Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 and Hahnemuhle profiles  (Read 5216 times)

Vlad3

• http://www.kabelik.com
Z3100 and Hahnemuhle profiles
« on: January 08, 2009, 02:46:24 pm »

Hello,

Because I want to test some of the new Hahnemuhle papers I downloaded their Z3100 profiles from their website yesterday.

When I tried to import them (both through my HP Printer Utility and through the server)
but always got a warning note saying the profiles were wrong (they were standard .icc profiles).

I called HP support centre and was told that Z3100 printers only use .oms profiles.

Checked with Hahnemuhle again and discovered that .oms profiles on their site are for Z3200 only.

Therefore my question is: who is right and how do you guys import Hahnemuhle profiles into your Z3100 printers???

Obviously, once I receive my papers I will create new profiles from scratch – still, it was somehow confusing…

Happy New Year to all!

Vlad3

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 04:30:27 pm »

Quote from: Vlad3
Hello,

Because I want to test some of the new Hahnemuhle papers I downloaded their Z3100 profiles from their website yesterday.

When I tried to import them (both through my HP Printer Utility and through the server)
but always got a warning note saying the profiles were wrong (they were standard .icc profiles).

I called HP support centre and was told that Z3100 printers only use .oms profiles.

Checked with Hahnemuhle again and discovered that .oms profiles on their site are for Z3200 only.

Therefore my question is: who is right and how do you guys import Hahnemuhle profiles into your Z3100 printers???

Obviously, once I receive my papers I will create new profiles from scratch – still, it was somehow confusing…

Happy New Year to all!

Vlad3

Vlad,

I'm not familiar with the Z3200 but .oms files are media presets that tell the printer how much ink per channel can be laid down on the papers they are created for, the drying time, etc. For the Z3100 HP created bundles of several media presets that can be installed with the Printer Utility, from time to time new sets appear, I do not think third party suppliers could do that/have done that for the Z3100. For the Z3200 they do it seems and HM must be the first. Along with every media preset will be an .ICC profile that suits it and of course the paper both were made for. So if one uses a HM made media preset on the Z3200 then use the HM profile that goes along with or make a custom profile for it. For the Z3100 you still have to select a HP media preset to base a custom media preset on that suits a HM or another third party paper and after the calibration you have to make a profile that fits that new custom media preset + paper. Some Z3100/Z3200 tools like a (general) ink limitation in the creation of custom media presets allow a better adaption than possible with printers from other manufacturers and HP has some nice docs that tell you which inks are used and the overall ink limitation per media preset, number of head passes etc. Check the Wiki Z3100 pages for the docs.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 03:47:03 am »

In any case the profiles would not work with the 3100 if they are made for a 3200. The color maps are quite different and the settings for the driver are not compatible with the 3100. Hahnemuhle have both the 3100 and 3200 so thye should differentiate between the two and make profiles for both.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 07:05:25 am »

Hello,

Happy New Year to all!

Vlad3

I think you're confusing profiles (.icc) with presets (.oms).
The .icc profiles are just that, small files that translate the color data of your file from its working space into the printer's color space to interpret the colors as accurately as possible. This also lets you soft-proof your image in Photoshop before printing. You don't need to do anything with HP's printer utility; just use Photoshop (or whatever program you print with) and choose the correct profile for the paper/printer/inkset.
The .oms files are instead paper preset files that must be opened and installed using HP's printer utility; they specify the inkload and other setttings for the printer. I believe these files often have an .icc profile inside them, and this gets installed automatically when you correctly install the .oms file.

For what it's worth, I have been very unimpressed with Hahnemuhle's .icc profiles for their papers on the Z3100. I tried using their profile for Photo rag pearl on my Z3100, and while its gamut maps out to be quite large in Colorthink, the color of resulting prints was really poor; drab and too blue. A profile I built with the onboard spectro by contrast is excellent.

Vlad3

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:37:48 pm »

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
I think you're confusing profiles (.icc) with presets (.oms).
The .icc profiles are just that, small files that translate the color data of your file from its working space into the printer's color space to interpret the colors as accurately as possible. This also lets you soft-proof your image in Photoshop before printing. You don't need to do anything with HP's printer utility; just use Photoshop (or whatever program you print with) and choose the correct profile for the paper/printer/inkset.
The .oms files are instead paper preset files that must be opened and installed using HP's printer utility; they specify the inkload and other setttings for the printer. I believe these files often have an .icc profile inside them, and this gets installed automatically when you correctly install the .oms file.

For what it's worth, I have been very unimpressed with Hahnemuhle's .icc profiles for their papers on the Z3100. I tried using their profile for Photo rag pearl on my Z3100, and while its gamut maps out to be quite large in Colorthink, the color of resulting prints was really poor; drab and too blue. A profile I built with the onboard spectro by contrast is excellent.

Thank you, Geoff!

I think you are right, I’m mixing media presets (.oms) with paper profiles (.icc). A part of the confusion is the fact that Hahnemuhle provides only .icc for Z3100 but .oms for Z3200.

Their Z3100 .icc paper profiles gave me good indication (through custom view on CS3) of what paper I should order for my portfolio of BW images.

I will be ordering HM Photo Rag Baryta; I hope it is the right choice.

Still, I have to calibrate the paper myself before I know where I truly stand and how to tweak my images. There is always something new to learn.

Best regards,

Vlad3

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 05:12:49 pm »

I will be ordering HM Photo Rag Baryta; I hope it is the right choice.

Vlad3

Vlad,

I think you will like the Photo Rag Baryta. I assume you read my thread here on "Zeroing in on a paper for my Z3100 and B&W"

here:  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=30800

I just started production printing smaller sizes and the larger 16x20s await my roll of PR Baryta from Shades of Paper.

Let us all know what you think once you get underway.

Jim

Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Vlad3

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:27:56 pm »

Quote from: Jim Cole
Vlad,

I think you will like the Photo Rag Baryta. I assume you read my thread here on "Zeroing in on a paper for my Z3100 and B&W"

here:  http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=30800

I just started production printing smaller sizes and the larger 16x20s await my roll of PR Baryta from Shades of Paper.

Let us all know what you think once you get underway.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your response! I haven’t tested Photo Rag Baryta yet – but I did follow your thread - very useful!

In the meantime I ordered some sample packs, smaller sizes (PR Ultra Smooth, PR Baryta and FA Baryta). I’m not familiar with this new line, therefore I need to check the surface and touch the paper… (was using mostly PR and William Turner when printing on Epson).

BTW I like your website… and I love Arizona! My son spent 4 years at ASU. Every visit was a treat! What shall I tell you, we have snow and more is coming…

All the best!

Vlad3

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:53:48 am »

Vlad,

Thanks for the kind words. By the way, both you and your wife are very talented. Good luck with the paper testing.

I live in Flagstaff and currently my yard is under 2 feet of snow, our second very snowy winter in a row. Enjoy yours!

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.
Pages: [1]   Go Up