Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H question  (Read 13057 times)

rsmphoto

• http://www.rsmphoto.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 04:42:19 pm »

Hardigg iM2450 Storm Case (much like Pelican and Tundra but MUCH better latches - they're MILSPEC). Carry-on never a problem. Holds H3DII-39 plus 3 lenses, 3 spare batteries, charger, cables, filters, with room to spare. My asst. carries the backup camera case and laptop. All lights get checked in baggage - very smooth.

Aurelio

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 07:44:18 pm »

LowePro Stealth Reporter D650AW is my choice to cary H body and up to 5 lenses, my laptop, batteries, chargers,cables etc, cost is about $150. Im sure there is a even better solution, but im very happy with this one.

elitegroup

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 07:54:25 pm »

Quote from: ziocan
I normally carry my cameras in a pelican (1510) that fit in the carry-on template and the laptop in another laptop bag and check all the lighting. I' have been able to carry the pelican and the laptop bag always with me.  Sometime I'm able to travel with my assistant and he can carry some extra stuff. Carrying anything in the pelican case has been possible until I was using 2 dslr bodies, 4 lenses, small hd and al the other junk that come along, but if I have to travel with a MF camera +back + dslr system as backup, it will be impossible to fit everything in the 1510. If I have to travel to a remote island or location, I do not feel comfortable if I do not have 3 bodies and back up lenses.
I had lighting been delayed to the following flight twice in the past and if you are on a tight schedule that could be a problem.
I know some people that check all the bags in, including cameras. I would never do that.

In any case even if the bag fit in the carry-on template, it does not mean that they will let you carry it on board. Once I was in london flying back to NY with Virgin Atlantic (never again!), and they asked me to put my camera bag on the scale (it was a temba that fitted in the carry-on template) and they said that since it was 12kg and their limit was 7kg I had to check the bag. I explained that there was at least 20 grands worth of equipment in it but they could not care less. after speaking with 2 managers, they still wanted me to check the bag. I had to ask TSA officer intervention and he let me carry the bag with me. I had similar problem with other airlines, but they were more flexible and they let me trough without any fuss.

Since the advent of digital it has become a problem flying with all the equipment and unfortunately clients rarely pay for business or first class ticket these days or they ask to hire an assistant locally where the shoot will be held on order to save on travel expenses.

Sorry to hear about the carry on weight issue  

I like Michael's approach and will give it a try if I'm ever asked to check my camera bag because of weight restrictions..................

[Quote/] "If an agent asks you to put your carry-on bag on the scale. Uh oh! It's 10 pounds over the limit.

Don't despair. What I do is simply take the heaviest body and lens and sling it over my shoulder, also putting a lens or two in a vest pocket (wearing a shooting vest when flying helps with this).

Since you're allowed to carry a camera, and the contents of your pockets and person aren't subject to weight restrictions(at least not yet), you're given a dirty look and then sent on your way. Round the corner and stop, put things back in the bag, and as the Brits say - Bob's your uncle. I have no problem doing this because enforcement of this particular rule by airline personnel seems to be both arbitrary and capricious." [End Quote]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:33:30 pm by elitegroup »

elitegroup

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 08:09:50 pm »

One more tip, make sure you're one of the first passengers on board this will always ensure you have sufficient space to store your carry on gear in the overhead baggage compartment  

P.S. Sorry, I can't help with the smiley faces  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:31:27 pm by elitegroup »

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 08:16:51 pm »

Quote from: rsmphoto
Hardigg iM2450 Storm Case (much like Pelican and Tundra but MUCH better latches - they're MILSPEC). Carry-on never a problem. Holds H3DII-39 plus 3 lenses, 3 spare batteries, charger, cables, filters, with room to spare. My asst. carries the backup camera case and laptop. All lights get checked in baggage - very smooth.

Wow those Hardigg cases are very nice! I will have a look at those too!
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

ziocan

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »

[quote name='elitegroup' date='Jan 4 2009, 07:54 PM' post='249467']
Sorry to hear about the carry on weight issue  

I like Michael's approach and will give it a try if I'm ever asked to check my camera bag because of weight restrictions..................

[Quote/] "If an agent asks you to put your carry-on bag on the scale. Uh oh! It's 10 pounds over the limit.

Don't despair. What I do is simply take the heaviest body and lens and sling it over my shoulder, also putting a lens or two in a vest pocket (wearing a shooting vest when flying helps with this).

Since you're allowed to carry a camera, and the contents of your pockets and person aren't subject to weight restrictions (at least not yet), you're given a dirty look and then sent on your way. Round the corner and stop, put things back in the bag, and as the Brits say - Bob's your uncle. I have no problem doing this because enforcement of this particular rule by airline personnel seems to be both arbitrary and capricious." [End Quote]

Michael tip is very good and on order of using it if necessary, I will have at least one body with the neck strap on.
On my episode with Virgin Atlantic, even michael trick it would had not worked either, since I was 6 or 5 kilos over weight for their standard.
After that episode, I always check the weight restrictions of the airline. It is quite a shame that Virgin Atlantic, which is not a budget airline and supposed to be stylish cool and what ever...., has weight limits of 6 kilos for carry on, while other airlines like Air France, Delta, Singapore etc ( even Alitalia) which are on similar fares, do have a limit of 12 kg.

Another thing I do now, is telling my clients before they do the flight booking, that I need to carry with me 12 kilos of cameras and junk. A couple of times they booked me business or first class ticket.

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 10:16:39 pm »

Quote from: ziocan
I normally carry my cameras in a pelican (1510) that fit in the carry-on template and the laptop in another laptop bag and check all the lighting. I' have been able to carry the pelican and the laptop bag always with me.  Sometime I'm able to travel with my assistant and he can carry some extra stuff. Carrying anything in the pelican case has been possible until I was using 2 dslr bodies, 4 lenses, small hd and al the other junk that come along, but if I have to travel with a MF camera +back + dslr system as backup, it will be impossible to fit everything in the 1510. If I have to travel to a remote island or location, I do not feel comfortable if I do not have 3 bodies and back up lenses.
I had lighting been delayed to the following flight twice in the past and if you are on a tight schedule that could be a problem.
I know some people that check all the bags in, including cameras. I would never do that.

In any case even if the bag fit in the carry-on template, it does not mean that they will let you carry it on board. Once I was in london flying back to NY with Virgin Atlantic (never again!), and they asked me to put my camera bag on the scale (it was a temba that fitted in the carry-on template) and they said that since it was 12kg and their limit was 7kg I had to check the bag. I explained that there was at least 20 grands worth of equipment in it but they could not care less. after speaking with 2 managers, they still wanted me to check the bag. I had to ask TSA officer intervention and he let me carry the bag with me. I had similar problem with other airlines, but they were more flexible and they let me trough without any fuss.

Since the advent of digital it has become a problem flying with all the equipment and unfortunately clients rarely pay for business or first class ticket these days or they ask to hire an assistant locally where the shoot will be held on order to save on travel expenses.

a friend of mine who shoots and flys around a lot, he has got around the weight but filling his pockets with lenses, and having a cam around his neck. but he has contax, and thats quite a bit smaller. i cant imagine walking to check in with a h1 and zoom around my neck.

i do fly quite a bit with more than 7kgs, you just have be tough and make it look light when you go past the security guy!

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

ziocan

Hasselblad H question
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 01:36:23 am »

Quote from: paul_jones
a friend of mine who shoots and flys around a lot, he has got around the weight but filling his pockets with lenses, and having a cam around his neck. but he has contax, and thats quite a bit smaller. i cant imagine walking to check in with a h1 and zoom around my neck.

i do fly quite a bit with more than 7kgs, you just have be tough and make it look light when you go past the security guy!

paul
I have been doing that for about 20 years without problems. The Virgin Atlantic bitcx at the check in just asked me to put the bag on the scale. At the end after speaking with 2 managers, I was able to talk with the Security guy and he allowed me on board with the bag.
Traveling with more than 7 kilos is generally not a problem and there is no need of many tricks, since most of the airlines have a 12kg. limit.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:58:18 am by ziocan »

terence_patrick

• http://www.terencepatrick.com
Hasselblad H question
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »

I travel with my gear in a Tamrac 691 rolling case used as the carry-on. Fully loaded, it has passed most airlines I've traveled on in the US and Europe. I have one that carries my Canon kit and another that used to carry my Mamiya gear, but is now loaded with Contax.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up