Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog organization question...  (Read 4480 times)

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
Catalog organization question...
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:47:25 am »

I've been working with my first LR2 catalog, it's got 2008 in its title...I thought to create a new catalog for 2009 and start fresh, a new one for each year...but I do like having all my images available in the catalog I have open so I thought to just import the images from my 2008 catalog...does this make sense?...I've only got around 4000 images in it...

I have my original images in a 2008 folder...Now I've started a 2009 folder for this years images...

I'm just not sure of the most logical working structure here...any 'bright' ideas for me please...maybe I'm making this too complicated and there's an easy way to set up my work and the flow...

please forgive if this is too elementary...i've been working a lot...i think i'm too tired to think this through...whatever...

hope you all had a great holiday season...best wishes to you and yours for '09...

M

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:42:03 am »

M,

Obviously the answer depends on your entire DB management plans.  I do create new high-level folders for each year, but I don't have different LR catalogs associated with those years, just the folder structure.  I have two different folder structures: One for raw imports and another for selected and processed images.  My structure looks like this for the raw photos:
WIP
    2008_10_31
       <images shot that day>.cr2  (Canon files)

And for processed images (in a separate catalog):
Photographs_01
    <topic, location, whatever>
        2008_10_31
          <images shot that day>.dng

All images are renamed on import like this:
DChew_YYMMDD_1234.cr2 for unprocessed or
DChew_YYMMDD_1234.dng for processed

I'm not sure why I add the topic / location in the "processed"folder, given that all of my images should have keywords; maybe just old habit.  I still do search by folder sometimes, but I probably don't need to.

Dave

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:32:57 am »

Unless you have a huge number of images, I tend to advise you keep just one library. No matter what image you're looking for, its always in that "other" library.

Are you approaching 100,000 images per library? If so, OK, you'll bog down LR. Otherwise, having multiple libraries means a lot of backup work and moving throughout various libraries looking for images.

If such a time, we can open multiple catalogs at the same time, OK. For now, they become a drag.

For me, finding a year's photo's is super easy in a huge library. Or for that matter, any date range. And my naming structure has the year/month/day after a descriptive name (based on the folder it resides within). But that's all about different naming conventions which can be discussed, but the first order of business is, do you really want separate libraries?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:43 am »

Dave, Andrew...ok, this makes sense...I'll just keep the one library...I don't have huge amounts of images...sure it'll grow but not leaps and bounds...and Andrew, that was my feeling when I thought of using a 2009 library, I'd want to import my 2008 library so I wouldn't have to go opening and closing catalogs/libraries looking for an image...doesn't make sense if I'm gonna take advantage of the global search power via LR...

Dave, am I reading you right?...you do maintain a separate catalog for your processed dng's?...one catalog for all imports, your original files and another for the processed work?...

And I've got my year of photographs folder divided into the the twelve months, Jan.-Dec. as subfolders...an old habit, but still, I didn't want to just keep dumping images into one folder...have a folder with thousands of images but I guess I could...

thanks...

M
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:46:46 am by momo2 »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:57:36 am »

Quote from: momo2
and Andrew, that was my feeling when I thought of using a 2009 library, I'd want to import my 2008 library so I wouldn't have to go opening and closing catalogs/libraries looking for an image

Right. So you can use the Export or Import Catalog command to combine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:20:33 am »

Another vote for one catalogue here, unless you do work you want to keep separate. Say you are a professional photographer, you may want to have all your dul but profitable product work kept separate from your exciting but impoverishing personal work. Normally the benefit of a single catalogue is ease of finding. But if some things are so very different, that is less of an issue.
But if you want to combine images from one with images of another in say a slideshow, you can always export the selected images from one as a catalogue and import into the other one. Best of both worlds.

Quote from: dchew
I have two different folder structures: One for raw imports and another for selected and processed images.
Not sure why you have a separate folder structure for selected/processed images. As if you use LR, you can do you selecting within one folder and simply hide any non selected images. This dual folder method seems to go against the benefits of the LR workflow. And you can process them in place have virtual copies anc normal copies all in one easy to find place. Not sdoing so is the same as having multiple catalogues [folders here] within a catalogue.
Just import your files in their dated folder, select/reject/label/rank in LR and if you need to export any images why not do so to a subfolder of one you are working in. Or even give them a slightly different name say append copy and keep in same folder.
By doing that, all images from one shoot are all in same place, not several different locations, so much easier to find.
Labelling, rating etc allows you to quickly sort out the good from the bad by using filters.
Though if exporting images for use on say the desktop or a specific job from several folders, then a folder for desktop images/job makes more sense.

All images are renamed on import like this:
DChew_YYMMDD_1234.cr2 for unprocessed or
DChew_YYMMDD_1234.dng for processed
I used to do that before realising not having date at front was a big mistake from a sort order point of view. Plus I do 2009-01-07 for date not 090107 as that is so difficult to read if you aren't a computer.
So 2009-02-16 Doona Nook 001.CR2, 2009-02-16 Doona Nook 001.jpg is how I now name my files. Date - description - number.File extension. I also add spaces for legibility, as if I use pics online, spaces are automatically corrected with underlines and capitals removed.
2009-02-16 Doona Nook 001.jpg  then becomes  2009-02-16_doona_nook_001.jpg

I do my folders this following way as they order correctly in any OS, they are easy to read and often you can quickly find stuff by date and basic description sometimes easier than by keywords, particularly if you shoot certain subjects repeatedly, as keywording is not so useful then.
2009/
  -2009-01-Jan/
   --2009-01-06 Beachy Head
    --2009-01-08 Langland Bay
    --2009-01-08 Caswell
 -2009-02-Feb/
  --2009-02-12 Flanborough
  --2009-02-14 Caswell

Shame LR doesn't have the excellent Date Filter than PS Elements organiser used. LR did have a weak version of it, but that was sadly dropped in V2 in favour of the filter panel.

Though If I was a wedding photographer I would keep that work separate from other work and I would file such by name of couple, not date of wedding, as if asked for such images later, it would be by name and not date.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:26:19 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:38:47 pm »

If you are having a problem, like I did with annual high level folders in LR not displaying in the library panel, the solution I have found is to put a few images in the folder for it to display. So I started a 2009 folder with some shots of the local Polar Bear swim. These are in 2009. all other images during 2009 will be placed in appropriate dated sub folders of 2009. I think I picked that up from Mr. Evening's excellent book.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:20:51 am »

Quote from: Rusty
If you are having a problem, like I did with annual high level folders in LR not displaying in the library panel, the solution I have found is to put a few images in the folder for it to display. So I started a 2009 folder with some shots of the local Polar Bear swim. These are in 2009. all other images during 2009 will be placed in appropriate dated sub folders of 2009. I think I picked that up from Mr. Evening's excellent book.

Thanks Rusty...I'll give that a try...I bought Matin's book...going through it now for his file and work method...

M

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:50:56 am »

Quote from: momo2
Thanks Rusty...I'll give that a try...I bought Matin's book...going through it now for his file and work method...

M
I suspect that the reference may be to Martin's book on Lightroom v1. That dummy image method is obsolete in v2 - there's a right click command "Add Parent Folders". There's also a command "Add Folder" which lets you add a new folder to the catalogue .

John

Rusty

• http://www.woodsgift.ca/
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:55:06 am »

Well that worked, thanks John. I highlighted a number of folders located at the root level, of 2008 shots which created a 2008 root folder and placed all of those PLUS a couple of other 2008 folders as well that I did not highlight.
the trick, I think is to be very careful in managing the settings at the time of import.
Here's to a better organized 2009!

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 08:11:06 pm »

Sorry, been off for a while.

I use two catalogs really for only one reason:  I'm not a full-time pro, so it may be days (or weeks?) between when I import files and when I actually get down to editing, developing and keywording.  Two catalogs helps me ensure that the files in the master catalog are edited and developed.  I could do this with some flag, color or other designation, but usually I'm too sloppy.  This ensures I don't screw up.  If it wasn't for that basic issue, I'd put them all in one catalog.

Jeremy:  As for naming, yes I agree the name first might not be the best.  Since I'm the only photographer in the database, It's not a problem now (they're all named DChew first so they still are in date order).  I agree your naming is more robust.  I started naming with my initials first so editors would know right away whose image it was so they wouldn't get mixed up.  This was back when they were, um, labels on slides.  :-P

Dave
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:12:02 pm by dchew »
Pages: [1]   Go Up