Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Fibre Silk 13x19 & Epson 4800  (Read 2049 times)

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
Gold Fibre Silk 13x19 & Epson 4800
« on: January 04, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »

I bought my first 2 packs of 13x19" Ilford gold fibre silk yesterday (yes Michael, I paid attention to Camera to Print) .... and I was struggling with the media handling on the Epson 4800.  I could not use the rear manual feed (it just wouldn't load) - and I didn't think it would ever work coming from the sheet tray ... so I did the manual FRONT load procedure.  Is this what most users are doing ?  Or, is there another way to load the paper that would work better.  BTW I did notice some smudging at the trailing edge - I trimmed it off to balance the print anyway - but would like to eliminate that.

I am trying to print an image on 13x19 that basically leaves a 2" white border on the left and right (and perhaps proportionally smaller on the top and bottom).  So, I final size in PS to say 15" x 9" and set the cell size in LR to also 15" x 9".

I am printing from Lightroom using Ilford's ICC profile for the 4800.  What settings are you recommending for the Epson driver (Paper Size).  I have been doing some test prints using 13x19" matte paper so I don't waste the good stuff by forcing the driver to borderless, Super A3, with Expansion set to MAX- then setting all the borders in LR for it's cell sizes to 0 - that way I can try to centre the image on the physical page.  However, it's still off-centre by 1/4".  Any better way to do this ?  I suppose I could set the top border to .11 of an inch but I think all that will do is scale the image down instead of forcing it down a bit.

thanks for the input

jc

JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?

francois

Gold Fibre Silk 13x19 & Epson 4800
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 05:35:28 am »

Quote from: jimcamel
I bought my first 2 packs of 13x19" Ilford gold fibre silk yesterday (yes Michael, I paid attention to Camera to Print) .... and I was struggling with the media handling on the Epson 4800.  I could not use the rear manual feed (it just wouldn't load) - and I didn't think it would ever work coming from the sheet tray ... so I did the manual FRONT load procedure.  Is this what most users are doing ?  Or, is there another way to load the paper that would work better.  BTW I did notice some smudging at the trailing edge - I trimmed it off to balance the print anyway - but would like to eliminate that.

I am trying to print an image on 13x19 that basically leaves a 2" white border on the left and right (and perhaps proportionally smaller on the top and bottom).  So, I final size in PS to say 15" x 9" and set the cell size in LR to also 15" x 9".

I am printing from Lightroom using Ilford's ICC profile for the 4800.  What settings are you recommending for the Epson driver (Paper Size).  I have been doing some test prints using 13x19" matte paper so I don't waste the good stuff by forcing the driver to borderless, Super A3, with Expansion set to MAX- then setting all the borders in LR for it's cell sizes to 0 - that way I can try to centre the image on the physical page.  However, it's still off-centre by 1/4".  Any better way to do this ?  I suppose I could set the top border to .11 of an inch but I think all that will do is scale the image down instead of forcing it down a bit.

thanks for the input

jc
Jim,
On my 3800 (with the same Ilford paper), I have problems if I use the rear manual feed system. I switched to the Sheet Feeder and now everything works fine. Also, I set the platten gap to wider.

I'm printing from a Mac and I made custom paper sizes (same sizes as A4, A3, A3+ etc. but with different margins). My prints are correctly centered.

Now, I don't know if my experience could be transposed to your 4800.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 05:36:48 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up