Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glacier Storm  (Read 3591 times)

DanVH

• http://www.danhayesphotography.com
Glacier Storm
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:52:19 pm »

[attachment=10801:Glacier_..._MG_1076.jpg]I have been viewing this forum for a while and like what I see and read, so I thought it was time to jump in.
Shot with 5D, processed in Aperture with "dodge/burn" and Nik Siver Efex Pro.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
Glacier Storm
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:56 pm »

Very stark and dramatic image.  The light rays shooting through the clouds are awesome.  I also like the balance created by the line of completely black trees at the bottom.  I might try to lighten up the midtones a bit to give this a little more luminosity.

John R

Glacier Storm
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »

Quote from: DanVH
[attachment=10801:Glacier_..._MG_1076.jpg]I have been viewing this forum for a while and like what I see and read, so I thought it was time to jump in.
Shot with 5D, processed in Aperture with "dodge/burn" and Nik Siver Efex Pro.
I really like the image and the atmosphere you have captured. The rays of light are beautiful but a bit problematic in that they are in the centre and predominate. Not one for literal rules and have nothing against elements that predominate and are centred as long as the overall image is balanced. I feel unease with the rays in the centre. But that's my opinion. You can crop this image so many ways to achieve balance, I suggest only one:

John R
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:13:40 pm by John R »

DanVH

Glacier Storm
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:53:36 am »

Thanks for the comment Brett.
I will take a look at that adjustment tonight.

DanVH

Glacier Storm
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:59:03 am »

Quote from: John R
I really like the image and the atmosphere you have captured. The rays of light are beautiful but a bit problematic in that they are in the centre and predominate. Not one for literal rules and have nothing against elements that predominate and are centred as long as the overall image is balanced. I feel unease with the rays in the centre. But that's my opinion. You can crop this image so many ways to achieve balance, I suggest only one:

John R
John,
I have tried several and have not come up with a crop allows for the expanse of the scene to balance with the centered rays. I have to admit that when I took this photograph the rays forced their way to center of the viewfinder!

John R

Glacier Storm
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 05:28:54 pm »

John,
I have tried several and have not come up with a crop allows for the expanse of the scene to balance with the centered rays. I have to admit that when I took this photograph the rays forced their way to center of the viewfinder!
I see what you mean. I still like it, centre or not.

JMR

DanVH

Glacier Storm
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:49:11 pm »

Opened it up a bit and move the rays a little the the right, I tried a tighter crop and the center tree became distracting.
Improvement or not-I'm a bit torn. Maybe I have to much ownership in the first version.

John R

Glacier Storm
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »

Opened it up a bit and move the rays a little the the right, I tried a tighter crop and the center tree became distracting.
Improvement or not-I'm a bit torn. Maybe I have to much ownership in the first version.
It is a difficult photo to crop because it has elements on either side that are somewhat symmetrical and lead the eye to the centre. They say that odd numbers of elements in a photo, like three trees, sunrays, etc, are more visually pleasing to the eye (edgy, more tension) and perhaps that is one thing that disturbs. But in the end overall balance is more important in such a grand sweeping landscape, so if you find the image a little static, perhaps a crop is in order. I noticed that you can keep most of the landscape intact and place the trees on either side of the centre witht he rays slightly to the right and that seems to work. Now that your shot is lighter, you can see the tree in the bottom black area more, but that is minor quibble.

John R.

DanVH

Glacier Storm
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 09:31:07 pm »

I am leaning towards the original crop, fighting the 2X2 trees and rays seems to be a losing battle. I do like the lighter version  and will mask out the offending tree down below.
Thanks for your comments.
Pages: [1]   Go Up