Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunglasses and Cameras  (Read 5212 times)

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Sunglasses and Cameras
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:04:09 pm »

I like to wear sunglasses when I am out in the snow or hiking.  I particularly like polarized sunglasses because of how they reduce glare and allow you to see into water.  They are also great for driving.

Polarized sunglasses are terrible for photography.  All the anti-reflective coatings on all the LCDs make displays very hard or impossible to read when you are wearing polarized sunglasses.  

I am considering RX sunglasses with interchangeable lenses to deal with the problem.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for dealing with this problem?
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:52:15 pm »

I may have answered my own question.  these look like they might just fit the bill.

Outside Online Article
Zyon Polarized Sailing Sunglasses

but then again, they may just be a compromise that has crummy polarization and crummy LCD visibility.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:32:25 pm »

My solution is low-tech but simple - a neckstrap/cord. I just remove the glassses when shooting, I wouldn't want them on when looking through the viewfinder anyway. I like polarized glasses not only for the reasons you mentioned, but also because it just take a quick turn of the head to tell if I should get out my polarizing filter or not.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 03:33:10 pm by JeffKohn »
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

stever

Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:06:16 pm »

i used to have a pair of glasses with magnetic clip-ons specifically designed for the glasses.  i got light-sensitive lenses in the glasses and polarized clip ons since light sensitive glass doesn't work in a car

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:53:22 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
My solution is low-tech but simple - a neckstrap/cord. I just remove the glassses when shooting, I wouldn't want them on when looking through the viewfinder anyway. I like polarized glasses not only for the reasons you mentioned, but also because it just take a quick turn of the head to tell if I should get out my polarizing filter or not.

That would be nice, but I wear prescription glasses.  So, when I take off one pair of glasses, I need to fish around for the other to stick on my face before I can easily take photos.  

another problem I have is that in really bright conditions, like snow, taking sunglasses off or going without sunglasses can be really hard on the eyes...particularly when transitioning from shades to sun.

marcmccalmont

Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:56:24 am »

Pilots are not allowed to wear polarized lenses because of the interference pattern with the laminated glass in the cockpit. This also applies to car windows sometimes. So I have always bought non polarized sunglasses and have not had a significant problem with glare etc. My eye doctor gave me the following recommendation years ago and it has worked for me. Buy a high quality lens, Hoya, Dow Corning, Zeiss etc. 80% tint for everyday use, more if needed on the beach/snow etc. Neutral grey for driving (or photography) so colors are not affected, Brown for pilots to cut the haze against a blue sky and light yellow to increase contrast at night or when skiing on overcast days. Hope it helps
Marc
Marc McCalmont

jklotz

• http://www.jamesklotz.com
Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 11:45:41 pm »

I feel your pain. I recently got a Panasonic G1 to play with. Try looking through that electronic view finder with a pair of polarized sun glasses on! Might as well shoot blindfolded. What really stinks is my gf just gave me a beautiful pair of ray ban polarized sun glasses for x-mas. So I just sprung for another pair on ebay without polarized lenses. I'm hoping she won't know the difference....

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:22:53 am »

High-Quality Flip-up sunglasses

These also look pretty useful.  The sunglasses flip-up and are removable to expose normal clear lenses beneath.

Hank

Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:28:42 am »

Flip-ups here, too.  No sweat, no hassles, not an issue.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:29 pm »

Quote from: Hank
Flip-ups here, too.  No sweat, no hassles, not an issue.

Do you ever have trouble getting your eye down to the viewfinder without bonking your flipped-up sunglasses into the camera?

Hank

Sunglasses and Cameras
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 02:13:21 am »

Only if I'm wearing a cap and its' squished down pretty far on my head, so the flip ups hit it.  I usually turn the cap around backwards for vertical shots, so that's not an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up