Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Drivers: Real frustration!  (Read 1690 times)

walter.sk

Z3100 Drivers: Real frustration!
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:56:52 am »

I've been using my Z3100GP ps. for over a year now with WinXPPro, and have kept up with firmware and driver updates as well as updates for HP-APS and the Printer Utility.  I have had no problem printing from CS3 & CS4, but do almost all of my printing from Qimage.  I use the Raster driver, and the printer comes up as HP Z3100ps PCL3.

Recently I have been getting a warning in the Printer Utility that there is a new driver available for the Z3100.  I went to the HP website and found that there is no driver newer than the one I am using.  I opened Printers & Faxes in the control panel and right-clicked on the Z3100 icon, the only one listed, and was told when I tried to get the Properties dialogue that there is no driver installed, would I like to install the driver.  I navigated to the folder where the HP files reside and found the driver file that the Drivers wizard was looking for, and went through the installation, thinking that would end the misinformation problem.  After rebooting the computer, I am still left with Windows telling me that there is no driver installed, and with the Printer Utility telling me that there is a driver upgrade available.

I deleted the Z3100 from the Printers & Faxes dialogue as well as deinstalling all of the HP drivers and software, and rebooted the printer and computer.  I then downloaded a fresh copy of the same driver, unzipped it and installed it.  It asked if I wanted to install the Z3100, and it then installed the driver and all of the associated software.  I went to CS4 and Qimage and was able to print successfully from both.  

Guess what?  The Printer Utility still tells me there is a new version of the driver available, and I still cannot open the Printer Properties from Printers & Faxes without being told there is no driver installed.  What else, besides getting a Mac, can I do?

rdonson

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:09:08 am »

Hi Walter,

I have a base Z3100 with XP Pro and have been getting the false pop ups about new driver software for a year.  Like most of the things about the HP software for the Z the pop up notice is frustrating and annoying.  I haven't taken the time to figure out if I can disable it.  I just ignore it.  Other than consuming screen resources and real estate its easy to ignore.

Regards,
Ron

Xanthor

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 03:03:45 pm »

I have that printer utility on two computers - both with XP Pro.

On the computer I use the most (with photoshop) I have no problems.

On the other it constantly tells me there is a new version.  So I reinstalled the software (the same "newest" version) from a download from HP - on top of itself - and it went away.

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »

I guess I can live with it, more so in Printer Utillity than in the Properties dialogue in Windows.  This is where we are supposed to be able to go to the About tab and get specific information on all the files used in the driver, and the exact driver version number. As long as Properties thinks there is no driver installed, I can't get to the About tab.  Oh, well.  I guess there could be worse issues with the printer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up