Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 issue when moving an image around 100% view  (Read 5569 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
CS4 issue when moving an image around 100% view
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:40:18 pm »

I have installed CS4 on a older XP 64 bit machine, video card is a nvidia GEFORCE 8400 GS.  Machine is about 1 1/2 years old, 8mb of ram and
a dual core, not core duo processor.  

The installation went fine and CS4 seems to run fine and process files, however when I view an image a 100% view and try to move it around
the image tiles as you move, and gets very jerky.  

This happens in both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

I looked under the performance tab and my GPU settings are greyed out.   CS4 says myvideo card drivers or card may need to be replaced.   I
have upgraded the drivers, but not the replaced the card.  

It's been a long time since I saw this type of problem on CS4 and I can remember some type of setting on tiles that used to fix it, but can't find anything
specific in CS4.

From my reading, I thought that that the GPU had issues with XP64 bit, with the 64 bit edition of CS4 and assumed the 32 bit would be OK.  I also thought
that the GPU and Open GL was more to do with the 3D stuff, which I didn't plan to use.

I have not loaded CS4 on any other 32 bit machine, XP or Vista to see if the issue is only related to this one box.  CS3 works fine, no issues with moving an
image around.

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Do you have
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 12:11:08 am »

From doing more reading, it appears my issue is due to the Open GL design.  I realized that the XP 64 bit OS, had no support for
the CS4 OPen GL extensions,  but thought you could turn them off or not use them.  From reading some of the info and open ticket
information on Adobe's site, I found more info.

Adobe states that you need to want to have a video card with at least 512mb of video ram if you are going to use the Open GL.  
They talk about upgrading the video driver so that it supports Open GL 2.0 and a certain version of shader.  They also recommend
turning off the Open GL Extension if you still have problems after upgrading your driver.  From that I would assume that you could
still get a smooth transition on a 100% view without the Open GL turned on.

Does anyone have CS4 setup with the Open GL turned off on video card with 256mb of ram and get a smooth transition when you
move around your image at a 100% view?  Not a view that  breaks up into blocks as you move around?

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »

I just realized that since I had not yet applied my serial number, I had CS4 Extended running.  Apparently
until you load the serial you get extended to try, which has the GPU functions.

Net, I now am current with just CS4, and all the GPU functions are greyed out stating not available unless
you are running extended.  So all that is correct.

I still get a real slow jumpy issue when moving around a image at 100%.  These are P45, 1ds MKII, 5D, MKII images
all tif.  However a simple jpg also causes the same problem.

All the same files are fine in CS3.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:22:40 pm »

One more update.

I reached adobe support.  They told me that even though I don't have extended, you still need to use OPen GL even though it's greyed out "not supported in this standard version of CS4".

Tech had me open the software and hold down Shift, cntl & Alt at the same time.  This gives you the option to reset prefs.  I did this and now the images still tile but about 50% faster.  Making it OK.  However it's pretty evident, I will need to get Vista 64 bit and reinstall the software since there is no open GL period for XP 64 bit.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 11:25:04 am »

Are you using the Move tool or the Hand tool? I have OpenGL enabled and with the former I get the "marching blocks" you describe, but with the Hand tool I get smooth movement. I don't know why the 2 tools should work differently, but they do.

Peter

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »

Hi Peter,

It's the hand tool where I have the problem.  Your description of marching blocks is a good one.  

From another forum I found the reference I was looking for for "bigger tiles"  It's buried on the CS4 DVD under goodies.  If you move it
into Plug-ins=extensions, it does help.  On the 32 bit version the problem is almost totally gone.  When you first move the image you might
see the marching blocks, but it quickly smoothes out.  

On the 64 bit version (under XP 64 bit) there is no plug in for bigger tiles, but I moved the 32 bit one there also.  It seems to help there also.  
Not sure why.

I am surprised more people don't seem concerned about this, as I have found a ton of references to the Marching blocks issue when moving around
a larger file.  

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 12:20:46 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

daws

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 07:33:37 am »

I'm running a Nvidia Quadro 4400, 512 MB, latest drivers, on a 4 GB RAM Win32 workstation. CS3 is fast as lightning; CS4 is like moving underwater -- marching tiles with OpenGL on or off. Even clicking back one history state previous takes a full second for the program to respond.

I just use CS4 for Camera Raw; everything else is still CS3. I was sinking too many hours and days into researching the problem. I've got work to get out.

dsp

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:51:36 pm »

Quote from: Paul2660
Tech had me open the software and hold down Shift, cntl & Alt at the same time.  This gives you the option to reset prefs.  I did this and now the images still tile but about 50% faster.  Making it OK.  However it's pretty evident, I will need to get Vista 64 bit and reinstall the software since there is no open GL period for XP 64 bit.
Paul C

Hi Paul, OpenGL works fine with XP64.  The option to select it is just crippled by default.  See http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewConten...rnalId=kb406921
best regards, Darcy

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:12:22 am »

Thanks the link, I missed this post, as no one had been responding.  Ended up reloading vista, however I still have the old drive
with the XP 64 bit environment, and will try this.  It works fine in Vista 64 bit, but that OS has plenty of issues also.

I asked Adobe about this issue and they didn't mention this link.  

Many thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Dinarius

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:59 am »

Quote from: daws
I'm running a Nvidia Quadro 4400, 512 MB, latest drivers, on a 4 GB RAM Win32 workstation. CS3 is fast as lightning; CS4 is like moving underwater -- marching tiles with OpenGL on or off. Even clicking back one history state previous takes a full second for the program to respond.

I just use CS4 for Camera Raw; everything else is still CS3. I was sinking too many hours and days into researching the problem. I've got work to get out.

My experience precisely! I have a similar thread here>

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=32213

I would have thought that my system was up to it, but no. Everything takes so much longer.

That said, ACR 5.2 is pretty much worth the price of the upgrade on its own, but you have to be willing to work in CS3 afterwards!

D.

daws

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 10:06:38 pm »

After spending literally days trying every suggestion posted on the Adobe PS forum, to no avail, I saw the good news posted by Photoshop engineer Chris Cox that Adobe is working on a dot release and ATI and NVidia are working on driver updates.

Whenever those are released, and after seeing the first month of user reports, I'll download the v-dot, update the drivers and give CS4 another shot. No criticism of Adobe, whom I thoroughly respect, but never again will this bloke be an early upgrader of PS or any application -- been there and done that too many times in the past.

In the meantime, ACR 5.2 + CS3 are working splendidly.

Dinarius

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 06:39:35 am »

daws,

Which operating system are you using? I'm Vista x64.

It's odd that you can use ACR 5.2 and not PS CS4. With me the problem is with Bridge/ACR 5.2. I have no problem (yet!) with PS/CS4.

When you access ACR 5.2, are you doing so via PS/CS3 or Bridge CS3?

An Adobe tech has kindly got involved on this thread>

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/?13@45.him...0cr@.59b7fe40/7

and I have sent her full details.

I agree with you on the early adopter issue.

D.

daws

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 02:54:30 pm »

Quote from: Dinarius
daws,

Which operating system are you using? I'm Vista x64.

It's odd that you can use ACR 5.2 and not PS CS4. With me the problem is with Bridge/ACR 5.2. I have no problem (yet!) with PS/CS4.

When you access ACR 5.2, are you doing so via PS/CS3 or Bridge CS3?

An Adobe tech has kindly got involved on this thread>

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/?13@45.him...0cr@.59b7fe40/7

and I have sent her full details.

I agree with you on the early adopter issue.

D.

XP Pro.

I launch CS4, convert RAW to .PSD in ACR 5.2, then close CS4 and launch CS3.

Thanks for the heads up on the Adobe forum thread!

Dinarius

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 07:42:12 am »

I downloaded ACR 5.3 beta from here>

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.3#Download

and it appears to have solved ALL my problems!  

I can save out any number of Canon or Hasselblad files - I have never been able to save out more than 2 or 3 Hassie files at a time, not even in CS3 which works perfectly with Canon files.

So, very happy now.

D.

ps. Thanks to Adriana at Adobe!

daws

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 01:34:41 am »

Well, after a week of hearing no major screaming from the Adobe forum about 11.0.1, I gave it a try and voila! -- CS4 works perfectly! Performance is just as fast as CS3, which is to say very fast indeed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up