Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hating Leopard 10.5.6  (Read 12220 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« on: January 09, 2009, 09:36:06 am »

Need to vent a little...

Had to upgrade to OSX 10.5.6 3 days ago because of Capture One 4.6.

System is a Mac Pro 8 cores with 16GB ram.

- One year usage of 10.4.x -> 1 system crash
- 10 hours using 10.5.6: 3 system crash

Any idea what could be causing these?

On top of the instability, I also find that the transfer speed I am getting from my soft raid 0 bi-raptor set up is about 1.5 times lower than what I was getting with Tiger, making the computation time of panoramas at least 4 times longer.

An amazing upgrade really, thank you PhaseOne for giving me the chance to remember that not all OS work great...

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 09:45:23 am by BernardLanguillier »

David Hufford

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:33 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Need to vent a little...

Had to upgrade to OSX 10.5.6 3 days ago because of Capture One 4.6.

System is a Mac Pro 8 cores with 16GB ram.

Any idea what could be causing these?

On top of the instability, I also find that the transfer speed I am getting from my soft raid 0 bi-raptor set up is about 1.5 times lower than what I was getting with Tiger, making the computation time of panoramas at least 4 times longer.

An amazing upgrade really, thank you PhaseOne for giving me the chance to remember that not all OS work great...

Cheers,
Bernard

You are not alone...

I just bought an iMac last week. Set it up and it worked fine for the first 30 minutes, then downloaded and installed updates. Now it connects to my router, but cannot stay connected to the Internet. When it does, it loads pages slower than a dial-up. I cannot go to sites with images such as Flickr, because it is unable to load the images. I have seen it hang for over 5 minutes. I am back to wire for the first time in 6 years and spend most of my time back on Windows. Needless to say, I am not impressed. After wasting hours and hours trying to solve this mess, I am now thinking of boxing it up and sending it back to Yodobashi.

From the Apple site forum and around the web, I get the impression that 10.5.6 has caused a number of problems. I don't know if that is common for Apple updates or not.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:07:53 am by drichi »
*Never fall in love with anything that c

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:31:38 am »

11.5 hours of work, 5 system crashes, the last one cost me 30 minutes of tough PS editing...

Getting real mad, time to go to bed.

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:49:26 am »

The 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 updates caused a lot of issues. Apple might already have shifted programmers to 10.6. I reported several bugs that produce crash/hang and data loss but I've received no or very little feedback from the dev teams.
When 10.5 was released, the important bugs that I reported triggered either a "we need more info ASAP" or "we already know"  reply from Apple.

Francois

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:32 am »

I too have found it unstable. Programs hang, then when try to force quit, they don't so have to reboot. Glad in a way that it isn't just my computer. It seems to have been better since I repaired permissions after starting from a system dvd. Still not right though.

francois

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:11:11 am »

Quote from: John Schweikert
francois,

What machine are you running Leopard? I tried to upgrade my G5 and it was a complete disaster with ripple effect that required rebuilding my RAID. Maybe in the future I'll try it again on that machine. I find on Intel Macs, 10.5.5 seems to be decent and local friends say the same.
I'm running Leopard on different Macs, ranging from dual G5s to Intel-powered towers & Xserves. I have very little problems with my MacBook Pro but I'm not so lucky with the other models.
Francois

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:10:05 pm »

I have two intel macs running 10.5.6, no problems so far, I wonder if the crashes are RAM related, too little or the wrong brand...
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

mistybreeze

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 12:53:43 pm »

Quote from: ddk
I have two intel macs running 10.5.6, no problems so far, I wonder if the crashes are RAM related, too little or the wrong brand...
I hear certain third-party RAM can cause a lot of issues, crash being just one. I think it really pays to get RAM from a reputable dealer, one who is serious about offering guarantees.

On a good note, 10.5.6 fixed my Adobe/HP Laserjet 1320 issue. For months, we couldn't print any Adobe document on the HP because of some Adobe/Apple incompatibility issue. I had to rely on an older G4 running Tiger. There were a deluge of complaints and the workarounds were exhausting. I'm glad it's fixed. Just waiting for another shoe to be dropped, or thrown.  

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:11:10 pm »

I'm assuming everyone has run Disk Utility?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 01:20:12 pm »

Hi!

I got the impression that Bernard was using Tiger before being forced to 'upgrade' to Leopard.

Quote from: John Schweikert
You can selectively download the combo updater from the Apple website to get just 10.5.5 which on my Macbook seems to work OK. I don't have crashes. A few quirks still with mobileme with another machine on Tiger.

I say stick with 10.5.5 for now, Capture One Pro 4.6 works fine with 10.5.5, that's the minimal OS required. I used to update Tiger regularly when those updates came available, but now I wait a good while to hear whether a Leopard update is 'safe' of not. I see 10.5.6 not safe yet.
Erik Kaffehr

Craig Brewer

• http://craigphoto.wordpress.com/
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 01:29:04 pm »

Have 10.5.6 running on a Macbook and iMac and have not had any problems.

knweiss

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 01:43:43 pm »

11.5 hours of work, 5 system crashes, the last one cost me 30 minutes of tough PS editing...
FWIW, my Mac Pro (8 cores, nvidia 8800gt, 6gb) is rock solid with 10.5.6. If I remember correctly I only had a single crash (many months ago) since I've got it in Feb 08.

What do you do in the moment when it crashes?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:44:11 pm by knweiss »

sesshin

• http://
Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 02:27:14 pm »

Mac Pro 2.8 quad core, 16 gigs RAM, OS X 10.5.6 here, no problems whatsover. Had some issues with Lightroom and 64-bit processing for a bit but thats resolved now and anyways I think it was more a Lightroom issue than OS X. Same with the person's internet connection being dropped, that might not necessarily be an OS X problem. Could be router, modem, service provider, etc..

schrodingerscat

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 02:46:56 pm »

Running 10.5.5 here with no problems on an early '08 MBP. I've been putting off the update due to the various problems reported across the board. Figure I'll give Apple a couple more weeks to clean things up and give it a go.

I alway perform my usual ritual for any update and so far have had no problems, and many folks are updating to 10.5.6 with no problem.

I never use Software Update, but rather download from the Apple site. With OS updates I usually do the combo. Repair permissions before and after and make sure nothing else is running while installing the update. Installing updates in the background while working with other apps is what usually gets people in trouble and one of the main reasons to avoid Software Update. I usually run Cocktail after the install for extra mojo. Many will poo-poo this all as unnecessary, but as stated before I've never been bitten by an update (since the OS 7 days) and it doesn't take that much time and certainly can't hurt. Sacrificial chicken is optional.

If still having trouble, check RAM and there is always a chance of compatibility  problems with third party apps and haxies after any OS update. I always wait a couple of weeks after the announcement and see what pops up on various forums in the way of feedback before updating.

I also follow this when upgrading most apps as well and at least run permission repair after any update or install.

PS CS4 really zips with OS 10.5 compared to 10.4.

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 03:55:47 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi!

I got the impression that Bernard was using Tiger before being forced to 'upgrade' to Leopard.

Erik, correct indeed. I had not considered that the .6 could be the issue, but it is possible indeed.

Regards,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 03:58:12 pm »

Quote from: Baxter
I too have found it unstable. Programs hang, then when try to force quit, they don't so have to reboot. Glad in a way that it isn't just my computer. It seems to have been better since I repaired permissions after starting from a system dvd. Still not right though.

Thanks, I'll try repairing the permissions.

Regards,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 03:59:30 pm »

Quote from: ddk

Ram is 16GB from Other World Computing, never had a single problem with Tiger 10.4.8, 10.4.9 up to 10.4.11...

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 04:01:21 pm »

Quote from: Chairman Bill
I'm assuming everyone has run Disk Utility?

Bill,

I have not yet but will try.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 04:05:49 pm »

Quote from: schrodingerscat
Running 10.5.5 here with no problems on an early '08 MBP. I've been putting off the update due to the various problems reported across the board. Figure I'll give Apple a couple more weeks to clean things up and give it a go.

I alway perform my usual ritual for any update and so far have had no problems, and many folks are updating to 10.5.6 with no problem.

I never use Software Update, but rather download from the Apple site. With OS updates I usually do the combo. Repair permissions before and after and make sure nothing else is running while installing the update.

I'll try reparing the permissions. Thanks

Quote from: schrodingerscat
If still having trouble, check RAM and there is always a chance of compatibility  problems with third party apps and haxies after any OS update. I always wait a couple of weeks after the announcement and see what pops up on various forums in the way of feedback before updating.

I also follow this when upgrading most apps as well and at least run permission repair after any update or install.

PS CS4 really zips with OS 10.5 compared to 10.4.

As far as that is concerned, I would be surprised if Ram that didn't cause any problem with 10.4 for thousands of hours of work (bought from OWC) suddenly went weird with Leopard. How can I check the ram?

CS4 is clearly slower now compared to 10.4 on my machine.

Cheers,
Bernard

Mark F

Hating Leopard 10.5.6
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »

I've been running 10.5.6 on my iMac (4g memory, Intel chip) since it came out and have had no problems running LR2, Nikon Scan 4 or Vue Scan 8.5.  The only issue I had was that I bought an HP multifunction printer/copier/scanner/fax machine that would not scan. Spent a long time on the phone with HP support and was told that their drivers have trouble with Leopard.  Bought a Brother machine instead and it worked perfectly right off the bat.
Mark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up