Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any feedback on Epson 7900/9900?  (Read 7586 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Any feedback on Epson 7900/9900?
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:19 am »

Dear all,

I guess that quite many of you have started to use the new Epson 7900/9900, yet there are very few posts on these 2 printers.

Anything special on the plus or minus side I should be aware of before ordering one?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

mrkahn

• http://www.malcolmkahn.com
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:13:03 pm »

I've had my 9900 for about 3 weeks and it's nothing short of spectacular.  The tonal qualities and smooth color transtions are remarkable.  Lots of other neat features like printing a bar code on the roll paper before you remove it so the machine can keep count when it's placed back in the printer.  With regard to clogging, I'm not really sure as yet.  The printer shoots a very small amount of ink at an electronic target to check for nozzel clogging before printing every sheet.  It has cleaned itself a couple of times, but very briefly and I think only those channels that were clogged.  The printer is also very well built.  My only complaint is the lack of profiles from paper manufacturers.  Other than Epson, there's nothing as yet.  Hopefully this will change soon.

Regards,

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:28 pm »

I've had my 7900 about 5 weeks now.  It's not my primary printer (the 11880 is still at my main location), so I haven't used it extensively, but my experience is pretty much identical to Malcolm.

I would add that after 14 months of being completely delighted with my 11880 including all nozzle issues as well as output quality, it appears the 7900 incorporates all of those changes along with a great build quality, a nicely improved roll paper system (Yeah ... no more long spindle!), and much larger gamuts.  Although a lot of the increased gamut is perhaps outside of the range of typical photographs, I get the sense from early prints that it still has a larger useable gamut than even the 11880.

The only challenge will be the sticker shock when you buy that first set of replacement inks.

I will be interested to see how much orange and green ink is consumed in printing landscape and portraits on the printer.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 11:11:49 pm »

Malcolm and Wayne,

Thanks a lot for your informative answers.

Cheers,
Bernard

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 06:22:31 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Malcolm and Wayne,

Thanks a lot for your informative answers.

Cheers,
Bernard

I have the 7900 and am delighted as well. Started a canvas gallery wrap business and am printing mostly on canvas. I now wish I had purchased the 9900 as the largest wrap I can do on the short side is 20" (4" lost due to wrapping.) 20" is not very large at all so if we have the requests for larger wraps we just may have to get a 9900 as well. I am through half of my starter inks and have ordered the 700 ml to replace them. I hope to be using this printer quite a bit and need to get the cost per ml as low as I can. You may have to strike your own deal but I got the 700ml for $215.00 each which is a fantastic price. (31 cents per ml.) At Allens Camera near Philadelphia. For comparison I was paying $52.00 per color on my 3800 and that came to 65 cents per ml.
FYI- I printed the exact same file on my 3800 and then again on the 7900 and the difference is quite dramatic, mostly the blacks.
Dan Berg

hjscm

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:06:27 am »

Quote from: Dan Berg
I have the 7900 and am delighted as well. Started a canvas gallery wrap business and am printing mostly on canvas. I now wish I had purchased the 9900 as the largest wrap I can do on the short side is 20" (4" lost due to wrapping.) 20" is not very large at all so if we have the requests for larger wraps we just may have to get a 9900 as well. I am through half of my starter inks and have ordered the 700 ml to replace them. I hope to be using this printer quite a bit and need to get the cost per ml as low as I can. You may have to strike your own deal but I got the 700ml for $215.00 each which is a fantastic price. (31 cents per ml.) At Allens Camera near Philadelphia. For comparison I was paying $52.00 per color on my 3800 and that came to 65 cents per ml.
FYI- I printed the exact same file on my 3800 and then again on the 7900 and the difference is quite dramatic, mostly the blacks.
Dan Berg

I can say the same thing That Dan said.  I love mine.  would like to print bigger but this is a hobby for me and my wife would kill me if i got the 9900.  Not enough room in the office at the house.  All in All it is a great machine.  came form a 4880 and i love the prints.

Chris

jpgentry

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:20 pm »

Likely the profile not the printer...

Dan Berg

thierryd

• http://www.dehesdin.eu
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 03:00:58 am »

Quote from: mrkahn
The printer shoots a very small amount of ink at an electronic target to check for nozzel clogging before printing every sheet.  It has cleaned itself a couple of times, but very briefly and I think only those channels that were clogged.
and JimGoshorn http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29823
I downloaded the user manual and it seems to indicate that letting the printer do an auto cleaning means it will use all the inks in the process just like the earlier models vs. a manual cleaning which allows you to just use two inks at a time. Was hoping that the auto cleaning function would work by the channel but it doesn't look that way

So what with the nozzel clogging trouble ? I remember my EPSON 4000 as a nightmare and I probably spend more ink cleaning nozzel than on print. I know it's now a very old printer, but is this Epson disease really gone with the 7900/9900 ?

dgberg

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »

Quote from: jpgentry
Likely the profile not the printer...
Not sure I understand. Both papers were the same. The 3800 used its profile for that paper. The 7900 used its paper profile for the same paper.
So I still think it is the printer as the 2 proper profiles were used.
Dan Berg

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 08:44:39 pm »

Not sure I understand. Both papers were the same. The 3800 used its profile for that paper. The 7900 used its paper profile for the same paper.
So I still think it is the printer as the 2 proper profiles were used.
Dan Berg

Dan,
The profiles are not created equal and it is possible that the 3800 could be made to look much closer to the 7900 using a custom profile rather than by using the current profile. That said the 7900 does have a larger gamut, and I've been especially impressed with the black density.
To the original poster, I'll post the link to the review I did of the x900, you may find it answers some of your questions. I'm going to be updating it in the coming month with some added feedback, but my impressions remain the same.

http://www.spectraflow.com/product-reviews.html
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 12:22:31 am »

I'll be unpacking my 9900 tomorrow. And yes, I'll have help. It's been sitting there in its coffin sized packing for a week till there was time to actually unpack it. For me, not having to swap the inks is the feature I'm most looking forward to.

I've had a 9800 for the last three years and the only problem I had was to have the little wiper blade replaced. Very few clogs, especially after I learned how to wipe the drop off the bottom of the wiper.

The Spectrolino will be seeing a lot of work in the next week or so. I've found that the custom profiles I make with that and ProfileMaker are always better than anything that comes from Epson.

alan a

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:03:03 am »

Quote from: pfigen
I've had a 9800 for the last three years and the only problem I had was to have the little wiper blade replaced. Very few clogs, especially after I learned how to wipe the drop off the bottom of the wiper.
What exactly is the wiper?  What does it look like?  Is that part user accessible in the 7900?  

And what about the comment, in one of the threads, about using a few drops of windex on the area where the heads are parked?  Anyone else tried that?

pfigen

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 03:30:10 am »

There's a small vertical wiper blade - very much like a windshield wiper - just to the right of where the print head assembly is parked. You open the main door and slide the print head assembly over to the left. Shine a flashlight in there and you'll see the blade, about an inch and a half long. Usually there's a drop, sometimes a big drop of ink about to drop off the end of it. This can be from too many cleanings and can cause what appear to be clogged nozzles in a nozzle check to jump around after each cleaning. You think it needs cleaning but really it doesn't. It just needs wiping.

Anyhow, I won't know until tomorrow when I unpack the new printer just what it looks like inside.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 11:47:57 pm »

Quote from: alan a
And what about the comment, in one of the threads, about using a few drops of windex on the area where the heads are parked?  Anyone else tried that?

Don't think I'd even consider this with new Epson printers.

Since my AID board was replaced the printer has only triggered one cleaning from the Auto Nozzle Check.   Still too soon to say it is "fixed" but it appears it might be.

pfigen

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 02:54:45 am »

We set up the 9900 Friday morning. It took about 2-1/2 hours to get it unpacked and charged up. Definitely heavier and even though Epson recommends four people to lift it on the stand, we did it with two and one to guide the stand.

For those who have used older large format Epsons, there are some new things to get used to. Paper loading is completely different and not at all intuitive. You really do have to read the manual, and even doing that I still needed a call to Epson to get it sorted out. I was told that the printer shipped with the smallest 150ml size carts, but that's wrong. It's 110 ml carts to start, and the Light Black was lowest after charging. The LCD panel is full color now and has more functionality including controlling paper loading and removal. Paper spindles are gone too, replaced by a plastic quick release spool end that locks into teeth on a plastic track at any width necessary. The jury is still out for me on whether I like the old or the new better.

The biggest surprise was that there is still a procedure required to switch from Photo to Matte black and back. Apparently those two black inks still share a common print head but the switching mechanism is at the head itself, making the ink loss minimal - 1.2 ml in one direction and 3.4 ml going the other way. According to and Epson tech support the variance there is because a slight contamination can be tolerated on one direction but not the other. The switch takes 2-3 minutes which is much better than the 15 or so before. But this all begs the question - if they are redesigning from the ground up, why not just go all the way and design a print head with room for eleven separate colors.

I've spent a couple of days profiling papers and making test prints. The prints are quite remarkable - better overall than the 9800. Sharper, more colorful and much faster than the 9800 series. I spent a fair amount of time making spot reading with my Spectrolino, paying close attention to how black the blacks were, and the answer is that they are noticeably darker, with Crane Museo Silver Rag going all the down to L 4.9 printing under Advanced B&W.

I took one image - a particularly detailed image from a 1DsMKIII and Zeiss 21mm and printed it 24inches across. Not the largest size I've printed that image, but I was looking for very subtle differences. I printed the same image at 1440, high and low speed, 2880, single pass low speed, and just for kicks, 720 high speed double pass. Even when looking at the prints with a Schneider 4X loupe, there was virtually no difference in tonality, gradation in the sky or actual detail. To the naked eye (with reading glasses) the 720 hi-speed maybe showed the very slightest degree of increased granularity in in focus areas. Out of focus area appeared virtually identical. The color and density of all three print resolutions was so close that it would be hard to see any difference between them, and all using the custom made 1440 dpi profile.

That's it for now, but things are looking good so far, and it's very quiet.

I've also been told that the large 700ml carts are not yet available.

Peter

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 03:02:08 am »

Thanks for the feedback Peter and all, it is much appreciated!

Cheers,
Bernard

dgberg

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 07:02:01 am »

We set up the 9900 Friday morning. It took about 2-1/2 hours to get it unpacked and charged up. Definitely heavier and even though Epson recommends four people to lift it on the stand, we did it with two and one to guide the stand.

For those who have used older large format Epsons, there are some new things to get used to. Paper loading is completely different and not at all intuitive. You really do have to read the manual, and even doing that I still needed a call to Epson to get it sorted out. I was told that the printer shipped with the smallest 150ml size carts, but that's wrong. It's 110 ml carts to start, and the Light Black was lowest after charging. The LCD panel is full color now and has more functionality including controlling paper loading and removal. Paper spindles are gone too, replaced by a plastic quick release spool end that locks into teeth on a plastic track at any width necessary. The jury is still out for me on whether I like the old or the new better.

The biggest surprise was that there is still a procedure required to switch from Photo to Matte black and back. Apparently those two black inks still share a common print head but the switching mechanism is at the head itself, making the ink loss minimal - 1.2 ml in one direction and 3.4 ml going the other way. According to and Epson tech support the variance there is because a slight contamination can be tolerated on one direction but not the other. The switch takes 2-3 minutes which is much better than the 15 or so before. But this all begs the question - if they are redesigning from the ground up, why not just go all the way and design a print head with room for eleven separate colors.

I've spent a couple of days profiling papers and making test prints. The prints are quite remarkable - better overall than the 9800. Sharper, more colorful and much faster than the 9800 series. I spent a fair amount of time making spot reading with my Spectrolino, paying close attention to how black the blacks were, and the answer is that they are noticeably darker, with Crane Museo Silver Rag going all the down to L 4.9 printing under Advanced B&W.

I took one image - a particularly detailed image from a 1DsMKIII and Zeiss 21mm and printed it 24inches across. Not the largest size I've printed that image, but I was looking for very subtle differences. I printed the same image at 1440, high and low speed, 2880, single pass low speed, and just for kicks, 720 high speed double pass. Even when looking at the prints with a Schneider 4X loupe, there was virtually no difference in tonality, gradation in the sky or actual detail. To the naked eye (with reading glasses) the 720 hi-speed maybe showed the very slightest degree of increased granularity in in focus areas. Out of focus area appeared virtually identical. The color and density of all three print resolutions was so close that it would be hard to see any difference between them, and all using the custom made 1440 dpi profile.

I've also been told that the large 700ml carts are not yet available.

Peter

Peter
700ml are available. They probably do not have any in stock. I ordered and received my 700ml carts from Allans Camera near Philly. Best price around. $215.00 apiece.
Dan Berg

pfigen

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:14:32 am »

That's great to know. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up