Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you use for cutting media?  (Read 8432 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
What do you use for cutting media?
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:35:06 am »

I'm going to be cutting mat board, backing, paper and glass. I've been looking into the different cutting devices. I curious about what you use for these tasks? What do you like or dislike about the tools you use?

Any feedback appreciated!

TIA

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:30 am »

Anyone?

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:25:32 am »

Quote from: Justan
I'm going to be cutting mat board, backing, paper and glass. I've been looking into the different cutting devices. I curious about what you use for these tasks? What do you like or dislike about the tools you use?

TIA

Fletcher-Terry vertical cutter for glass, plexi, sintra, board

Javelin by keenkut for straight cuts on panel graphics, mounted prints, etc.

Straight-edge and knife with cutting matte for oversized graphics, vinyls, etc.

Table saw, band saw, jig saw and skill saw for occasional jobs.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:04:22 pm »

I use this thing
http://www.framingsupplies.com/Onyx90/Onyx...MediaCutter.htm
which is okay. I was considering the Fletcher but got this since it was almost half the price. I haven't really used it for any frame backings or glass yet, so I don't know how straight the corners are, but it feels solid.

jasonrandolph

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:10:31 pm »

TIA

I order my mats and backing board specific to the frame size I want, then cut the mats with a Logan mat cutter (about $100 from B&H, cheaper than Light Impressions).  The cutter does a great job for the amount of money I spent.  The only thing is that you need to pay attention to what you're doing so you don't over/under-cut the window.  Other than that, it's very easy to use.

As for glass, I can't offer any advice, since I either bag my matted prints or order my acrylic and frames together.  I hope this helps.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 02:06:56 pm »

Thanks everyone!

> I use this thing http://www.framingsupplies.com/Onyx90/Onyx...diaCutter.htm...

Interesting. I was considering same product from the same vendor! Fletcher-Terry appears to make the highest quality of those I've found. They are a classic case of getting what one pays for one set of materials. Is there much functional difference between the F-T media cutter and the Onyx referenced above?

Similar question for mat cutters. I'm going to get a 60” one. Is there a notable quality difference between the F-T and Logan brand?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 02:25:19 am »

This is a really dumb question and will show my rooky stripes. But….is there any reason you can’t use a mat cutter as a paper cutter?

I've been looking at paper cutters and the bigger ones are pricy. Primarily I'm going to be trimming photos after they’ve been sliced off by the printer. I'm getting a Logan model 660 mat cutter and it seems like it would be fine for cutting paper.

What am I missing?

Avalan

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:23:43 am »

Justan

No question is dumb. Not questioning is.

It all depends on how many cuts you may have on a regular basis. The trimmers will do an easy, clean and fast cut but as you have mentioned they are pricy, especially the quality trimmers.

If you don’t have lots of trimmings to justify buying a trimmer, your matte cutter might be ok. You will need to get an additional Logan straight cutter as well. Also you need to be very careful not scratching your prints while trimming. Using a steel ruler and a sharp knife might be even a simpler approach. But none of these will be as easy and nice compare to using a good trimmer.

Avalan

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 04:01:15 am »

I've been looking at paper cutters and the bigger ones are pricy. Primarily I'm going to be trimming photos after they’ve been sliced off by the printer. I'm getting a Logan model 660 mat cutter and it seems like it
I use a Logan 660 for cutting mattes and 3/16" foam core up to 60" in length.  Works great as just a cutter, also does a nice job of cutting beveled matte openings.   Wouldn't use it for glass or acrylic.

On the downside, you pretty much need to work with pencil marks on the back of the matte when cutting bevels to avoid over or under cuts.  And the cutting guide sags slightly when you pick it up, makes lining up the media a little annoying since the media will want to pivot on the center of the sag.  Other than that it makes great bevels on both 6 and 8 ply matboard.  Of course you need some practice.  The long, ruled 90 degree cutting guide is way too easy to bend, replace it with the shorty guide that comes with the unit, and work with pencil marks in order to get accurate corner angles.   BTW there is a cheaper model just down from the 660, don't bother with it as it can't make a straight cut to save its life.

Should also be mentioned that a nice, 2" wide, stainless steel Alvin straight edge is all you need to cut media and foam core with a #11 Xacto blade, just use scrap matte board trims as a backing.  On matboard take a shallow guide cut then 2 or 3 more heavier cuts.  On foam core, just take one heavy cut all the way through to avoid generating annoying foam shards from multiple cuts.  This is how I always cut prints, too much risk of kinking or scraping thin, unmounted prints with just about any matte cutter.  I have a few different sizes from 15" up to 72" hanging up on the wall.  If you want get a self-healing cutting matte, but I think the max size is about 42".

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 03:43:45 pm »

I have the Fletcher 3000     definately can get squared cuts

But if you don't do that much  why not go to your nearest  Frame Shop (that probably owns one) and ask how much they would charge to do the rough cuts for you?
Also Hobby Lobby usually has matting and framing sections
This might be more cost effective than buying all the equipment yourself

I did this initially, including buything the arylic OP99 flexiglass wholesale and paying to have it cut down to sizes by a local glass company.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 11:47:56 am »

> On the downside, you pretty much need to work with pencil marks on the back of the matte when cutting bevels to avoid over or under cuts. And the cutting guide sags slightly when you pick it up, makes lining up the media a little annoying since the media will want to pivot on the center of the sag. Other than that it makes great bevels on both 6 and 8 ply matboard. Of course you need some practice. The long, ruled 90 degree cutting guide is way too easy to bend, replace it with the shorty guide that comes with the unit, and work with pencil marks in order to get accurate corner angles. BTW there is a cheaper model just down from the 660, don't bother with it as it can't make a straight cut to save its life.

Thanks! Do you think the Logan 660 is suitable then? I've been looking at the F-T version of a 60” cutter. Is the F-T a smarter choice were I looking to use a mat cutter as a paper trimmer? Or is the design not ideal for cutting paper?

> Should also be mentioned that a nice, 2" wide, stainless steel Alvin straight edge is all you need to cut media and foam core with a #11 Xacto blade, just use scrap matte board trims as a backing. On matboard take a shallow guide cut then 2 or 3 more heavier cuts. On foam core, just take one heavy cut all the way through to avoid generating annoying foam shards from multiple cuts. This is how I always cut prints, too much risk of kinking or scraping thin, unmounted prints with just about any matte cutter. I have a few different

This is great feedback. This topic is 100% new to me. Your last sentence makes a case for getting a suitable paper cutter. I'm not good working freehand. I’ll get better in time but don’t want to sacrifice the first potentially several hundred cuts in the name of buying and using the wrong tools for the task.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 11:58:45 am »

   I have the Fletcher 3000 definately can get squared cuts

Is that the wall mounted media cutter? I've been debating that vs the Onyx 90. Any comments?

> But if you don't do that much why not go to your nearest Frame Shop (that probably owns one) and ask how much they would charge to do the rough cuts for you?

I don’t know what others may consider a lot of cutting to be. My first two production runs are going to be at least 120 mats each. If there is any success the number will grow substantially. Plus, I’d rather learn to do the work myself, both for the skill acquisition, the convenience, and not the least to save $$.

> Also Hobby Lobby usually has matting and framing sections
This might be more cost effective than buying all the equipment yourself

Thanks. I've not heard of Hobby Lobby. I’ll check them out.

> I did this initially, including buything the arylic OP99 flexiglass wholesale and paying to have it cut down to sizes by a local glass company.

At what point did you decided to get a premium tool for the task?

Pages: [1]   Go Up