Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uility of Postscript and wisdom of buying used printers  (Read 4731 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Uility of Postscript and wisdom of buying used printers
« on: December 31, 2008, 03:21:42 pm »

Hi All,

I just came across this great site. I only started to read on the many great conversations but have 2 questions:

First is that I'm considering a wide format printer for printing nature scenes. The HP Z3100, 24” version is one of the candidates. There is some debate on the use of Postscript. Some say it offers many “enhancements” over PCL while others say it only makes a difference when mixing text with other graphics. So far, I've only found some fuzzy statements and one reasonable example. The example was that if text and graphics is mixed, the text will show better on a postscript printer.

Can anyone provide some insight into this topic?

Second question is about the wisdom of buying a used printer. I found a Z3100 24” printer on Craigslist for about $1200. On the surface it is a nice savings, but I don’t know how to assess the implied costs of using this printer, or even how to test it beyond doing a test print. The owner is the 2nd owner and says there is about 500' of paper use. The printer is out of warranty. I called HP and they say they'll put a 1 year warranty on it for about $900, providing it passes their testing.

Any feedback on these topics is HUGELY appreciated

TIA

I look foreword to learning much from the members of this site.

Happy New Year!

dct123

• http://www.dctomick.com
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:56:42 am »

Quote from: Justan
Hi All,

I just came across this great site. I only started to read on the many great conversations but have 2 questions:

First is that I'm considering a wide format printer for printing nature scenes. The HP Z3100, 24” version is one of the candidates. There is some debate on the use of Postscript. Some say it offers many “enhancements” over PCL while others say it only makes a difference when mixing text with other graphics. So far, I've only found some fuzzy statements and one reasonable example. The example was that if text and graphics is mixed, the text will show better on a postscript printer.

Can anyone provide some insight into this topic?

Second question is about the wisdom of buying a used printer. I found a Z3100 24” printer on Craigslist for about $1200. On the surface it is a nice savings, but I don’t know how to assess the implied costs of using this printer, or even how to test it beyond doing a test print. The owner is the 2nd owner and says there is about 500' of paper use. The printer is out of warranty. I called HP and they say they'll put a 1 year warranty on it for about $900, providing it passes their testing.

TIA

I look foreword to learning much from the members of this site.

Happy New Year!

The PS version is a lot more than just a postscript printer. You can do Pantone matching for CMYK proofs, and the ps gp comes with an on board profiling system for monitor and printer. It also comes with a larger hard drive, and from my own experience, it will print over 12' in length images. There are other minor differences, but the question is: what do you want a large format printer to do?

As far as purchasing a used printer...I'd have HP check out the printer and get the warranty, and base the sale on whether it passes HP's checkup.

I have both the Z3100 and Z3200 machines and the only differences between the two are slightly better reds and slightly less star wheel tracking with the Z3200. The z3200 also has a larger hard drive (80GB) and prints a little faster. Both machines perform flawlessly for me day in and day out. I make a living from printing artist's reproductions and photographer's display prints.

BradSmith

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 01:55:18 pm »

One more thing to consider in determining how good a deal this is........how much ink is in the printer?  It isn't cheap to replace the cartridges.  
Brad

Hi All,

.......Second question is about the wisdom of buying a used printer. I found a Z3100 24” printer on Craigslist for about $1200. On the surface it is a nice savings, but I don’t know how to assess the implied costs of using this printer, or even how to test it beyond doing a test print. The owner is the 2nd owner and says there is about 500' of paper use. The printer is out of warranty. I called HP and they say they'll put a 1 year warranty on it for about $900, providing it passes their testing.

TIA

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 02:26:56 am »

   The PS version is a lot more than just a postscript printer. You can do Pantone matching for CMYK proofs, and the ps gp comes with an on board profiling system for monitor and printer. It also comes with a larger hard drive, and from my own experience, it will print over 12' in length images. There are other minor differences, but the question is: what do you want a large format printer to do?

Thanks for the explanation! In answer to your question, I'm going to be doing mostly nature photos. So far I've done about 30 studies on a HP 130 and concluded that, while the results were good, I wanted a nicer printer. The Z3100 is definitely that. The primary goal is to assemble a portfolio of about 40 images, each in 3 sizes. I'm going to do several, I guess, they’ll be production runs of the portfolio. I wasn’t sure if pcl would provide the best tools for this kind of task.

   As far as purchasing a used printer...I'd have HP check out the printer and get the warranty, and base the sale on whether it passes HP's checkup.

Great suggestion! I’ll call hp and ask them what’s involved.

   I have both the Z3100 and Z3200 machines and the only differences between the two are slightly better reds …

In what ways are the reds better?

   …and slightly less star wheel tracking with the Z3200.

I don’t know what star wheel tracking is. Would you kindly explain?

   Both machines perform flawlessly for me day in and day out.

That’s the part I'm most looking for!

   I make a living from printing artist's reproductions and photographer's display prints.

That sounds like a very cool way to make a living. I may have many questions, if you’re willing….

If all goes well I’ll be picking up the printer early next week. Or, rather, I'll be moving it. At a stated 143 lbs, i can't lift it wihout damaging my aged back.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:28:19 am by Justan »

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 02:32:25 am »

> One more thing to consider in determining how good a deal this is........how much ink is in the printer? It isn't cheap to replace the cartridges.

Brad

Very good point. The seller sent me images of the printer’s stats. Some showed the ink cartridges are at more or less half full and under warranty.

I saw on HP’s site that cartridges are about $80 each. Where do y’all buy ink??

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:03:08 am »

I saw on HP’s site that cartridges are about $80 each. Where do y’all buy ink??

There are two varieties of cart packs, the Twin Packs contain 260 ml in total and the price here is approx. 29 Eurocents a ML without VAT.

While the ink content delivered with the printer can be important for a decision on a desktop model, the economy of ink use on a wide format may be more important. The Z models are frugal in ink use, what lands on the paper must be close to 99%.

Ernst Dinkla

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

walter.sk

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 01:52:44 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla
There are two varieties of cart packs, the Twin Packs contain 260 ml in total and the price here is approx. 29 Eurocents a ML without VAT.

While the ink content delivered with the printer can be important for a decision on a desktop model, the economy of ink use on a wide format may be more important. The Z models are frugal in ink use, what lands on the paper must be close to 99%.

Ernst Dinkla

Another thing to consider.  By the time you pay $1200 for a used printer and $900 for a one-year warranty after HP tessts the printer, you are right about where the Z3100's are selling on line.  I think you would be better off getting a new one at the reduced cost.  A search on line should turn out several options.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 03:42:21 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
Another thing to consider.  By the time you pay $1200 for a used printer and $900 for a one-year warranty after HP tessts the printer, you are right about where the Z3100's are selling on line.  I think you would be better off getting a new one at the reduced cost.  A search on line should turn out several options.

Hmmm. Excellent point! Prior to your comment, I’d only looked at hp, ebay and craigslist. I did a search and found a shiny new Z3100 for $2087 delivered. So I bought it.

It’s in SoCal so it should be here in a few days if they can plow a path through the relentless snow storms to be coming our way.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I owe you a drink!

This is gonna  be so cool!!!

dct123

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 01:26:14 pm »

Hmmm. Excellent point! Prior to your comment, I’d only looked at hp, ebay and craigslist. I did a search and found a shiny new Z3100 for $2087 delivered. So I bought it.

It’s in SoCal so it should be here in a few days if they can plow a path through the relentless snow storms to be coming our way.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I owe you a drink!

This is gonna  be so cool!!!

Jack Daniels & Coke

I feel your excitement! BTW: Don't toss the 130...it does an excellent job on photographs, especially on the HP Premium Plus Satin. I still have photographers who prefer the look of their prints from the 130 over anything from the Zs.

Now...get ready...to spend another $3-4k on paper and a complete set of twin-pack ink cartridges!

I believe there's a wealth of info to be found on this fantastic forum. When I started out with my first Z, I printed out all the info that I found interesting and filed it in a large 3-ring binder w/subject tabs...and still refer back to various articles and links from time to time. There are some really knowledgable people on this forum. However, have fun learning your new printer and concern yourself with printing fantastic photos without getting caught up in the minutiae.

DC Tomick

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 12:56:39 pm »

Quote from: Ernst Dinkla

Ernst Dinkla

Thanks. I haven't used yahoo groups before. I logged on, but finding something related to sources for ink cartridges is illusive. Any recommendations on navigating yahoo groups?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »

Quote from: dct123
I feel your excitement! BTW: Don't toss the 130...it does an excellent job on photographs, especially on the HP Premium Plus Satin. I still have photographers who prefer the look of their prints from the 130 over anything from the Zs.

Interesting. I've been using that paper with the 130. It is a good combination. It'll be interesting to compare the results between the 130 and the Z.

Now...get ready...to spend another $3-4k on paper and a complete set of twin-pack ink cartridges!

The ink is definately pricy, but given 1 day availability (and a complete lack of urgent needs on my part) i'm not planning on buying extra ink in the near future. But IIRC, it is about $900 for a complete set of ink. For paper, i'm going to settle with about 4 types of paper, probably based on the combination of longevity and gamut. But i'm completely open to suggestion!

For me, the next major expense will be buying tools and supplies related to frame creation - mat cutter, media cutter, glass, mat board, clear plastic bags and the related tools are in upcoming buying sprees.

Also, what does everyone use for paper cutting? The big guillotine cutters are as pricy as the printer!

I believe there's a wealth of info to be found on this fantastic forum. When I started out with my first Z, I printed out all the info that I found interesting and filed it in a large 3-ring binder w/subject tabs...and still refer back to various articles and links from time to time. There are some really knowledgable people on this forum. However, have fun learning your new printer and concern yourself with printing fantastic photos without getting caught up in the minutiae.

DC Tomick

Agreed! Thanks for your feedback!

dct123

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:42 pm »

Only one paper trimmer as far as I'm concerned...Rotatrim 'M' model. You can convert it easily to cut both directions. It cuts clean, fast and you have absoute control of accuracy. In addition to prints, it will cut mat and 8-ply backerboard.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 06:46:05 pm »

Quote from: dct123
Only one paper trimmer as far as I'm concerned...Rotatrim 'M' model. You can convert it easily to cut both directions. It cuts clean, fast and you have absoute control of accuracy. In addition to prints, it will cut mat and 8-ply backerboard.

Many thanks for this info! I've been looking into mat cutters and am going to start a thread on the topic. There are so many  - cutters...

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 07:27:01 am »

Thanks. I haven't used yahoo groups before. I logged on, but finding something related to sources for ink cartridges is illusive. Any recommendations on navigating yahoo groups?

The usual way to check for cart prices is to use a robot through Google. For example for Germany: Preisroboter. As I'm in Europe there's no sense in giving you a company name here. The URL below my name is just an invitation to try a mailing list on wide formats.

Ernst Dinkla

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:19:30 am »

Thanks! Has anyone here looked into doing a group purchase for ink or paper? Not sure if there is much or any value but this seems like the perfect group to do this kind of thing.

I'll have to spend some time looking through the Wide Inkjet Printers group on yahoo. If it’s anywhere near as knowledgeable as this group, it will be a delight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up