Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 3800 standard vs pro  (Read 1749 times)

artyfact

epson 3800 standard vs pro
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:18:49 pm »

Having moved along the the path of acquiring new computer and monitor and some software upgrades, I have found myself left with 'just' the replacement of my printer, an Epson 1280.

I am looking at an Epson 3800 Standard vs Pro decision.

What I know: The price difference is about $200 and there is also a $200 coupon available until 1/30/09 applicable to either model. The specific difference is that the Pro contains "Includes PANTONE® licensed and SWOP® certified PostScript Language Level 3 compatible RIP by ColorBurst®".

I believe that software addition is for processing font and graphics work.

I will eventually print some work that has some text, and perhaps some graphics, to accompany photographic projects. (2 year horizon...).

Are there other uses for the software that could influence the choice to get the Pro vs the Standard?

Thanks,

Artyfact

laarree

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 03:30:09 pm »

Do you or will you work with CMYK images/graphics or Pantone colors?  If not, there is no need to get the Pro version of the 3800 with the Colorburst RIP.

I use the Colorburst RIP (full, unbundled version) with an Epson 4800.  It's great for producing proofs of CMYK + Pantone print projects originated in applications like Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, etc. for the graphic designers I work with.  It's completely unnecessary for projects in RGB, even if they include fonts and vector graphics galore.  I believe the version bundled with Epson printers has some limitations that don't exist in the full versionm though I'm not sure what they are specifically.

Quote from: artyfact
Having moved along the the path of acquiring new computer and monitor and some software upgrades, I have found myself left with 'just' the replacement of my printer, an Epson 1280.

I am looking at an Epson 3800 Standard vs Pro decision.

What I know: The price difference is about $200 and there is also a $200 coupon available until 1/30/09 applicable to either model. The specific difference is that the Pro contains "Includes PANTONE® licensed and SWOP® certified PostScript Language Level 3 compatible RIP by ColorBurst®".

I believe that software addition is for processing font and graphics work.

I will eventually print some work that has some text, and perhaps some graphics, to accompany photographic projects. (2 year horizon...).

Are there other uses for the software that could influence the choice to get the Pro vs the Standard?

Thanks,

Artyfact

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 04:00:09 pm »

I bought the Pro version.  I played with the RIP, but at this point realize I the standard version was all I needed.  I'm quite happy with output from PS and LR using the standard OS X drivers, and with LR I get many of the features of a RIP in multi-image creation for output to maximize paper usage.  I have no problem with text or graphics looking terrific.

artyfact

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:19:47 pm »

Wayne and Laarie,

thank you both for your input. Off to get the Standard version.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

Artyfact
Pages: [1]   Go Up