Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charleston, SC in March of ‘09  (Read 4968 times)

daleeman

• http://
Charleston, SC in March of ‘09
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:45:47 am »

Greetings all, planning a wonderful getaway to do photography and birding in the Charleston South Carolina area in late March (25th-29th).

I’m looking for suggestions for:
Wildlife photography, especially birds
Landscapes, both waterfront and inland
Architecture of the old parts of town
Street photography, open markets things like that

A lot to cover in a few days, so I can really use your inputs. I am an early riser so being onsite for sunrise will be easy and will be driving there so the long lenses can go as well for wildlife.

So please share freely what you have seen, what to avoid like dangerous places and if you have links to your works, I would be grateful to see what you have seen. If you live in the area, please speak up, especially if you are a birder, we, my wife and I would love to learn from locals. Would really enjoy organizing an outing for locals and those taking a pilgrimage to Charleston at the end of March.

Hope to post what we see shortly after we return so others can follow the thread and enjoy the same.

Thanks for your input.
Lee

dalethorn

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:27:29 pm »

I did Charleston in March '08 - have had relatives there for 50 years.  The first scene here is a park in midtown, the second is just a small area of weeds etc. behind the Hampton Inn on the near end of Mt. Pleasant, looking at the new bridge.

If you go east/north from Mt. Pleasant, there are some historical sites, and far enough, you get to some wild areas like near Bulls(?) Island.  My brother's house there is about 3/4 mile from his front gate - gives you some idea of the size of the lot.  I photo'd an alligator on his front lawn.

In town you can take a buggy ride - recommended because of the guide's description of the properties.  You need to spend a whole day (or two) walking around downtown, from the battery in to town, since there are so many little things around so many corners.  The Confederate museum has many artifacts of the Civil War, and the people there are happy to answer questions.

West of the Ashley river are some large plantations such as Charlestown Landing.  Don't miss that!  Spectacular photo scenes there.  If you really want to get a preview of what to see, send for the DVD "Discover Charleston", which is sold in many places in town and at the tourist stops.

One comment about the food - lots of small places there put out a lot of unique dishes.  You can eat there for years and never get the same thing twice.

DonWeston

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:46 am »

Don't know too much about wildlife in March time of yr. but was there a couple of months ago, as my brother in law, Barry,  lives down there, beautiful city and climate much better this time of year then up here in the NE...would not say the same in summer, but personal taste and not what you asked about, hehe. Anyway, lots to shoot there, Battery Park, Shem Creek area, beautiful mansions near Battery Park, Rainbow Row, Tradd Street, Old Market in heart of city.   They also have other tours that are neat if it is your thing like Ghost tours, Duck tour style excursions etc...lots to do, great resturants like Pennachios, which was just a few minutes near by inlaws outside the city, etc....

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 02:38:22 pm »

[quote name='daleeman' date='Dec 31 2008, 10:45 AM' post='248273']

Greetings all, planning a wonderful getaway to do photography and birding in the Charleston South Carolina area in late March (25th-29th).

I’m looking for suggestions for:
Wildlife photography, especially birds
Landscapes, both waterfront and inland
Architecture of the old parts of town
Street photography, open markets things like that"

For birding there is the raptor center in Awendaw and Bull's Bay area north on Hwy 17 and the Caw Caw center south of Charleston also on Hwy 17. There is a monster great blue heron that hangs out at Waterfront Park, downtown.
For marsh shots you need to get out to the barrier islands.
The Battery and surrounding area for architecture. Maybe hit a plantation or two.
The Market downtown on Market St (what else?) and surrounding area for street photography.
See my site for more ideas.
Regards, John
www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com

petermarrek

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:52:18 pm »

Jt on my way home to Canadaust south of Charleston is the Waccamaw River. I usually pass through on a boaert on my way home to Canada. Incredible numbers of Osprey and Bald Eagles, things are just starting to get green at that time. Peter

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 09:38:44 am »

From Charleston, you are less than 2 hours from Huntington Beach State Park and Brookgreen Gardens, two of the best birding spots in South Carolina. HBSP is terrific for birders in late March/early April. You can bird (and shoot) along the causeway with a freshwater pond on one side and a tidal salt marsh on the other. Shorebirds and ducks galore, along with a large colony of black crowned night herons. You can walk the mile+ to the jetty at the north end of the park for piping, semipalmated, and Wilson's plovers, along with gannets, loons, and other sea birds. The jetty is best during or after bad weather. Last year I think our species total was about 125, and we weren't working all that hard.

Brookgreen Gardens is a private park with statuary and extensive gardens. Very pretty in early spring. Great birding for migrants in the gardens, also they have a rice paddy with a viewing platform. Plenty of good birds in there (we had great views of sora and king rails right under the platform.)

Finally, there is a local middle school near HBSP which supposedly has red cockaded woodpeckers in a pine tree in the front parking lot. We went by last weekend, but never saw the birds. The holes are pretty obvious, though. You'll need to ask around, maybe on the Carolina birding list, to get exact directions. It's off Sandy Island Road.

There is another SC state park called Hunting Island -- note the confusing similarity of the name. It's closer as the crow flies to Charleston, but it actually takes a little longer to drive there. Also a good birding spot, but if I had to pick one, it would be HBSP.

If you want more information, you can email me privately. Good birding and have fun.

--Ken Bennett

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

tyleerb

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 04:56:10 pm »

The Angel Oak is just outside Charleston and is a sight to see even if you don't want to photograph it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Oak

daleeman

• http://
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 07:09:02 pm »

Quote from: tyleerb
The Angel Oak is just outside Charleston and is a sight to see even if you don't want to photograph it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Oak
Thanks, I'll put it on my list.
Pages: [1]   Go Up