Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 17" MacBookPro  (Read 8215 times)

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 17" MacBookPro
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:05:11 pm »

The glossy screens don't bother me on my laptop, (I actually prefer them), but I know many photographers don't like them.  Noticed Apple's new 17" MacBook Pro announced today has an option to order with a matte screen.

francois

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
The glossy screens don't bother me on my laptop, (I actually prefer them), but I know many photographers don't like them.  Noticed Apple's new 17" MacBook Pro announced today has an option to order with a matte screen.
I understand that this is not a matte screen but a anti-reflection film (available at additional cost).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:24:25 pm by francois »
Francois

jvora

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:47:06 pm »

Yes Francois :

I got a bit excited when I learnt about it, but upon further reading, its just a anti-glare film like you said.

Wonder how this compares to a "real" matte screen - Somehow I feel it's not going to be the same !

It's not just the reflection that is a problem, but the high contrast of these silly glossy screens - Judging detail/transitions in the highlights and shadow areas of an image will take a major beating. Even the type of color correction that was possible with the older laptop matte apple screens will now not be possible - What a shame  

I prefer Lenovo's approach as they have introed a 17 in laptop with a Wacom like track pad and dual screens - The 2nd screen can hold all the palettes, leaving the larger screen for the image / art work ! A product targeted towards photographers, videographers and graphic artists. Only that I would prefer to stick with the Mac OS !

Sad, very sad !

Jai

Quote from: francois
I understand that this is not a matte screen but a anti-reflection film (available at additional cost).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:56:42 pm by jvora »

jvora

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:26:25 pm »

Ok - There is some hope after all - Seems like there is a way to remove the glossy screen and replace it with a matte screen - This approach maybe better than a-fixing a anti-glare film on top of a glossy screen, but may not be the same as a regular matte screen !

The evidence is noted on the small thumbnail on Apple's site :
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html

Fingers crossed and that this trickles down to the 15" PBP !!

Jai

Quote from: jvora
Yes Francois :

I got a bit excited when I learnt about it, but upon further reading, its just a anti-glare film like you said.

Wonder how this compares to a "real" matte screen - Somehow I feel it's not going to be the same !

It's not just the reflection that is a problem, but the high contrast of these silly glossy screens - Judging detail/transitions in the highlights and shadow areas of an image will take a major beating. Even the type of color correction that was possible with the older laptop matte apple screens will now not be possible - What a shame  

I prefer Lenovo's approach as they have introed a 17 in laptop with a Wacom like track pad and dual screens - The 2nd screen can hold all the palettes, leaving the larger screen for the image / art work ! A product targeted towards photographers, videographers and graphic artists. Only that I would prefer to stick with the Mac OS !

Sad, very sad !

Jai

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:34:52 pm »

Quote from: jvora
Ok - There is some hope after all - Seems like there is a way to remove the glossy screen and replace it with a matte screen - This approach maybe better than a-fixing a anti-glare film on top of a glossy screen, but may not be the same as a regular matte screen !

The evidence is noted on the small thumbnail on Apple's site :
http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/features-17inch.html
But sadly they have an awful white bezel on the non-glossy display. Looks like it's a way to make it less usable so no-one will opt for it and they can drop itas no-one wanted it.
I do not want to see the frame of my monitor or TV, it's very distracting if not dark. And why graphics pros had dark monitors long before it became common place.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:01:23 pm »

well, apple uses the term anti-glare ... not anti-reflective.  I think it's more than just a film, and anti-glare is the term used for "matte" screen and glass.  As mentioned if you compare the images from the link, there is visibly less contrast and saturation when you view the anti-glare option.

Whether it will match the previous screens or not remains to be seen, and if it doesn't it still may satisfy those who prefer the matte screens.

rcannonp

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:04:47 pm »

Quote from: jjj
But sadly they have an awful white bezel on the non-glossy display. Looks like it's a way to make it less usable so no-one will opt for it and they can drop itas no-one wanted it.
I do not want to see the frame of my monitor or TV, it's very distracting if not dark. And why graphics pros had dark monitors long before it became common place.

It looks like aluminum, like the previous generations of Macbook Pros and Powerbooks.
Cannon Pearson: not like the camera

NBP

• http://
New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 03:43:05 am »

They've also sealed the battery in...

francois

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 03:51:19 am »

well, apple uses the term anti-glare ... not anti-reflective.  I think it's more than just a film, and anti-glare is the term used for "matte" screen and glass.  As mentioned if you compare the images from the link, there is visibly less contrast and saturation when you view the anti-glare option.

Whether it will match the previous screens or not remains to be seen, and if it doesn't it still may satisfy those who prefer the matte screens.
At the AppleStore they told me that it will take an extra 4 to 6 weeks to get the anti-glare option. They also mentionned that it's because they have to open the display (???) ti insert the film.

I'll wait until I can see both versions.
Francois

francois

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 03:53:35 am »

Quote from: NBP
They've also sealed the battery in...

Francois

NikosR

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 05:12:16 am »

I don't think there's any difference in the contrast and saturation in the site pictures. I think your eyes play tricks on you due to the difference in the frame colour. Mask out the frame and look again. I can't see any difference at all.

In any case one can't really expect to see any real difference in such kind of site pictures. Of course in reality I would expect some contrast and saturation loss (it is the nature of glossy vs. 'less glossy' as to make something less glossy some light scatering device must be used).

I think that this option should be offered to the 15.5 inch models also. In fact, I think that it is even more important to offer it in the smaller model as users of this will tend to be more mobile and/or tend to use them out in the open. Under controlled lighting conditions (e.g. in ones workplace or studio) the glossy screens are not bad at all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:14:00 am by NikosR »
Nikos

jjj

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 08:33:09 am »

Quote from: NikosR
I think that this option should be offered to the 15.5 inch models also. In fact, I think that it is even more important to offer it in the smaller model as users of this will tend to be more mobile and/or tend to use them out in the open. Under controlled lighting conditions (e.g. in ones workplace or studio) the glossy screens are not bad at all.
Only if you don't care about ergonomics at your desk! There's is an optimal position for using kit and if you have to angle lid or move laptop to another position to avoid glare, it won't necessarily be in the best position. I have a laptop that is no where near as glossy as the new Appple's and it drives me nuts, having to angle it or move it so lighting doesn't show up, also I cannot sit and face window as then I'm illuminated up and reflected in the screen. And god knows why it is meant to be better for watching films. I have to sit in certain places or turn off various lights in lounge to avoid awful reflective glare on the glossy TV screen.

Interesting that's it's called 'anti-glare', Apple could not call it 'matte' as that would show up the fact that they made a mistake in dropping the matte screen in first place. Lets hope Appple are not too proud to say they got it wrong and give the option to the smaller sizes and firewire. But I'm more likely to win Oscar for best Actress before Apple ever admit to a mistake.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:35:23 am by jjj »

NikosR

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 10:06:38 am »

Quote from: jjj
Only if you don't care about ergonomics at your desk!

What I had in mind when I was referring to controlled lighting conditions workplace or studio, was somewhere where the lighting was controlled (obviously...) and suitable for critical editing and colour work. The conditions you're describing are far from that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:08:12 am by NikosR »
Nikos

jjj

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 01:49:57 pm »

What I had in mind when I was referring to controlled lighting conditions workplace or studio, was somewhere where the lighting was controlled (obviously...) and suitable for critical editing and colour work. The conditions you're describing are far from that.
But are quite normal and far more likely for most people using laptops. You would be more likely to have a desktop + monitor in the situation you suggest as laptops are not good for critical colour work.
Besides, the problem with the glossy screens is that any lighting in room may mean you see youself in the screen.
I was sitting with no lighting behind me the other day but with a big window in front of me. And if looking at low key images or say the LL main website, I could clearly see myself in the screen unless I tilted it to a postion that was less than optimum.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:51:01 pm by jjj »

NikosR

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:45:29 am »

At the AppleStore they told me that it will take an extra 4 to 6 weeks to get the anti-glare option. They also mentionned that it's because they have to open the display (???) ti insert the film.

I'll wait until I can see both versions.

What I understand by listening to the keynote is that they do away with the front glass and put an alu bezel on the front. Hence the different frame colour. Don't know if they change the actual screen, use the existing screen or use the existing screen with an anti-glare film on top.

So you sacrifice some of the good looks (full glass surface) for some functionality (hopefully). A would have thought that a replacement of the glass with a treated one might offer the best of both worlds but what do I know.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 10:08:09 am by NikosR »
Nikos

francois

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 11:10:37 am »

What I understand by listening to the keynote is that they do away with the front glass and put an alu bezel on the front. Hence the different frame colour. Don't know if they change the actual screen, use the existing screen or use the existing screen with an anti-glare film on top.

So you sacrifice some of the good looks (full glass surface) for some functionality (hopefully). A would have thought that a replacement of the glass with a treated one might offer the best of both worlds but what do I know.
I haven't found the time to watch the keynote and they're are quite evasive at the Apple Store about the anti-glare option. I'll visit the local AppleStore when the new 17" is availalble.
Francois

jvora

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 12:32:32 pm »

Hello NikosR :

Your observations seem correct for the new 17in MBP, but for folks who want a matte screen for their 15in unibodies, Techrestore provides a similar service - Head to this link for additional info :

http://www.techrestore.com/xcart/product.p...=273&page=1

Although the service is expensive, at least there is an option for the 15in MBP in the event that Apple only offers the anti gare option for the 17in !

Jai

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:34:53 pm by jvora »

jani

• Øyet
New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 03:07:30 pm »

Right but it's supposed to survive for about 1000 recharge cycles.
Make it so!
Jan

francois

New 17" MacBookPro
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 04:31:22 am »

Quote from: jani
Make it so!
Probably will survive 300 "real" cycles but the good news is that if you live near an Apple Store, the battery can be changed in store.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up