Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where to sign a fine art print  (Read 2332 times)

tony Rosca

• http://www.photophan.com
where to sign a fine art print
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:01:25 pm »

Hi everybody,
It seems like a huge debate where to sign your prints. I use to sign right on the print above the mat but a friend of mine told me that it's a no-no . I just thought if the collector wants to change the mat/frame my signature will still be on the print. Did anybody know a link to an article or some more info about the proper way to do it?
Thank you guys

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:20:29 am »

Quote from: tony Rosca
Hi everybody,
It seems like a huge debate where to sign your prints. I use to sign right on the print above the mat but a friend of mine told me that it's a no-no . I just thought if the collector wants to change the mat/frame my signature will still be on the print. Did anybody know a link to an article or some more info about the proper way to do it?
Thank you guys

I dont think there is really a proper way - or for that matter even a status quo.

I just had to make this decision however for my current landscape exhibition at Montsalvat 'Rock, Snow and Water' Australian landscapes.

What I did was sign the actual print in the white border in black felt tip, then signed the matt in pencil - both on the lower right. That way if the matt is ever changed there is still an original signature and the new matt can be made slightly larger to expose it.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »

With one exception, my prints are signed on the back, well within the edges of the sheet. If possible, I sign with a graphite pencil, which should ensure that the signature and whatever information I put there last as long as the print.

Caveat: I'm not an accomplished photographer with lots of exhibitions and sales, merely an amateur whose prints are in the hands of friends and family. So my choice is reflected by the interest future generations within the family and friend spheres might have in the prints.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up