bought a television last year with a £50 cash back deal. Despite sending in the receipts they gave me the run around and they didn't send the cash. The moral of the story is buy the product if you really want it and don't rely on the "bonus" add on.
I get really sick of the way companies abuse sales-stimulating strategies like this. I would have bought a D700 anyway, so it was a bonus as far as I was concerned. There's a fair body of opinion that it's a lot better than ACR, which I have used previously, so it seems worthwhile to get familiar with it. I just downloaded the evaluation version of DxO too, which looks like a winner on account of the lens mapping function which covers my principal lenses. When I'll get a chance to evaluate this stuff systematically is another question.

I sent Nikon "help" (which previously just bounced me off to the "not how it works" phone number) asking for a specific clarification of, er, how it works. I don't know if it's just a function of advancing age but I'm no longer prepared to simply accept this sort of nonsense. I'll mention the words "telecoms suppliers" in this context...

I'll post any response I get from them, and the eventual outcome.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up