Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F828 Remote flash triggering  (Read 2962 times)

Howard Smith

F828 Remote flash triggering
« on: March 02, 2004, 09:12:28 am »

I have frequently used my Sony 707 flash to trigger the slave on my White Lightning units.  It works fine in manual mode.  I had never given any thought to damaging the camera, I asume from a sudden intense burst of light.  So far so good, but I am a bit nervous about the practice now.  I wonder why Sony has not seen fit to add a sync connection?

Howard Smith

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:58:39 pm »

Thanks for the damage info.   I will return to shooting with the same reckless abandon.  If the camera starts to smoke, it will be a fine time to upgrade the gear.

I don't worry about sync.  The duration of the flash I use is very short, thousands of a second or less.  Using the slave assus the extra light fires after the shutter is fully open.  I simply use a relatively long shutter speed (1/30 or so) and look at the result.

I also set the White Lightnings to overpower the Sony popup so it won't add noticable to the exposure.  That is, if the exposure was made with just the popup, the image would be undrexpossed seval stops.

Howard Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 04:36:48 pm »

I don't know about the prefash with the 707.  It hasn't been a problem.  Also, I set the camera on manual so no exposure calculation or adjustment takes place.  The slaved units are alot more powerful that the pop up.

TBrownlee

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 12:06:26 am »

hello everyone:

I am the happy owner of a new F828. Although not a main part of what I shoot, I would like to know if anyone has used the camera's pop-up flash to trigger other slave units, such as a set of studio units or just a second flash unit.

I have made an initial try: Camera set to "M," flash enabled, slave unit positioned & powered up. Popped a frame to get a flash meter reading, & used that as the basis for my exposure. I kept the shutter speed at 1/30 sec based on observing that the ss stays there when I activate the flash in aperture mode. I do not get a proper exposure & it seems that the CCD doesn't even see the slave flash fire (it does).

Sony has not really been helpful. They say "in theory" this could be done, but recommend staying with another Sony flash or risk damaging the camera's circuitry ("slave" = no direct connection!)

Is there something I'm missing or is this beyond the capability of the F828? As I mentioned, this is not the prime use I had in mind for this camera, but it would be nice to do.

~Ted

TBrownlee

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 11:19:27 am »

Howard:

I think Sony was looking at the possibility of electrical damage if a unit other than their own was connected to the camera & the tech service person didn't understand flash slaving. some units have higher trigger voltages than others and can damage a camera designed to work with lower trigger voltages. Beyond that, Sony just wants me to buy their stuff.

Are you doing anything in particular to synch your 707? My initial test was with a sunpak unit placed fairly close. It's possible that the flash duration was not long enough. If you're not doing anything special, sounds like I need to spend more time playing with my setup.

~Ted

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 03:28:13 pm »

Very possibly the Sony (as with lots of others) fires a pre-flash to set the exposure.  That pre-flash will trigger the slave and as a result the actual exposure won't have the slave.  You can get slaves that fire on the second flash (ie ignoring the pre-flash).  This will work as a fill but since the slave won't fire during the pre-flash, it won't be factored into the exposure calculation.

kit

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 12:35:50 pm »

yes I use my 828 for studio work. the hot shoe must be ON and i attach a flash connector plus cord to the studio main light and 1000's of pic later i have no problems.
yes the 828 in normal flash mode does pre-flash ( same as 717) so sony flashes don'nt work. A cheap flash with hot shoe set ON will also work to set the other studio lights off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up