Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod/pano head recs needed  (Read 2104 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Tripod/pano head recs needed
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:06:58 am »

I would appreciate input on tripods and pano heads. I want a relatively light setup for a DSLR with at max a 300 or 400mm lens and the ability to get the camera near the ground. I prefer levers over thumb-screws for leg extension.

Thanks,

Peter

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:09:23 pm »

A 400mm f/2.8 lens, or a 400/5.6? That'll make a difference. For the latter, even the lightweight and (relatively) inexpensive Bogen/Manfrotto 190CX or 190CX Pro will do. For the really big lenses, the beefer Gitzo and Induro tripods are better suited. I have a Gitzo 3530LS for my heavy stuff, and the aforementioned 190CX for small stuff. Both work well.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

stever

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:43:45 pm »

i recently purchased a Feisol ct-3441s after comparing weight and features of carbon fiber tripods (there is an optional short column that's reasonably priced).  the exchange rate has made the ever-expensive Gitzo even mor so.

partly by chance i'm using a and "alternative" head made up of the RRS panning base with the RRS monopod head on top.  it's sort of in-between a ball head and gimbal head and works well for lenses up to the Canon 400DO (might work for the 300 2.8) - not perfectly balanced for vertical panning, but doesn't flop over like a ball head.  if you want the base level, you have to use the level in the panning base and adjust the legs (not all that difficult with a bit of practice and probably easier than getting level with a ball head if you don't have a panning base on top of it), then use a hot shoe level for vertical.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:19:40 pm »

The Really Right Stuff Pano head is excellent. I have been using it for a couple of years and it is very flexible and sturdy.  You don't say if your 300 or 400mm lens is a pro lens.  This is important because the consumer grade ones are much lighter and may anable you to use something like the much cheaper and lighter Nodal Ninja.  I have the nodal ninja and like it, but it won't hold my 100-400 f/4.5-566 L.  It is actually at its limit with my 24-70 f/2.8 L.  

Spend some time at Reallyrightstuff.com.  They have good articles and explanations of their equipment.  I have recently found that my panning clamps also make for a half-decent gimble-like setup for photographing birds and wildlife with a long lens.  

You don't say much about your preferences regarding tripod legs.  Is this tripod for travel or long-distance hiking or will it mostly be carried from a car?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 02:49:57 pm »

Quote from: fike
The Really Right Stuff Pano head is excellent. I have been using it for a couple of years and it is very flexible and sturdy.  You don't say if your 300 or 400mm lens is a pro lens.  This is important because the consumer grade ones are much lighter and may anable you to use something like the much cheaper and lighter Nodal Ninja.  I have the nodal ninja and like it, but it won't hold my 100-400 f/4.5-566 L.  It is actually at its limit with my 24-70 f/2.8 L.  

Spend some time at Reallyrightstuff.com.  They have good articles and explanations of their equipment.  I have recently found that my panning clamps also make for a half-decent gimble-like setup for photographing birds and wildlife with a long lens.  

You don't say much about your preferences regarding tripod legs.  Is this tripod for travel or long-distance hiking or will it mostly be carried from a car?

After much research I have decided on an Acratech V2 ballhead and a Hakuba 504MX. The latter is reported to be a high-quality Gitzo knockoff, and is quite a bit cheaper. I'll report on my experiences soon.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up