Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R-wrapping partially used rolls of paper  (Read 2496 times)

adpix

R-wrapping partially used rolls of paper
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:58:13 pm »

I'm new to large format printing and I'm facing a problem that is minor, but frustrating.  That is,  how to secure a role of paper after removing it from the spindle.  It's easy to just tape it, but that potentially leaves adhesive on the printable surface.

So what do the pro's do?

Thanks,

Bill Jackson
Motown

framah

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 02:43:19 pm »

I just put it back in the bag and the box it came in.

DEFINITELY no tape!!

In fact, you should be handling the rolls with cotton gloves so you don't leave any oils from your skin.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 03:33:12 pm »

Quote from: adpix
I'm new to large format printing and I'm facing a problem that is minor, but frustrating.  That is,  how to secure a role of paper after removing it from the spindle.  It's easy to just tape it, but that potentially leaves adhesive on the printable surface.

So what do the pro's do?

Thanks,

Bill Jackson
Motown

Save all the trims from your prints and cut them into approx 2"x24" strips. Start one end of a strip under the edge of a roll and wrap it around over itself and tape the end of the strip to another part of the strip using a releasable tape such as blue painter's masking tape. When I load a roll, I stick the strip to the front of the machine and write down the starting length of the roll and the subsequent deductions for prints made. You'll always know how much is left on the roll. I prefer to use canvas scraps for these strips.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:28:53 pm »

Quote from: dct123
Save all the trims from your prints and cut them into approx 2"x24" strips. Start one end of a strip under the edge of a roll and wrap it around over itself and tape the end of the strip to another part of the strip ...

My method as well.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:41:01 pm »

Quote from: framah
In fact, you should be handling the rolls with cotton gloves so you don't leave any oils from your skin.

I remember reading something about this. Do you know if exam gloves work as well as cotton?

adpix

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:59:45 pm »

Thanks for the good advice, guys. I'll cut and use paper strips to hold the partially used roles.

Bill Jackson

sesshin

• http://
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 05:58:51 pm »

If possible, I just lightly cut the tape on the paper that comes with the roll in the first place, save that, and then re-use it again with a new piece of tape when I take the roll off the spindle. Some paper manufacturers don't give you a re-usable piece of paper and in this case I cut a sheet of glassine about 24" by a few inches less than the width of the roll and use that. Then I stick it back in the plastic bag it came in (if applicable) and then back in it's box marked with feet remaining, and then on a shelf where everything is organized by paper type.
Pages: [1]   Go Up