Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offsite-Online Storage  (Read 3331 times)

Chipper

• http://www.royalflamingoworks.com
Offsite-Online Storage
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:08:56 pm »

OK.
 I know google, Picasa, and smugsmug all offer this service.

Can anyone offer me advice on these (or any other) that would help me decide?

Thanks!

Chipper

DarkPenguin

Offsite-Online Storage
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:34:30 pm »

What are you looking for exactly?

I use Mozy Home.  $5 a month for all you can drink.  But it is a pure backup thing.  It isn't a gallery thing.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Offsite-Online Storage
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:24 am »

I had a look at Mozy, but it's a bit more pricy if you are a business. So how do they prevent businesses signing up as an individual?
Also a keen amateur photographer/filmmaker/musician, may well generate far more data than many offices.
Mind you for me it's the slow upload speed of my 'superfast' broadband that is a serious bottle neck for online solutions.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:45:55 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

DarkPenguin

Offsite-Online Storage
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:32 am »

Quote from: jjj
I had a look at Mozy, but it's a bit more pricy if you are a business. So how do they prevent businesses signing up as an individual?
Also a keen amateur photographer/filmmaker/musician, may well generate far more data than many offices.
Mind you for me it's the slow upload speed of my 'superfast' broadband that is a serious bottle neck for online solutions.

I should have mentioned that.  The initial upload is brutal.  And if I generated more images I would have to get a higher speed connection to keep up with that.

My understanding is that the bidnez version is faster.  I'm not sure I have more upload speed available to me on my line, however.

I've been asking for a way to generate file lists for upload.  I like to keep more than I really need to backup but unless I have something physically copy select files to a new location and have Mozy backup that location I can't achieve my ends.  I'd like to have something wiffle through the data and look for anything over xx and generate a list that I could feed to Mozy.  I'm having a hard time translating that request into hindi.

Edit:  I also worry about having so many files in DNG.  I'm a little tempted to change my settings so that changes are not automatically written to files so that the DNG files are not changing.  The upshot of the CR2/XMP file pair is that the XMP files are much smaller and are easier to backup.

The nice thing about mozy is that at about $60 a year it is cheaper than a USB drive and is already at a remote location.  I could keep the USB drive at work but then I'd be constantly moving it from my warm and (relatively) humid house to my car which might be as cold as -10F (or so) and back.  I can't see that being good for longevity.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:47:20 am by DarkPenguin »

Chipper

• http://www.royalflamingoworks.com
Offsite-Online Storage
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 09:09:14 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I should have mentioned that.  The initial upload is brutal.  And if I generated more images I would have to get a higher speed connection to keep up with that.

My understanding is that the bidnez version is faster.  I'm not sure I have more upload speed available to me on my line, however.

I've been asking for a way to generate file lists for upload.  I like to keep more than I really need to backup but unless I have something physically copy select files to a new location and have Mozy backup that location I can't achieve my ends.  I'd like to have something wiffle through the data and look for anything over xx and generate a list that I could feed to Mozy.  I'm having a hard time translating that request into hindi.

Edit:  I also worry about having so many files in DNG.  I'm a little tempted to change my settings so that changes are not automatically written to files so that the DNG files are not changing.  The upshot of the CR2/XMP file pair is that the XMP files are much smaller and are easier to backup.

The nice thing about mozy is that at about $60 a year it is cheaper than a USB drive and is already at a remote location.  I could keep the USB drive at work but then I'd be constantly moving it from my warm and (relatively) humid house to my car which might be as cold as -10F (or so) and back.  I can't see that being good for longevity.

I'm considering smugmug, carbonite, and this is the first I've heard of mozy home.  Are you familiar with smugmug or carbonite?
Thanks.

nchopp

Offsite-Online Storage
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 09:12:27 pm »

Quote from: Chipper
I'm considering smugmug, carbonite, and this is the first I've heard of mozy home.  Are you familiar with smugmug or carbonite?
Thanks.

I've been using Carbonite for a few months now. The initial upload is pretty brutal - I think I'm at about 50gb out of 300gb I've set to backup. However, this is my third form of backup (external hard-drive on-site, DVD copies off-site). However, right now I'm on DirectTV satellite Internet, and our line speed is not exactly amazing, to say the least.

Hard to beat the price if you've got a lot of data.

DarkPenguin

Offsite-Online Storage
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:32:45 pm »

Quote from: Chipper
Thanks.

Not really.
Pages: [1]   Go Up