Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 20D & BG-E2 Question  (Read 2543 times)

RobertJ

20D & BG-E2 Question
« on: March 28, 2005, 07:11:36 am »

Sorry Kevin, but the BG-E2 has it's known problems, especially when using AA batteries.  Don't use it with AA batteries, and also, you might want to avoid the battery grip altogether, or send it to Canon so they can do the "fix", which gives it a better, more solid connection to the camera, and avoids power losses.  

I haven't bought the grip yet for my 20D.  I'm *hoping that they'll redesign the whole thing, but then again, some people's grips work great, and some grips have lots of problems.  It's a strange accessory.

T-1000

Pete

20D & BG-E2 Question
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 11:48:42 pm »

Just out of curiosity . . . what are these "known Problems" you mentioned?  I'd llike to compare experiences but would like to hear first what others have noticed.   Thanks!

Pete

20D & BG-E2 Question
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 11:07:07 am »

Thanks T-1000,
I have experienced some of those also.  Mostly, though, I think mine just doesn't always fit so tightly, as you described.    :My 10D and its grip always seemed much more securely fastened together.

As far tas the battery metering problem, I only experienced that once or twice, and that was only after a longer time than most  when I just didn't use the camera--most weeks I put though a lot of frames and am regularly recharging my BP-511's, but this happened after a two or three week lull.

The only other problem I've noticed is that, when I have the camera mounted on a bracket, the lcd goes blank sometimes if I try to shoot a horizontal  with the flash arm in the vertical position (sometimes good for creating some sculpting of light on cakes at parties and weddings and such stuff.f

Again, thanks for the info.

Kevin_S

• http://www.celticlightimages.com
20D & BG-E2 Question
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 11:53:33 pm »

Well Gang I finally did it today, traded in my D100 and all Nikon gear and walked out of B&H a happy man with a 20D, BG-E2, 17-85 and 580ex.  Was so excited to start shooting that I bought some AA lithium batteries put them in the BG-E2 and went over to Washington Square park.  This is where the trouble began, when I pressed the shutter the camera locked up, nothing, nadda, ziltch.  I removed the battery pack, waited a few seconds reinserted it and the camera powered up.  I could use the menus, and I checked the firmware version ( 1.1.0) but the camera would not take pictures with the AA battery pack installed in the BG-E2.  Does anyone have any Idea why?  The batteries where fresh nowhere near the end of their shelf life.  Is this a known problem?  is there a fix?  Any advice would be great.

Kevin.

PS:  Loaded up the camera with it's supplied battery and shot 25 or so images and I can say with confidence that I made the right choice by switching.

Pete

20D & BG-E2 Question
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 11:48:00 pm »

Just out of curiosity . . . what are these "known Problems" you mentioned?  I'd llike to compare experiences but would like to hear first what others have noticed.   Thanks!

RobertJ

20D & BG-E2 Question
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 05:23:55 pm »

Some come loose, and lose battery power.  Some grips fit perfectly, but have a battery meter problem, where the camera shows low battery levels after only about 100-200 shots, then shuts off the camera, while it should really last for more than 1,000 shots.

And others say with heavy lenses, in portrait mode, especially with a flash, the grip would just lose contact, and all power is immediately lost.

I believe Canon has a fix, if you just send it in, but some have done so, and still report the battery meter problem.  Then again, there ARE some good grips out there that work properly in the first place.

T-1000

61Dynamic

• http://
20D & BG-E2 Question
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 12:11:50 am »

I'm not impressed with the 20D battery grip. It pretty much is the same design and construction as the hokey POS battery grip that is available for the 300D. The 10Ds grip was far better designed.

Anyway, I know of a few photographers that have the 20D and experience problems with it locking up. The camera just freezes and the (rechargeable) battery has to be removed and re-inserted before the camera can be used agian. All the photographers I know that have that problem also have the grip. Never thought that the grip might be the problem but it's something to look into...
Pages: [1]   Go Up