Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw Video  (Read 21893 times)

Mike Katz

Camera Raw Video
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:40:11 am »

Hello
Which version of ACR does the Camera Raw video apply to?
Mike

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:53:05 pm »

All is explained on the Camera Raw Tutorial page.

We will be doing a full update revision in February/March to include all the local adjustment tools that have been brought over from Lightroom 2. This CR Guide update will be available to purchasers of the existing CR Tutorial either at no charge or at a substantial discount (we have yet to decide which ... dependent on the revision's length and complexity).

So a large proportion of the existing Tutorial will remain 'current' but there is nothing on the new local adjustment tools in CR  - although that is well covered in the Lightroom 2 Tutorial!

Chris

Mike Katz

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:56:20 pm »

Quote from: Mike Katz
Hello
Which version of ACR does the Camera Raw video apply to?
Mike
Thanks!

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 12:46:43 pm »

Quote from: Chrissand
We will be doing a full update revision in February/March to include all the local adjustment tools that have been brought over from Lightroom 2. This CR Guide update will be available to purchasers of the existing CR Tutorial either at no charge or at a substantial discount (we have yet to decide which ... dependent on the revision's length and complexity).

Has any decision been made as to whether there will be a charge for the update revision?

I'd like to purchase the ACR Tutorial but will wait for the revised tutorial if there's a charge for the revision.

And any revised projected release date?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 12:58:39 pm »

At this point, we plan to keep the existing CS3 product but also to add a revised product which will contain the new material that covers the CS4 version of Camera Raw. This will be released in about 12 weeks.

There will be an upgrade discount coupon available to customers who have bought the CS3 version which will reduce the cost of the new product substantially... at this point I am not sure by how much but likely 50%.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:00:59 pm by Chrissand »

Philmar

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 05:26:30 pm »

At this point, we plan to keep the existing CS3 product but also to add a revised product which will contain the new material that covers the CS4 version of Camera Raw. This will be released in about 12 weeks.

There will be an upgrade discount coupon available to customers who have bought the CS3 version which will reduce the cost of the new product substantially... at this point I am not sure by how much but likely 50%.

Chris

When the new material covering CS4 is released, will it be incorporated into the CS3 material and sold as a CS4 video? Or will it always exist separate and apart as an 'add-on" (albeit discounted one) to the current ACR CS3 product?

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:45:43 pm »

There will continue to be the existing CS3 tutorial. There will be a new CS4 tutorial. It will incorporate the CS3 material which remains current within CS4 and the new material exclusive to CS4.

francois

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 06:13:08 am »

There will continue to be the existing CS3 tutorial. There will be a new CS4 tutorial. It will incorporate the CS3 material which remains current within CS4 and the new material exclusive to CS4.
Good news, indeed!
Francois

Philmar

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 03:01:40 pm »

Quote from: francois
Good news, indeed!

Good news indeed....I'll be patient. ...and thanks for your continued support Chris!.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »

We are about to publish the L-L Guide to Raw Processing - New in CS4. It should appear in the Store next week sometime.
I have decided to revise the discount coupon pricing method for CS3 customers that I mentioned above.
There will be three products:
- CS 3 Guide to Raw Processing (the same product that customers currently own) now reduced to $29.95
- CS 4 Guide to Raw Processing - New in CS4  $19.90
- CS 3 & 4 Guide to Raw Processing which will combine both CS3 and CS4 versions for $49.95

This seems to me to be the simplest way of getting the modestly priced CS4 version into the hands of existing CS3 customers. New customers will need the full CS3 & 4 version. They will also need to set aside 10 hours of viewing time

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 07:45:04 pm »

They will also need to set aside 10 hours of viewing time

Heh

As an existing owner of the CS3 tutorial that pricing sounds very fair and reasonable.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:45:45 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:24:55 am »

Quote from: Josh-H
…As an existing owner of the CS3 tutorial that pricing sounds very fair and reasonable.
Yes, this is a good news. Fair pricing is always a good way to keep customers…
Francois

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 11:51:24 am »

Francois - I see you got there before me    but for others the CS4 Raw Processing update video is now available in the Store

Chris

francois

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 11:52:44 am »

Quote from: ChrisSand
Francois - I see you got there before me    but for others the CS4 Raw Processing update video is now available in the Store

Chris
Right…   Dowloading before going home!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:54:40 am by francois »
Francois

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 05:32:26 pm »

Chris, et. al. -

I'm a little confused what to buy, and this may be a matter of personal choice.  I currently run ACR and CS4, and have resisted buying Lightroom to avoid learning more software and didn't find the need to batch process large quantities of files (but could benefit more lately).  I'll also be getting Capture One for an alternate raw processor, but still want to be on top with Adobe Raw.  I did purchase Schewe's ACR CS4 book but have not spent sufficient time to work thru it.  So:

- do find that the video tutorials give a decent amount of learning for the time invested (bought C2P)
- not sure if there's a substantial overlap between the LR2 and CS4 Raw videos
- am interested in the metadata video, even if I don't *think* that I have a library problem.

What can you recommend?  Why get and use ACR + video versus the LR2 counterpart?  I'm feeling that time spent and results are more valuable than money spent.  

Thank you, Ralph

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:12 pm »

I think the first thing you need to settle on is which software you will make the most use of, and then buy your instructional materials accordingly. I have LR 2.4 and PSCS4 with ACR 5.3 all sitting on two computers because ACR comes bundled with PSCS4 and I need the latter for things LR can't do and I need to do. But I prefer LR to ACR because it has the same processing engines, plus additional features I use and a great layout making useability very convenient. You should download the free trial of LR, use it for a while and decide whether you think it's a piece of software you shouldn't live without. If so, then you can't go wrong buying Michael and Jeff's LR2 tutorial, because it really helps you make the program sing. Yes, one spends more money on more programs and more instruction, but the outcomes make it all worthwhile if it doesn't break your budget and bring opprobrium from your spouse.  
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 09:45:40 pm »

Quote from: reburns
What can you recommend?
I'd recommend buying everything and then deciding later what you like  

- but more seriously, Mark's advice is very good.

Chris

Tklimek

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 09:41:52 am »

Ralph....

It also probably depends on what you typically do with your images and how many images you deal with.

The more images you deal with will tend you toward LR.  If you do a lot of "special manipulation", then Photoshop will still be in your future.  When Michael and these guys come back from Antartica with 5000+ images; using just photoshop to do all your corrections etc. could be very time consuming.  However there is bridge and ACR to consider.........I'll let others comment on the "whole package"; i.e.; using Bridge+ACR+Photoshop instead of just using LR.

I think it depends on your workflow.  It would *appear* that most people who use both in their workflow (and anyone that has photoshop WILL use both) probably end up with an 80/20 rule; probably 80% of what they need to do can be accomplished in LR without going to Photoshop.  Actually; I bet that number (80%) is actually much higher for most people.  Full disclosure here; I do NOT have Photoshop but do have a copy of Photoshop Elements.  The sharpening and printing capabilities in LR should be up to or exceed those in Photoshop (no creative sharpening in LR.....YET); and it would appear that LR also excels in dealing with many images simultaneously while Photoshop excels in one at a time.  Jeff Schewe who is a regular on this board and Photoshop guru has indicated a similar philsophy (I believe he has; not trying to put words in Jeff's mouth).  From my own perspective, I can really appreciate the speed at which LR lets me quickly move around my images and apply similar global edits across multiple photos very quickly.  And although I have not yet taken to heart Seth Reznicks excellent advice from the "Where the bleep are my pictures?" video; if the DAM capability is important to you, you most likely would be using LR already.

I fully expect the next version of LR to even close the gap more (less and less reason to exit LR and go to Photoshop for additional manipulation of an image).

Best regards.....

Todd in Chicago

Chris, et. al. -

I'm a little confused what to buy, and this may be a matter of personal choice.  I currently run ACR and CS4, and have resisted buying Lightroom to avoid learning more software and didn't find the need to batch process large quantities of files (but could benefit more lately).  I'll also be getting Capture One for an alternate raw processor, but still want to be on top with Adobe Raw.  I did purchase Schewe's ACR CS4 book but have not spent sufficient time to work thru it.  So:

- do find that the video tutorials give a decent amount of learning for the time invested (bought C2P)
- not sure if there's a substantial overlap between the LR2 and CS4 Raw videos
- am interested in the metadata video, even if I don't *think* that I have a library problem.

What can you recommend?  Why get and use ACR + video versus the LR2 counterpart?  I'm feeling that time spent and results are more valuable than money spent.  

Thank you, Ralph

reburns

• Ralph E Burns Photography
Camera Raw Video
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 10:24:49 am »

Well,

I came back from India with 6000 bracketed images and have hardly touched them, and have 2200 photos of some friend's wedding to turn into an album.  I do see LR in my future, I was just going holding off.  ACR + PS do have batch capabilities and the raw engine is exactly the same.  I always use mask input raw sharpening which exists the same in either program, but might want gravitate to building my own masks (C1 has sharpening threshold which may / may not function the same way).  I also use Qimage for it's very capable print layout, interpolation and sharpening.

It's alright; I can order LR2 just so long as LR3 release isn't just around the corner.

I'm still wondering if I should do the ACR-CS4 video or the LR2 video.  The engine is the same... I've been using Bridge-ACR-CS4... and nearly always add some PS adjustment layers.  

Thanks still, Ralph

KeithR

Camera Raw Video
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 05:19:21 pm »

It's alright; I can order LR2 just so long as LR3 release isn't just around the corner.

Everything is just around the corner. Just depends were you're on the block.  
Since I have absolutly no way of knowing when the next LR will be released, I can only guess that it might be 1st quarter of 2010.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up