Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibrance?  (Read 7642 times)

mbalensiefer

Vibrance?
« on: January 10, 2009, 07:40:43 am »

I was messing with my videocard's software settings and stumbled upon "Vibrance"; which makes some of my images look very nice. It is not like Contrast, though perhaps it can be described as an overall color "burn"...is there a feature like this in Photoshop?

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
Vibrance?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 08:13:15 am »

Yes, under Layer, New Adjustment Layer in CS4.

Jack

brianrpatterson

• http://www.brianrpatterson.com
Vibrance?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 08:37:00 am »

According to Martin Evening in his Lightroom manual, Saturation boosts color in linear manner while Vibrance does so in a nonlinear fashion.

Vibrance allows for adding saturation to the softer colors - and is supposed to even 'filter out colors that fall within the skin color range'.
Saturation is meant for big shifts to an image's saturation.

Not exactly what you were talking about but thought it might be of interest...
Brian Patterson[/color

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Vibrance?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:30 am »

Quote from: mbalensiefer
I was messing with my videocard's software settings and stumbled upon "Vibrance"; which makes some of my images look very nice. It is not like Contrast, though perhaps it can be described as an overall color "burn"...is there a feature like this in Photoshop?

Vibrance is a tool in ACR in CS3 & CS4. While it makes some color adjustments it also sharpens the image to some extent. If you watch your image while moving the Vibrance slider you can easily see how this tool works. I use it on all my raw images.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Vibrance?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:48:44 am »

Quote from: brianrpatterson
According to Martin Evening in his Lightroom manual, Saturation boosts color in linear manner while Vibrance does so in a nonlinear fashion.

Vibrance allows for adding saturation to the softer colors - and is supposed to even 'filter out colors that fall within the skin color range'.
Saturation is meant for big shifts to an image's saturation.

Not exactly what you were talking about but thought it might be of interest...

Saturation is a linear adjustment: Everything moves in the direction towards increase saturation.
Vibrance is a non linear adjustment. More saturated colors move differently then lass saturated colors with the addition of a skin tone (color range) protection since Saturation often has negative effects on skin.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

01af

Vibrance?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:44:30 pm »

If you're using your machine for image post-processing then it would be a very bad idea to mess with the video card driver's saturation or vibrance adjustments. Or if you cannot resist doing so then by all means re-profile your monitor and have the new profile installed as your current monitor profile. If you don't have monitor profiling tools then keep your hands off the video card driver's adjustments!

-- Olaf

Eyeball

Vibrance?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 06:11:29 pm »

Quote from: JohnBrew
While it makes some color adjustments it also sharpens the image to some extent.

John, I have never read of any evidence indicating that Vibrance in ACR, LR, or PS applies any degree of sharpening nor have I seen evidence of that in images where I have used Vibrance.  I believe you are incorrect with that statement.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Vibrance?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 02:15:41 am »

It doesn't sharpen. Vibrance increases the saturation of areas of less-saturated colour, while attempting to respect skin colours. It is an adaptive adjustment which affects areas rather than all pixels of a colour, and this may be the effect the OP is seeing.

mbalensiefer

Vibrance?
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:53 am »

Good replies; thanks.

Michael
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 07:39:59 am by mbalensiefer »

mbalensiefer

Vibrance?
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 07:36:36 am »

Alright.

What is the BEST way to use Vibrance under PS?

I seem to have the options under Vibrance of Normal, Burn, Dodge, etc...none of which, in my experimentation, comes close to what I achieved with my video card's settings. Some options don't make a difference at all.

Step-by-step, please

Michael

Eyeball

Vibrance?
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 09:36:45 am »

I played around a bit with the Digital Vibrance control on my Nvidia card to see what you were talking about.  I normally have it set to 0 since I use a monitor calibrator/profiler.

It looks to me like it is mainly boosting saturation.  The Nvidia tech papers try to imply it is doing other fantastic things beyond that but I don't really see it.  It may be boosting warm colors slightly more than cool ones but since the adjustment affects the display directly it is isn't possible to do a side by side comparison without taking a photograph of the display or using two equal displays side-by-side.

If you shoot raw and use camera raw with PS, I think boosting the saturation slider and maybe adding some clarity should take you in the right direction.

If you are using PS alone, just try boosting saturation.  To simulate Clarity, use Unsharp Mask with a high radius and low amount.  That often works well to remove minor haze.

Some other techniques that you might want to play with:
- Create a duplicate layer, apply a subtle Gausian Blur, and put the duplicate layer in Soft Light mode.
- Edit>Convert to Profile (LAB).  Bring up Curves and for the A and B channels, move the upper-right endpoint to the left and the lower-left endpoint to the right by the same amounts. Convert back to colorspace of your choice.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
Vibrance?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 08:48:09 am »

Quote from: JohnBrew
Vibrance is a tool in ACR in CS3 & CS4. While it makes some color adjustments it also sharpens the image to some extent. If you watch your image while moving the Vibrance slider you can easily see how this tool works. I use it on all my raw images.

Good grief! What was I thinking? For some reason I confused "Clarity" and "Vibrance". Sorry about that. I would add that I use Vibrance @ 40-50% depending on the image and I have just about quit using any "Saturation". I think the clarity and vibrance sliders are some of the most effective tools ACR has ever had.

MarkM

• Alaska Photographer Mark Meyer
Vibrance?
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 08:35:32 pm »

I just did some experiments and it turns out that the saturation control in hue/saturation and the slider on the vibrance panel are very different. And both, naturally are different from vibrance. The hue/saturation control is quite linear, but neither control on the vibrance panel in photoshop are. You can see for yourself:
http://www.photo-mark.com/notes/2009/jan/1...and-saturation/

mbalensiefer

Vibrance?
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 08:48:48 am »

Good grief! What was I thinking? For some reason I confused "Clarity" and "Vibrance". Sorry about that. I would add that I use Vibrance @ 40-50% depending on the image and I have just about quit using any "Saturation". I think the clarity and vibrance sliders are some of the most effective tools ACR has ever had.

Please expand, John.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up