Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color management in CS4 Bridge generated web galleries  (Read 3441 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Color management in CS4 Bridge generated web galleries
« on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:55 pm »

Having trouble with the web galleries generated in Bridge CS4 with the Windows->Workspace->Output function.

In Bridge CS4 color management is applied in the html "Preview" mode, but when I look at the generated pages with Firefox, color management is not applied either in Bridge Preview mode or when viewing the generated html files.

I am using color management enabled Firefox, but somehow Firefox is not extending proper color management to the html pages coming out of Bridge CS4.  If I look at a normal web page or a CS3 generated html page in Firefox, color management works OK.  I have tried giving Bridge CS4 .psd's, sRGB jpgs, and .tifs with the same gruesome, oversaturated results.

Anybody?

Raw shooter

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32:47 am »

Quote from: bill t.
Having trouble with the web galleries generated in Bridge CS4 with the Windows->Workspace->Output function.

In Bridge CS4 color management is applied in the html "Preview" mode, but when I look at the generated pages with Firefox, color management is not applied either in Bridge Preview mode or when viewing the generated html files.

I am using color management enabled Firefox, but somehow Firefox is not extending proper color management to the html pages coming out of Bridge CS4.  If I look at a normal web page or a CS3 generated html page in Firefox, color management works OK.  I have tried giving Bridge CS4 .psd's, sRGB jpgs, and .tifs with the same gruesome, oversaturated results.

Anybody?

Yes, the Bridge Preferences, under Output needs a check mark next to Preserve Embedded Color Profile
This is what worked for my web galleries. I added a pic for you here.
Good luck

bill t.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:37:25 pm »

Quote from: Raw shooter
Yes, the Bridge Preferences, under Output needs a check mark next to Preserve Embedded Color Profile
This is what worked for my web galleries. I added a pic for you here.
Good luck
Thanks for that tip, that's certainly something that has to be done.

However, it doesn't solve the problem which seems to be with Flash Player 9.  On the Bridge Output screen the "Content" previews at the bottom are color managed, but as soon as the flash player is invoked to actually display the page, color management is ignored.  The older pages generated with CS3 work because they don't use the flash player.  I've got an email into Adobe tech support, hoping they can solve it.

Does anybody know if Flash Player 9 is color managed?  On the support site search "color manage" doesn't return very much.

Eyeball

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 08:17:02 am »

Flash 9 was not color managed.  Flash 10 apparently is.  Take a look at this post on John Nack's blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/10/get_b...rough_fp10.html

If you output the gallery as sRGB, does it still change colors even with Flash 9?  I had a little problem following your explained workflow.

= = =

Reading a little more, it appears that Flash 10 is color managed capable in terms of being able to use your calibrated monitor profile.  It still expects images to be in sRGB, however.  I strongly suspect that the "Preserve embedded profiles" in the Output preferences then does not apply to the Web Gallery, only the PDF contact sheet.

I am using Flash 10 and the web gallery looks OK to me even if I have ACR set to ProPhoto (I suspect that Bridge is doing an automatic conversion to sRGB for the Web Gallery).  I suspect that my Web Gallery under Flash 10 is using my monitor profile but I'm not 100% sure since the differences between using my monitor profile and not are rather subtle.

I suggest upgrading the Flash player to v10 and see if you notice a difference.  Since the Nack article mentions that certain switches need to be enabled in the SWF file for color management to be active, whether you see an improvement or not will probably depend on whether Bridge activates that switch correctly in the generated SWF or not.

= = =

Scrounging around a bit more in the Adobe Forums I see where Eric implies that a future update to LR (and presumably Bridge?) would activate the necessary switch to enable color management in the SWF if the viewer is using Flash 10.  If Eric sees this, maybe he could give us an update if that change has been made yet.  I don't see it mentioned in the update readmes so far so I suspect not.

Preliminary conclusion for Bill:  I suspect the difference you are seeing is due to the difference between having your monitor profile in use (Firefox, normal images) and not in use (Flash 9 and possible Flash 10 if an update hasn't included the necessary switch yet).  If you use your on-monitor controls to adjust for white point and luminance instead of letting your profiler make all the adjustments, I believe you will see less variation between your profile on and profile off modes.  I know some people say NOT to do this because it can cause banding but I do it and don't really see any ill effects (plus it minimizes differences if I am using a non-color managed program like IE).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:34:51 pm by Eyeball »

bill t.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:50:15 am »

Thanks Eyeball.  Looks like the best option is to stick with CS3 generated (Flash-less) web pages until the Flash color management gets sorted out.  Surely Adobe WILL sort it out, won't it?  (ahem)
Pages: [1]   Go Up