Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Tree  (Read 3387 times)

Farmer

A Tree
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:07:50 am »

Since we've had a few trees of late, thought I'd ask for some feedback on a one of my tree shots.  Taken at sunset in the Victorian High Country in Australia.

Phil Brown

Dave Hall

A Tree
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:38:05 am »

Quote from: Farmer
Since we've had a few trees of late, thought I'd ask for some feedback on a one of my tree shots.  Taken at sunset in the Victorian High Country in Australia.

Unusual colour. I would have liked to see some seperation between the tree and background. But a nice shot nevertheless.
Dave.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
A Tree
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 04:51:40 pm »

I love the colours and the composition, but the out-of-focus stalks in the right-hand foreground spoil the shot for me: they are a bit too big, they keep drawing my attention and they're not pretty.

Jeremy

Farmer

A Tree
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:03:10 pm »

Thank you both for the feedback.  I'll have a look at reworking it to remove the oof grass and see how it looks.  Regarding seperation of the tree from the background a bit more, not sure how best to try that but I'll investigate.  Always good to get some other ideas :-)
Phil Brown

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
A Tree
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:37:32 am »

Quote from: kikashi
I love the colours and the composition, but the out-of-focus stalks in the right-hand foreground spoil the shot for me: they are a bit too big, they keep drawing my attention and they're not pretty.

Yes, the stalks blew it for me too.  Also you might want to try this in B&W - if you have Lightroom or Camera Raw you might be able to use the Luminance sliders to achieve the separation you're looking for and I think the main subject has strong lines that might work well in B&W.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Farmer

A Tree
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:52:43 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Yes, the stalks blew it for me too.  Also you might want to try this in B&W - if you have Lightroom or Camera Raw you might be able to use the Luminance sliders to achieve the separation you're looking for and I think the main subject has strong lines that might work well in B&W.

Mike.

B&W is a great idea - more for me to play around with :-)
Phil Brown

jani

• Øyet
A Tree
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

B&W is a great idea - more for me to play around with :-)
Here's a quick take on how to go about that, without caring to do anything about the straws in the foreground:

[attachment=10892:highcountry1b.jpg]

I simply used an adjustment layer for hue/saturation with the following settings:

[attachment=10893:HSL.png]

The image may also benefit from B&W conversion with split toning, e.g. in Lightroom:

[attachment=10894:highcountry1c.jpg]

Settings (B&W conversion at auto):

[attachment=10895:split_toning.png]

These aren't meant to be anywhere near final results, just starting points for further adjustments; I didn't spend more than five minutes on this, including making the #/&"$ screenshots.
Jan

Farmer

A Tree
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 05:58:57 pm »

Thank you, Jan - much appreciated and some ideas for me to continue working with :-)
Phil Brown

John R

A Tree
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 07:32:05 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl

Mike.
I don't see much wrong with the image other than the foreground straws drawing undue attention. Not always avoidable. I guess he could have moved up closer to include areas of grass that were within the parameters of his chosen depth of field. Personally, the photo has a enough separation for me with wonderful gold hazy light. One drawback to almost any manipulation is the loss of the original quality of light, such as luminance and haze. Never quite the same once manipulated. That's my experience.

John R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up