Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hit the Mark  (Read 4122 times)

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
Hit the Mark
« on: January 29, 2004, 12:42:12 pm »

Just remember that $4500 is MSRP or MAP or whatever, I got my 1Ds for $7200 when the MSRP was $8999. Once the initial buying rush is over, you'll probably be able to find it for $4000.

Leej

Hit the Mark
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 08:56:13 pm »

Are we to assume that the 10D replacement likely will not have the 8meg image receptor since they brought out the 1D II at a significantly lower price point than their full frame sensor?  I was hoping they might attempt to compete with the likes of the Nikon Coolpix 8700 or the Sony F828.  Makes one wonder why any casual shooter would opt for the Digital Rebel or D70 when you can simply go with the 828 or maybe the 8700 depending on the price point.  Ah well, a bit off topic I guess.

DaShiv

Hit the Mark
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 11:29:25 pm »

My (current) dream camera would use the same 8mp 1.3x crop CMOS chip as the 1DII, smaller buffer, slower FPS, fewer pro firmware/menu features, smaller body size (10D size), weather sealing, 45-point AF, and priced somewhere between 1DII and 10D.

It doesn't need to be a tank for pros, but it'd be nice to have the seals to match my lenses and a decent AF.   Alas, I'm guessing that Canon's going to stick to 1.6x crop factor for their amateur/semipro cameras though, even though the new chip is a nice size and resolution...

Scott_H

Hit the Mark
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 07:28:03 am »

Unfortunately, the 1DII is out of my price league.

I think Canon will have to do something in the 10D range though.  From what I can see Nikon hasn't limited the features on the D70 the way Canon has on the 300D.  Some people have pointed out the D70 actually hs some advantages over the D100.

For a new person, without glass, the D70 looks pretty attractive.
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

dbarthel

Hit the Mark
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 11:02:25 am »

My avocation is birds. Usually I print, rather than web presentations. Also do landscapes. Been using D60 and 10D, and lusted for focus system of 1D for flight shots.

Were I to spec a camera, the 1D-II would be it. For my use perfect in every regard. (Well, maybe $4,500 is pushing me).

Only problem is by the time I get mine, bird season in Florida will be almost over.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Dan

Paul Sumi

Hit the Mark
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 07:53:31 pm »

The 1D II's specs are the first that really caught my attention, a very nice blend of performance and quality.   If I were a pro, there would be no question.  Unfortunately for many of us non-pro's, other priorities such as a mortgage intrude.

But if the 1D II were to retail at ~ $3000, I'd step up.

Ray

Hit the Mark
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 10:38:42 pm »

The replacement of the 10d has to be at least 8MP. I'd like to see 12MP.  :D

Ray

Hit the Mark
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 11:44:51 pm »

Perhaps what is not generally realised, there's a significant distinction to be made between 'pixel pitch' and pixel size. The figures we're usually given (by dpreview et al) are all pixel pitch. We rarely get information on pixel size.

If Sony and Nikon can deliver 8MP on a sensor that's 1/16th the size of 35mm, I'm sure Canon can give us 12MP on their larger 10D sensor without compromising 'noise' too much.

Leej

Hit the Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 11:13:48 am »

Ray - I'm sure too that Canon can give us 8-12MP, but at what price?  Like Scott, the 1DII is out of my price range - way out!!  The 10D is a stretch for me, but I have some Canon mount lenses (actually Tokina ATX Pro) and would prefer to stay with Canon.  I shoot pics and have fun, but I'm retired and essentially on a fixed income - so I have to do it on the cheap as much as I can.  I may just keep shooting film through my EOS-5 for a bit longer while the digital dust settles.  (Hope my old Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 hold up.)  Gets a bit irritating when I take a shot of my grandchildren and they race over and say - "can I see the picture"!!

DaShiv - I love your dream camera - it would really need to be much closer to the 10D price point to work for me though.

Andythaler

Hit the Mark
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 02:01:20 pm »

Are we to assume that the 10D replacement likely will not have the 8meg image receptor since they brought out the 1D II at a significantly lower price point than their full frame sensor?  I was hoping they might attempt to compete with the likes of the Nikon Coolpix 8700 or the Sony F828.  Makes one wonder why any casual shooter would opt for the Digital Rebel or D70 when you can simply go with the 828 or maybe the 8700 depending on the price point.  Ah well, a bit off topic I guess.

Pixel count isn't everything. I would not advise you to base your decision solely on that feature of the camera.

If you go into the details of the reviews of those digicams, you'll find out which differences exist between dSLR's and high-pixel digicams.

There are people with requirements that are better met by the Sony, and other people for which the dRebel/D70 make a lot more sense.

You must figure out what is more important for you.

Regards,
Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up