Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing photos from my laptop?  (Read 1696 times)

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
Importing photos from my laptop?
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:07:55 am »

I have my main Lightroom v2 catalog on my PC with all my images stored as DNG, and while I was on a photo trip I created a separate catalog on my laptop for image goo while on the road. All those images are in CRW format, as converting to DNG was just too slow on the laptop.

Now that I'm home I want to take the images from my laptop, along with all the edits I've made, and get them into my desktop catalog as DNGs. So far I've tried:

1) Importing the catalog directly off the laptop's portable harddrive. This only seems to let me import the files "at the current location" and only as the existing image formats.
2) Saving all the metadata to XMP files, then importing files on disk just like any other file. I can convert to DNG this way, but I'm not seeing my image edits come along for the ride.

Am I missing something obvious here? What's the right way to do this. Thanks!

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Farkled

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 02:11:26 am »

Absent a better solution, copy to DVD and then import.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:23:06 am »

Quote from: Farkled
Absent a better solution, copy to DVD and then import.

I'm not sure how that would solve my problem. They are on a portable harddrive so moving them from one machine to another isn't the problem. It's importing them while converting to DNG and maintaining my edits from the laptop.

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:13:14 pm »

Open the catalog and first select: file-export as catalog. Then after re-opening in your main catalog select: file: import from catalog. Cheers, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up