Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS4 best colour settings?  (Read 1973 times)

sniper

CS4 best colour settings?
« on: January 07, 2009, 09:15:07 am »

I'm wondering what are the "best" colour settings for CS4, I have been told to use Prophoto and a grey setting of 2.2 to match lightroom.  What would you guys recomend?  Wayne
(cs4 on XP)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:23:43 am »

Quote from: sniper
I'm wondering what are the "best" colour settings for CS4, I have been told to use Prophoto and a grey setting of 2.2 to match lightroom.  What would you guys recomend?  Wayne
(cs4 on XP)

Not knowing the specifics of your workflow....

Yes, by large, I'd suggest you encode all your Raw's into ProPhoto RGB (so let the PS Setting reflect that). Gray depends again on what you're doing in terms of converting to grayscale. Do you use the Mode menu to convert from RGB to gray? If so, this setting plays a role. But what's the final output? 2.2 is a display matching setting (dot gain is a print setting). So it depends.

What's key is having the warning check boxes on and the policies set to preserve, at least initially until you understand what these settings all do.

Leave the Advanced settings alone! Big potential hurt me buttons.

Easiest thing to do is use the US PrePress (North American) preset, then just toggle the RGB working space popup to ProPhoto RGB (the setting until saved to disk which is optional, is "Custom"). You can name, save and load this to other machines.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

sniper

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:28:35 pm »

Thanks Andrew, my workflow varies with different jobs (and customers) but generally we print most in house (canon 24 inch printer) or send stuff for photobooks to Italy (I don't deal with that side so don't know what they want) I think the idea is to match up all the processors but the trouble is the guy giving the instructions knows less than I do (and thats not saying much) we have been using srgb for ages, but all of a sudden he's changed things.  Thanks again. Wayne
Pages: [1]   Go Up