Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One Capture One 4.6 Released!  (Read 27785 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Phase One Capture One 4.6 Released!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:14 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
I know this is a very particular market (South Beach Fashion using On Location Tethering Facilitated by a Digital Tech) but it's a market which has no Nikon presence at all.

Another way to work with a D3/D3x would be to connect the body to an HD TV using the HDMI output.

The thetering capability is of course welcome and offers some more options, but is it really the best option for live display of results during a shoot?

Cheers,
Bernard

bcooter

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 01:28:04 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Another way to work with a D3/D3x would be to connect the body to an HD TV using the HDMI output.

The thetering capability is of course welcome and offers some more options, but is it really the best option for live display of results during a shoot?

Cheers,
Bernard

The problem with running a hd tv is you can't rename, calibration is difficult or somewhat a guess and of course to play the images back you need to use the camera.

But tethering a Nikon is not C-1 dependent.

You can tether a Nikon through Nikon Capture or Bibble.

Both work, bibble is actually good software.

http://bibblelabs.com/

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 03:31:02 am »

Hi, anybody tried a D2x(s), D2H or D90? Do these work too?

Tom-

happyman

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:44 pm »

D3x did not work tethered. D3 connects but the capture button won´t work - it is a simple connection to C1, you have to release the shutter from the camera.

But the quality of C1 is outstanding. D3x files at 100 - 400 Iso are extremly good. For my taste this is the best raw converter for this camera at the moment.

Raw developer, RPP and NX2 are good too but C1 rocks. Hope they will add thethering of the D3x soon - with more controls from within C1.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 09:44:41 am »

Quote from: happyman
But the quality of C1 is outstanding. D3x files at 100 - 400 Iso are extremly good. For my taste this is the best raw converter for this camera at the moment.

Raw developer, RPP and NX2 are good too but C1 rocks. Hope they will add thethering of the D3x soon - with more controls from within C1.

Same things here, very good colors, DR and detail.

Cheers,
Bernard

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 10:46:13 am »

I used 4.6 for a tethered shoot with the 1Ds III yesterday.

Upon reaching the buffer (around 10-12 images) the camera would display "BUSY" and would not shoot until C1 had downloaded the images. C1 would download the first few images quickly, then would slow down dramatically for the last few. It also crashed a few times.

Anyone else had a similar experience? Any ideas on how to correct this?

P.S. I do have 10.5.6 installed...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:50:06 pm by G_Allen »

Cfranson

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 04:48:41 pm »

Do you have Mac OS 10.5.6 installed? That has USB driver performance improvements included.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 05:25:26 pm »

Quote from: Cfranson
Do you have Mac OS 10.5.6 installed? That has USB driver performance improvements included.

I've spoken to several digital techs who have said the 10.5.6 update which drastically improved tethered USB performance may have also introduced some instability into USB as the OS level. I don't have enough points of reference to be sure of exactly what's going on, but it's enough to bring it up (even if it is a bit vague). Anyone have something more substantial on this point? The tech with the most experience can repeatably get EITHER Capture One or Canon's Utility to freeze about 120 captures in with either a 5DII or 1DsIII using either his mac pro or his MBP. This is not at all to scare anyone off of updating to 10.5.6 (as long as they backup before hand and test thoroughly afterward as with any update). I mainly bring it up to get more input from the community.

And just out of habit I'll mention the 10.5.2 and higher issue with Type#Camera stealing control of the camera. Old news for most, but I got a call about it today.

And as always a full uninstall and reinstall helps to insure that everything is in it's proper place.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:50:01 pm by dougpetersonci »

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 07:19:54 pm »

There have been reports that the 10.5.6 update kills the ability to hardware-calibrate the more expensive monitors.

Edmund

Quote from: dougpetersonci
I've spoken to several digital techs who have said the 10.5.6 update which drastically improved tethered USB performance may have also introduced some instability into USB as the OS level.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

JohnAtBurn

• http://
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 08:21:21 pm »

Hey, this is John Simmons, the tech Doug was speaking of earlier. I remembered that Doug and Chris were right on top of that old "Type 8 camera.app" issue awhile back so I thought to check their blog and I noticed they hadn't posted anything on the "10.5.6 burst-of-doom" yet. So I called Doug to see if they'd seen the issue yet. I posted about it in the "Digital Cameras..." section a little while ago:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=31019

.. but i noticed this post and, anyway, you guys seem like you may be more familiar with the topic.

We were very excited about finally being able to use the 1DsmkIII tethered with the new 10.5.6 update, and it really was great until we got to 120-150 frames point whereupon it would freeze CaptureOne or EOS Utility (beach-ball forever). We've reproduced the crash about 6 or 7 times, both with the 1DsmkII and the new 5DmkII, and also with our 17" MacbookPro.

We finally heard back from Canon that the new EOS Utility was not tested with Mac OSX 10.5.6 and that they recommended not upgrading to 10.5.6 until they release an update. But 10.5.5 was so slow we ain't goin back to that either. Downgrading is a big hassle anyway.

Formerly the only remedy was to restart the computer, but as I was testing today I found if we used "Activity Monitor" app we could force-quit the application "Image Capture extension" (after force-quitting CaptureOne or EOS Utility) and that would allow us to reconnect our Canons without having to restart, but we would still consistently lose our last 10-14 exposures. Boo!

So anyway I am really pretty confident that the problem is the new OS upgrade. Whatever they changed with the USB has turned out to be a resounding failure with a number of people. In just researching this problem on the Apple forums, I can't tell you how many posts I ran into about the 10.5.6 update causing folks to completely lose their keyboard, mouse, wacom, flashdrive, usb harddrive, ipod, you name it.

But it is really sweet for a little while... watching those captures fly on in. If only we could get the photographers to SLOW down a little bit I bet this wouldn't be so bad an issue (yeah right, the only reason they're shooting DSLRs is because they're supposed to be fast). Anyway, feel free to chime in if you have any thoughts. We're kind of getting  frustrated at this point, so I appreciate any help you can offer, maybe even trying to reproduce the error yourselves, if you have any spare time. Thanks.

-John Simmons

JohnAtBurn

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 08:41:42 pm »

crap when i said "...about 6 or 7 times, both with the 1DsmkII and the..." i really meant:

1DsmkIII

jeez.

ziocan

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 10:01:31 pm »

Quote from: JohnAtBurn
We were very excited about finally being able to use the 1DsmkIII tethered with the new 10.5.6 update, and it really was great until we got to 120-150 frames point whereupon it would freeze CaptureOne or EOS Utility (beach-ball forever). We've reproduced the crash about 6 or 7 times, both with the 1DsmkII and the new 5DmkII, and also with our 17" MacbookPro.

-John Simmons
I had a similar problem in the past with another camera and software.
The problem was that when we reached 150/200 captures on the same folder the whole thing was freezing. The "patch" we were able to use, was of switching to a new folder before reaching 150 captures.
It was just a matter of stopping a few secs and switch to a new folder.
In any case even on these days of "free" film, doing more than 150 captures of the same thing is a bit insane.  

I think is worth a try.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:02:37 pm by ziocan »

JohnAtBurn

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 10:19:26 pm »

-The "patch" we were able to use, was of switching to a new folder before reaching 150 captures.

yeah i guess we may have to try that, but it can be difficult to stop the flow with some photographers. It would definitely beat having to restart. On the shoot where this problem reared its ugly head, they were shooting fashion and you know how that goes, it's not uncommon for someone to crank out 200-300 frames on one shot.

-John Simmons

bcooter

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 12:37:02 am »

Quote from: Cfranson

I've used macs my whole computer life and never thought I'd buy a PC for anything but business and checking files, formats, website in the pc envrionment, but after tethering the Canon with an Apple I got fed up and bought a 17" dell with Vista.  Running EOS utility it flies or at least flies as fast as anything I've shot tethered.

Actually, Vista is not that big of a leap from osX and has some nice features, but I'm not selling computers, actually don't care as long as something works.

The Dell is a monster in size and weight but has 640 gigs on two drives and is stable.  We recently bought a new Sony 14" for something under $900 and comparing it to the new macbooks I wouldn't say there was any difference in build quality, battery life or screen.  Apple really has moved their computers into the pc look so it's not like there is that much difference.

Anyway, when we tether the Canons I just use eos utility and it runs fine and there is an ap that lets you run a mac drive on a windows machine, so no reformatting drives.

Maybe Apple will work out their usb issues, but until then I have to use what works.

ziocan

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 12:39:44 am »

Quote from: JohnAtBurn
-The "patch" we were able to use, was of switching to a new folder before reaching 150 captures.

yeah i guess we may have to try that, but it can be difficult to stop the flow with some photographers. It would definitely beat having to restart. On the shoot where this problem reared its ugly head, they were shooting fashion and you know how that goes, it's not uncommon for someone to crank out 200-300 frames on one shot.

-John Simmons
I shoot fashion and I know what you mean.  
I feel really silly when I reach the 120 mark per shot.
Unless we are shooting some extremely difficult kind of motion, I think If I need to go above 120 captures per shot often, it is time to change job.

billy

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:57 am »

sorry if this is off topic, but I tried to ask Phase One tech support these questions but as usual they are worthless.....

1) when using V 4.6 sotfware, how do you select multiple images? in 3.7.9 I would hold the mouse down and drag down until the images I wanted to select would all turn blue, but with this version I have to manually click each image while holding the apple key down, one at a time. everytime I try to click and drag the mouse it just tries to move the first image selected into another location in the browser. by the way, when an image is selected it has a white frame that is really hard to notice, the old way of turning it blue was soooo much better.

2) where is the process menu? I cant figure out how to change the processing recipe , ie: small jpgs, medium jpgs, tiffs, 8 bit or 16bit

3) how can I turn the sharpening to always off? cant find the 'set as defaults' tab

4)what the hell is a variant? they use that word all over the place , I think it is a single photo, right?

I want to use this new software because there are some great things about it but geeze, it is not intuitive at all!

Imaginara

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 07:19:19 am »

Slightly off topic perhaps but since it was dealt with in this thread i thought i'd mention that also the 50D locks up the EOS Utility at the 100-120 mark on my macbook white.

Very annoying but workaround seems to be the norm so i guess doing a folder change every 120 frames is what you have to do.

Cheers!

Snook

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 08:08:05 am »

Quote from: billy
sorry if this is off topic, but I tried to ask Phase One tech support these questions but as usual they are worthless.....

1) when using V 4.6 sotfware, how do you select multiple images? in 3.7.9 I would hold the mouse down and drag down until the images I wanted to select would all turn blue, but with this version I have to manually click each image while holding the apple key down, one at a time. everytime I try to click and drag the mouse it just tries to move the first image selected into another location in the browser. by the way, when an image is selected it has a white frame that is really hard to notice, the old way of turning it blue was soooo much better.

2) where is the process menu? I cant figure out how to change the processing recipe , ie: small jpgs, medium jpgs, tiffs, 8 bit or 16bit

3) how can I turn the sharpening to always off? cant find the 'set as defaults' tab

4)what the hell is a variant? they use that word all over the place , I think it is a single photo, right?

I want to use this new software because there are some great things about it but geeze, it is not intuitive at all!

Ditto here..
How do you select several images and How the hell can you trash more than one image at a time..
Very Frustrating!!!
You have to trash images one at a time...  Can some one please post how the hell you can throw out several images at one time!!
Snook

Doug Peterson

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 09:20:41 am »

Quote from: billy

The reason Phase One TECH SUPPORT probably did not answer to your satisfaction is that these are not tech support issues. They are basic training.
1) Apple key will select or delselect individual items. The Shift Key will select a range of images. I agree the white border on the thumbnail is not prominent enough.
2) The process tab is likely hidden because by default the program launches with the last two tabs hidden off to the right. If you either click the double arrows pointing right, or drag the tools area wider then you will see the process (gear icon) and batch tabs (two gears)
3) The details pane has sharpening settings that you can turn down. If you want to disable sharpening that is in the process tab.
4) A variant is used to create different looks for a single raw file. The raw file on the hard drive is not duplicated. Instead Capture One itself keeps track of multiple ways of making it look. They appear as separate images on web contact sheets, can be processed as if they are separate images, but are otherwise just one raw file. Very powerful system (not dissimilar to those used by aperture or lightroom).

Doug Peterson

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2009, 09:25:04 am »

Quote from: Snook
Ditto here..
How do you select several images and How the hell can you trash more than one image at a time..
Very Frustrating!!!
You have to trash images one at a time...  Can some one please post how the hell you can throw out several images at one time!!
Snook

In 4.5.2 you had to press apple-option-delete to delete multiple (though this could be customized along with any other keyboard shortcut).

Because of general response and feedback this was changed. In 4.6 you now select multiple images and just push apple-delete. This again, can be customized if you choose.

Both of you would benefit tremendously from our online screen-sharing based training that we run for Capture One ($99 for 2 hours). The Masters level class even includes a Q&A with a member of Phase's software team who is okay being both a sage and a punching bag :-).  

Doug

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up