Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hating Leopard 10.5.6  (Read 12219 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2009, 08:40:07 pm »

I'm running a 2x3 Ghz Quad core, with 16 GB of ram, 10.5.6 has run flawlessly using mainly PS, LR, safari, one stupid game I am over addicted to.  also on my new MacBook Pro 15" with no issues.

I know, not much help, but just wanted to add I feel your frustration because I do remember a couple of system upgrades that resulted in similar problems .. once where I couldn't even get my screen to show up (my fault for using a GUI modifying addon) which required a full archive and install of system software.  It's hard to pin down exactly what is going on.  

The ram thing sounds funny I know, but I've actually heard that before as well.  I vaguely recall an update a few years ago that changed how RAM was validated at start up that actually disabled some 3rd party ram.  I think it was serious enough Apple even addressed it with an update (although at my age I might be confusing events from the past.)

Good Luck.

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 03:22:10 am »

Bernard.
I made a jump to 10.5.6 on my imac with no problems.
( I stay with 1055 on my 8Core )
I had similar problems (   move Tiger to Leopard )  as yours with restart curtain of death ,
and after a long struggle I found that it was one bad RAM module .
Original Apple hardware test did not find any problems ( because RAM was not Apples own )

I bought MEMTEST script and it  found the problem ..
( it is a very cheap program )

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 04:37:08 pm »

This thread illustrates why I get so annoyed with people who say buy a Mac 'it just works'. They are no different from PCs in that they suffer from bugs and glitchy hardware.
I've had numerous problems with my Feb08 MacPro, some were fixed by Leopard updates through the year, yet recently I've had numerous niggles and glitches, which now I'm beginning to wonder if it's the .6 update for Leopard.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

martinog

• http://www.artesheila.com/foto.html
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »

Bernard,

I had a problem when erased and reinstalled OS 10.4 and all other software for my wife on a G5 that I had been using, it was only when I installed the last program and I had a problem that I eventually found was a bad RAM module, that had previously only caused very intermittent problems.

So far, I have not had any problems with 10.5.6 on my Intel 2.66 dual with 8Gb ram. With each update I have always booted into safe mode and then applied the combo update.

Hope this helps

Martin

David Hufford

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 01:15:19 am »

Quote from: jjj
This thread illustrates why I get so annoyed with people who say buy a Mac 'it just works'. They are no different from PCs in that they suffer from bugs and glitchy hardware.
I've had numerous problems with my Feb08 MacPro, some were fixed by Leopard updates through the year, yet recently I've had numerous niggles and glitches, which now I'm beginning to wonder if it's the .6 update for Leopard.

My thoughts exactly---mine is brand new and doesn't work. My biggest problem, being unable to stay connected to the Internet (either wireless or wired) even though it connects to the router fine, and even though my WIndows PCs all can connect is pretty common on the Mac forums. Many believe it is related to the .6 update, but others have had the problem with earlier updates. The difference for me is that I never had a problem that I could not solve with Windows. Eight days of effort has brought no results. I suspect that this is only the beginning of my Mac education.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:16:50 am by drichi »
*Never fall in love with anything that c

pminicucci

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 10:32:42 am »

Rock solid here on 10.5.6. (No help, I know.)

Just let me remind you to read your Console/Crash logs. These will often pinpoint the issue, or narrow it down to whatever is the likely culprit.
Best,
Pat

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2009, 12:41:20 am »

Thank you all so much for your sympathy and advice.

Not sure yet what the problem is, but I'll keep looking.

A relaxing weekend in the sub-zero Japanese backcountry has at least helped me cool down a bit.

Cheers,
Bernard

Ray

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2009, 01:45:27 am »

Quote from: jjj

You know, I was thinking the same thing when reading this thread. I was about to recommend to Bernard that he switch to a PC, but I'm not sure he would appreciate the advice   .

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2009, 03:23:19 am »

Dear all,

I believe that I have found the cause of the abends. It was most probably an ATTO SCSI-320 PCI card driver incompatibility issue with 10.5.x.

Not a single crash since I updated the driver (the previous one was already supposed to be Leopard friendly). I do owe an apology to apple, they were not directly responsible for this issue.

Ray, it looks like my Mac days are not over yet.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Regards,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 04:52:00 am by BernardLanguillier »

shuttersny

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Dear all,

I believe that I have found the cause of the abends. It was most probably an ATTO SCSI-320 PCI card driver incompatibility issue with 10.5.x.

Not a single crash since I updated the driver (the previous one was already supposed to be Leopard friendly). I do owe an apology to apple, they were not directly responsible for this issue.

Ray, it looks like my Mac days are not over yet.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Regards,
Bernard
       Amazing at all the people ready to blame OS 10.x for whatever is wrong with their machines. This is not directed at Mr. Languiller  or anyone in particular. I work with both Mac and PC's. I personally own 9 Mac's ( Intels, G4's G5's, Pro's and Macbook) all running 10.5.6 that are used regularly without a stitch of troubling including a G3 which isn't even supposed to be able to run it. (Yes I did have to do a "little trick" to get the Leopard installation disk to install on an unsupported machine.
I run Capture 4.5.6 on two G5's without a hit of trouble albeit slower than the Intels. I also run Lightroom 2.2, Photoshop, CS 3 and CS 4, Raw Developer 1.8.2, Photo Matix
I started on PC's but now only maintain 2 full  PC machines a Dell and an HP only for a few programs that don't exist for the Mac and for testing purposes. I have found on either platform - if you do not have uncorrupted directories, overly fragment drivers, or outdated drivers - you are asking for trouble. Not to start a flame but I now favor MAc because the ease of maintaining them. That may be a strange concept to some - the concept of maintenance- checking things are up to date - checking files are not corrupted, nor directories. I avoid working on or helping other peoples' machine because I have no idea how they have maintained but when I do the trouble is either in the directories, the cards they have put in or out of date driver. Of course it is these people who complain the loudest about an OS not working - Of course these same people bitch about whatever OS it is and of course they NEVER back Up anything so recovering their hard drives or resurrecting their machines is mission critical. I have seen multiple installations of programs on the same machine, drives with cross linked files, trashed permissions, machines on a flaky power supply - Hey don't even get me started about the need for UPS's for each machine (clean power is a must for smooth operating computers - yes all 11 machines are powered through UPS'S - Uninterruptible Power Supply) as well as simple RTFM problems - all very basic common operating items.
I guess what I'm saying what I find the problem is in most situations is "operator error" or should I say error to care for the hardware software not the OS. They usually are willing to throw the baby out with the bath water.  I am very glad the Mr. Languiller had the where with all to track down and solve his problem (SCSI Cards have always been a nightmare - I maintain an old G4 just for anything that needs that type of connection.
Sorry for the rant but that's my take on it.      

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 04:16:29 am »

Quote from: shuttersny
I guess what I'm saying what I find the problem is in most situations is "operator error" or should I say error to care for the hardware software not the OS. They usually are willing to throw the baby out with the bath water.  I am very glad the Mr. Languiller had the where with all to track down and solve his problem (SCSI Cards have always been a nightmare - I maintain an old G4 just for anything that needs that type of connection.

As I wrote elsewhere, I believe that I do deserve the blame. Apple was indeed not directly responsible for my problem.

For what it is worth though, the installed driver of the SCSI card when the problem occured was a version that I knew was supposed to be compatible with 10.5.x. I had prepared my Mac Pro a few months ago for a migration to Leopard, and has installed all the Leopard compatible versions of the software, including that SCSI card driver.

I then tried installing 10.5.2 on another iMac at home, and had many instabilities that convinced me it was better to stay on Tiger on the Mac Pro.

So I should have indeed double checked that driver before/after installing 10.5.6, but I had not anticipated the fact that a driver designed to work on 10.5.2 would cause OS crashes on 10.5.6...

As far as general maintenance goes, I agree that it is important, I also agree that many people don't devote enough time to these tasks, but I don't believe that I am one of those. Disk Warrior 4 is installed on both of my Macs, and I believe that I spend more time than average making sure that all the critical software in my workflow are always up to date. I do also very regular back up of my raid5 disks on other raid5 disks,...

Cheers,
Bernard

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 07:19:46 am »

heh... everybody needs to vent, one time or another.  Forums like this are invaluable for catching stuff you've missed...  even experienced, rational users.  Nobody thinks of everything...  The frustration that accompanies troubleshooting essential systems is part of the package, whatever gets the blame.  

This wasn't operator error.  I have a department of service guys who deal with true operator error.  Story time.  

A guy calls in with a power-up issue, Andy takes the call.  Andy asks, sir, is the system plugged in.  The guy flips out.  And says, yes, (expletiveexpletiveexpletive) it's plugged into the surge protector.  Andy says, is the surge protector plugged in?  Silence.  Chime noise.  Guy berates Andy again, saying he's going to report him for his insolence, and he's going to "keep an eye on" this machine...  

There's an ad on the radio right now for a local coffee/donut chain that goes like this.  Tech support gets a call like Andy's.  Is it plugged in, he asks.  To what, the user asks.  To the wall, the tech asks.  User says, uh, the computer didn't come with a wall...  (ad line is, we can handle this.  have a cup of coffee.)  

Ted Dillard

shuttersny

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2009, 12:12:07 pm »

Quote from: teddillard
heh... everybody needs to vent, one time or another.  Forums like this are invaluable for catching stuff you've missed...  even experienced, rational users.  Nobody thinks of everything...  The frustration that accompanies troubleshooting essential systems is part of the package, whatever gets the blame.  

This wasn't operator error.  I have a department of service guys who deal with true operator error.  Story time.  

A guy calls in with a power-up issue, Andy takes the call.  Andy asks, sir, is the system plugged in.  The guy flips out.  And says, yes, (expletiveexpletiveexpletive) it's plugged into the surge protector.  Andy says, is the surge protector plugged in?  Silence.  Chime noise.  Guy berates Andy again, saying he's going to report him for his insolence, and he's going to "keep an eye on" this machine...  

There's an ad on the radio right now for a local coffee/donut chain that goes like this.  Tech support gets a call like Andy's.  Is it plugged in, he asks.  To what, the user asks.  To the wall, the tech asks.  User says, uh, the computer didn't come with a wall...  (ad line is, we can handle this.  have a cup of coffee.)  

Not to turn this thread into a different topic but I was once asked to help a friend of the family to install software on his computer - because he couldn't find the CD "tray" (as they were back when) Anyhow I walked over to his house and when I saw the computer - I almost burst out laughing - he thought the "CD Tray" was a coffee holder and had a styrofoam cup "in it".
I kid you not"

There is a really old comedy "bit" "called Internet Help Desk" that if you haven't seen you must:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/ava...esmonocable.flv

teddillard

• http://www.teddillard.com
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 05:56:50 am »

Not to turn this thread into a different topic but I was once asked to help a friend of the family to install software on his computer - because he couldn't find the CD "tray" (as they were back when) Anyhow I walked over to his house and when I saw the computer - I almost burst out laughing - he thought the "CD Tray" was a coffee holder and had a styrofoam cup "in it".
I kid you not"

There is a really old comedy "bit" "called Internet Help Desk" that if you haven't seen you must:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c272/ava...esmonocable.flv

hysterical...  forwarded to Andy.  

("how old are you?  9?  perfect...)
Ted Dillard
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up