Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any fix for CS4 Windows blank menus with use of plugins?  (Read 1655 times)

stevenrk

• http://
Any fix for CS4 Windows blank menus with use of plugins?
« on: January 03, 2009, 06:31:30 pm »

A small new year puzzler, but anyone run into this problem?  The thread on adobe forums explains what is going on when any or a combination of plugins (all the Photokits, NIK and GF) are used with CS4 (latest updates that do work fine, but cause this issue):

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b6cf04/...80.h04PiHNA05Y@

Hope it is ok to link to this Adobe support forum thread, but it does save time getting to speed.

Since the last message in the thread, before I found it, is October, and now realize that the threads are sorted in one forum for all PS Windows based on original entry date only, I'm wondering if there was a fix found since October that anyone knows of?

If they had just held on to the menu item in the Window menu that let you select Horizontal or Vertical tilling life would be simple.  But loosing those and now having the Arrange Documents icon and selections go blank is annoying.  The problem is fixed if you uninstall the plugins.

Any fix that allow the use of the plugins and a fully functional CS4?  Doesn't seem from the thread that the way or location one installs is the issue.  Continuing on with CS3 is an easy fix, but happy to hold on to CS4 if I can get it to work properly -- out of the box, so to speak -- without having to loose my plugins. I have caught some hint that it could be an XP Pro issue (My OS is XP Pro 32).

Much appreciate any solutions.

Steven
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:32:21 pm by stevenrk »

stevenrk

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:29 pm »

FYI, found out a bit more for anyone running into this.

Some plugins cause the issue, some don't:  PK, PK sharpner, and GF up to 5.04 do not cause a problem -- and for my workflow the only plugins I use regularly.  PK Color 2, and NIK Colorefex cause the problem.  As do all the current version of all NIK plugins: the ones for BW, for noise reduction, resizing, and Colorefex 3.

That said, all you have to do to get past the issue is to open something like Colorefex and then close it.  The CS4 menu then work fine, and continue to until CS4 is closed.  So something is happening as some of the plugins are loaded which is "fixed" when they are opened once -- and you don't have to perform an action, just open and close.  So an easy Action that you can run when you open up CS4.

Imagine this is something that is more PS than the plugin makers and will end up being fixed in v11.01

And have to say the more fluid zoom in CS4 (as opposed to having to go to 25%,50%..., etc ) is very useful -- I do have a video card that supports this.  Also finding that CS4 is a faster program than CS3 with no changes to hardware, which is surprising given some things I have read.  The other new bits seem like nice gadgets (which no doubt have real value for some specific users) that one will rarely if ever actually use -- something like NIKColorefex.

Have also put in in a technical request to Adobe support, and will post anything of value provided.

Steven

mbalensiefer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:03 am »

My CS4 runs a lot slower for me than my CS3 Extended. All updates are installed. I seem to run out of RAM in CS4 at times, too. I am running 32-bit Vista with 4G RAM.
Pages: [1]   Go Up